LM Engine Flush

russdawg24

TDI
'13 Passat SEL w/DSG
Has anyone used it in their engine? What were your results/impressions of it? Considering using it but would like to hear real world experience with it

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
used it after 400,000 km. Feeling is good, since the engine still is running smooth, even at 30/40 below

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
1. Remove valve cover.
2. Examine contents.
3. What do you see? Nice engine parts, thin brown film? Piles of black goo?

If you see lots of black goo all over, then maybe it would be advised, but a change of like, using a liter of ATF with the oil change, run for 15 minutes, drain, fill with regular oil and a new filter will work just as well.

If you don't see an ugly problem, no need to do anything. 999 out of 1000 TDIs (or maybe better) will be just fine. If good oil is used, and regular oil changes within recommended service intervals are followed, you will never need to worry about doing engine flushes to get rid of accumulated sludge.

Cheers,

PH

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
on really sludged engines we will use a flush occasionally but it is for last minute life saving measures so to speak. If they sludged enough to need it there are other maintenance problems.

We use a brand made by BG and it states clearly in the instructions to not drive or strain the engine at all and go no more that 20 minutes. It is a solvent after all and undermines the lubricity of the oil, so not recommended on any healthy engine.

russdawg24

TDI
'13 Passat SEL w/DSG
Thanks everyone. I should be a bit more specific on my situation. I purchased a used TDI with about 88k miles. Now, after the purchase, I have suspicion that the incorrect oil (non synthetic) was used for a short time (~1k miles). So I am thinking this might be a good way to help flush the system. I did change with Liqui Molly oil and a new filter.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
You will be fine. Might change the new oil you just put in a little sooner than normal just for good measure.

Non synthetic oil for that short of time should be fine. Better for the engine than a caustic flush solution.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
russdawg24: Some of the advice above is for pre-CR TDIs, and might not be applicable to your engine.
I know you're new here, and trying to get up to speed. I think you're over-thinking all of this. Less then 1k miles of non-spec oil probably didn't do anything to your engine.