What did you do to your car today?

CrazyWJ242

Veteran Member
TDI
04 MK4 Jetta Wagon TDI, 03 Beetle TDI
I have some rust to repair on the drivers side rear door, 2 large holes, (started to rust around the trim pieces) as well as replace the lower hinge on the passenger side rear door thats been giving me a loud clunk on nearly every hole on the road...

Going to patch the hole as i have the materials to do a proper patch, but will be ordering a new door skin when i get a chance.

Aswell as a EGR delete... debating on removing the shut down plate... but the idea of closing it if the engine runs away is a good idea to keep it...

Last edited:

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Upon re-installation this time, one of the stacked coils shifted ever so slightly. Enough to strip the new bolt going in :rolleyes:
Mine broke on the highway back in Nov 2010. Thank g_d for the diesel-geek's alloyed skid plate.:D Held everything from dropping on the ground.

You were the member alerting us all about the cam and followers on the MK4's too.... and that was replaced just a few months after that Get-2-gether up in New Hampshire when everyone was checking out your wear. It's worth putting the doe into these cars as they age. I keep passing mile stones where 40,000 or 50,000 miles pass and I say ...most people would traded in their car. So far this Golf '02 has outlived 3 new cars that have come and gone out of my driveway over this past decade.:D

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Upon re-installation this time, one of the stacked coils shifted ever so slightly. Enough to strip the new bolt going in and make it impossible to torque down. so... new mount it was, then!
Back in the old days, she never would have gotten away with a statement like this on the NE Forum. It would have gone something like this:

She said, "stacked....and strip...heh heh, and bolt going in...and mount..heh heh and torque down. :eek::eek:"

Yeah, we're much more mature now in the NE crowd since Zippy moved away...wait a minute maybe there's a correlation....

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Bought a vnt20 :D
Waiting by the mailbox :eek:
I had a terrible time with clogging vnt mechanisim on both the vnt20s i had.... Hope yours is better. With all the trouble you are taking for install, id recomend getting a gtb series turbo instead.

gioTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Did you do it yourself or have someone do it?
Was it very difficult?
I has a FIS on my car and the display is good, but you never know what could happen.
I did it my self, this is my 2 cluster that i changed the lcd, difficult not really, but i have prior experience in Soldering, for you if your FIS is good i don't recommend messing with it

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
New wheels on the Golf:

I've decided that the 17s that come on these cars are the result of a marketing decision, not an engineering decision. I've had the 15s on and off the car twice and it accelerates, rides, and steers noticeably better with the 15s. And I'm betting it'll help FE, too.

Probably not a popular choice, but I like them. Offset is nice, and they look OE, because they are (from a Passat).

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
The question is, what was Zippy wearing when she did this?
Black yoga pants and my KY :p T-shirt...with flip flops. :eek: At least I was wearing a shirt in the garage this time. :rolleyes:

Back in the old days, she never would have gotten away with a statement like this on the NE Forum. [snip]
Yeah, we're much more mature now in the NE crowd since Zippy moved away...wait a minute maybe there's a correlation....
Perhaps I've matured up a little since then too. California's making me "go soft." BWAHAHAHA... hardly. It's just that I'm more picky about what I say when I say it now. Not many on the west coast forums have this same sense of twisted humor, so I've learned to reserve my commentary for you guys when I come home.

Mine broke on the highway back in Nov 2010. Thank g_d for the diesel-geek's alloyed skid plate.:D Held everything from dropping on the ground.

You were the member alerting us all about the cam and followers on the MK4's too.... and that was replaced just a few months after that Get-2-gether up in New Hampshire when everyone was checking out your wear. It's worth putting the doe into these cars as they age. :D
I'm glad your skid plate was able to hold everything in, kinda like a girdle. ;)I keep telling myself that putting the money into Zippy to keep her running is worth it. It hurts on the initial payment of parts and labor, but it's a labor of love (and hate) and it keeps me from having another car payment. I just checked on my cam (the Bilstein cam I replaced the OEM one with after that same H05G GTG) and it's still good, tho starting show show a little wear. it'll be good for awhile longer. The biggest thing that all this recent work has done, is gotten rid of the "mystery vibration" (have fun with that one, Mike) that's been happening at certain RPM intervals for 4 years. Turns out the shop that replaced my right axle, put in a cheap china-part one that was only half the diameter of the OEM spec. Once it was replace, vibration/resonance went away! Though, Matt's still convinced it wasn't the axle, that it might have been the serpentine tensioner or similar, I still think it was the axle. Either way, I'm happy because it's fixed!

stubb's

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta wagon
Oldpoopie, I got the vnt20 pretty cheap. It was just rebuilt so hopefully it will work well.
By the way thanks for offering to look for that cam gear the other day.
Aaron found one for me.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Bought a vnt20 :D
Waiting by the mailbox :eek:
Hopefully with a "return to sender" tag...

Others have been there (~6 years ago) and the effort vs reward compared to the newer GTB offerings (or even the bolt in hybrids) makes for a disapointing outcome.

The bolt in hybrids will get you 80+% of the way there for 20% of the effort (and be very drivable).

The GTB's will leave the VNT20 in the dust for the same effort and perform better everywhere.

shadowhand

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Changed my air filter, vacuumed out the airbox (lots of maple seeds, ***?), continued to work on wiping down the engine bay... not much left I can clean without disconnecting hoses and unbolting things. Fixed the two broken clips on the floor mats.

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Got my first 50+ mpg tank! 50.45mpg to be exact. The best I've been able to get when trying has been 47.9 but this week I pumped my tires up from 35psi to 41 and lo and behold without even trying I got 50.45! After I get my IQ just right and really try on a few tanks my goal is to hit 55 :0)

shadowhand

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI

Chuckler3

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5sp (Alaska Green) 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI BEW 5-sp
Removed my ECU and packaged it for shipping to Jeff at Rocketchip. Very excited to get this done. I had been running a digi box that wasn't taking full advantage of the installed vnt-17 currently in the car. I also learned that I should really clean my engine bay. I wonder if there is anything safe for the rubber hoses that won't dry them out.

Hopefully next Tuesday I will be back on here freaking out about my improved power.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Chuckles, you are gonna love it, but if you haven't already, I higly suggest you look into an upgraded intercooler. the heat kills the power. and the stock unit is just not up to the task of the southern heat.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
BRM w/ PD 140 Turbo from IDParts+RC Tune

Finally I got around to getting a dyno on my '06 BRM that I've been upgrading with much help from CEVANS, Jeff of RocketChip, Peter at IDParts and George, Panoramica and my good friends at Rennen along with RyanP who provided upgraded injectors (PD 150's)

Here's a link to the dyno itself:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=3428472263586

As you can see it's a bit over fueled:D

And the dyno curves:

I'm pleased with the typical curves from Jeff of RocketChip. 180 whp and 300 ft/lbs at the wheels. This car is a pleasure to drive!!

Chuckler3

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5sp (Alaska Green) 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI BEW 5-sp
Chuckles, you are gonna love it, but if you haven't already, I higly suggest you look into an upgraded intercooler. the heat kills the power. and the stock unit is just not up to the task of the southern heat.
I'm working with a limited budget, but a deployment for the better part of next year might open some doors to getting my list of other things done. I may end up doing a cam when I do my TB later this year. I'm to understand that I'll be most of the way into it by the time I'm getting to the TB anyways. Might as well take the money I was going to spend having someone else doing the tb and use it to take care of a cam before it has the chance to become problematic.

Thanks for the heads up though.