00 auto
Hello,
This may be a relatively easy one,
right now i have a 2000 jetta tdi with about 280k miles on it,
besides the electrical junk failing in these cars
and a bad IP pump, everything has been normal stuff

I am on the east cost and it is starting to rust,
i was thinking of getting a 2009+ , but i have a few questions

Are they as simple to work on as the 1.9?
Should they last as long as a 1.9?
are they reliable?
anything else would be great,

also kinda wondering what would happen with this whole diesel gate,
Seeing that i would not be the first owner how would it work
i read some place that the first owner gets money too? but what if i dont want to sell it back to VW

any input i great,
thank you,
dave

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
The owners do but you had to own before a set date. Stick with your alh. What you would pay to get a new one you can get yours fixed and sprayed with lineX like I'm going to do. Prevent future rust on the body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
if you can wait a couple more months, more specific details will be available re: the fix and impact on things. my guess is that there will be a fix and some impact on operation, but not a huge deal. (MPG, performance, maintenance...)

there are more than a few CR cars with well over 200,000 miles, and few issues.

there are expensive, complicated emission treatment systems on the cars, and quite a few parts which are more complicated than the ones on earlier cars.

but there are improvements as well,

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Hello,

are they reliable?

thank you,
dave
No
No
I don't think so.
I just spent 80 hours repairing the floorboard rust on a B4V and would do so again rather that get an over engineered and poorly built newer TDI.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Hello,

are they reliable?

i read some place that the first owner gets money too? but what if i dont want to sell it back to VW

any input i great,
thank you,
dave
Loaded question, and you'll get lots of opinion as answers. Here is what I can tell you as a guy that works on them every day:

Newer means more complex, which means more opportunity for fragile stuff to need attention. It also means a LOT more stuff in the same areas, so less room.

I feel the A4 cars are really the best blend of old and new in the A-platform VAG cars, in specific those available here with a TDI engine. They started with a clean slate, so the A3's globbed on systems and equipment that was essentially a bloated A2 is gone, and in its place is a more sophisticated electrical system with FAR better OBD capabilities, better driveline mounting, and all new 4 cyl engine that kept the good of the old engines and made them better, much easier lock carrier assembly R&R and just generally a better layout. Better brakes, too. And the TDI engines available in the A4, either the ALH or the BEW, are really amazingly good, with a slight nod in favor of the ALH due to its simplicity and general ease of service. I'd say the only turd in the punchbowl of that layout is the optional 01M automatic transmission, and that is just with the ALH, the BEW gets a better 09A Jatco which is not only proving to be much more durable, is less of a hit on performance and fuel economy over the 01M given it has an extra gear.

The A5 is again a clean slate, bigger, heavier, and more refined in general. They drive better, especially on twisty roads, uneven surfaces, etc. They have a superior suspension layout, even better brakes, and even some better OBD arrangement as well as some really nice things like removable door skins (seriously, the A5 Golf/Jetta is the most awesome car to do anything inside the doors on, they are super easy to work on). The rest of the car is pretty easy to work on too. Lock carrier assembly is even easier to remove, electric steering makes removal of the subframe with rack VERY easy, and the PD TDI engine in them is well laid out for the most part and not terribly bad to service and repair no matter what it might need. Downside to the BRM is that it is no more powerful than the BEW, and it is in a heavier car. Fortunately, the two-pedal version got the 02E DSG transmission, which is a 6 speed, and does an admirable job of making the best use of the engine's power and if you can get used to the sometimes strange shifting habits they work well and deliver decent fuel economy.

The later A5, 2009 and 2010 (as well as all the wagons through '14), and really the A6 Golf which isn't much different than the A5 just a further refinement of the same basic arrangement, which is what I think you are asking about specifically, brings a really great running engine with a LOT more power and refinement to the already excellent chassis.... BUT... with that commonrail TDI engine comes a LOT more complexity. And it is all stuffed into the same hole the BRM occupied. So not only are most all items more complex if you compare apples to apples, like a thermostat for instance (takes thrice as long on the CJAA as it does a BRM), but the CR engines have more items that the earlier TDIs simply do not have.

You'll never have to worry about your ALH needing an oxygen sensor.... doesn't have one. The CR engines have TWO. ALH has no EGT sensor... CR engines have THREE. CR engines also have two completely independent EGR systems, both of which are electronic. Your ALH just has one, that is worked by a simple PWM solenoid working on a vacuum actuator. The entire ALH EGR system can be swapped out inside of an hour, and not cost very much. The CR's EGR systemS would take more than a day and would cost a couple grand.

ALH has a simple one way non-monitored catalyst. The CR has a monitored catalyst, a monitored diesel particle filter (complete with its own failure prone pressure sensor), and since it needs to regenerate that DPF from time to time, it ramps up fueling on the exhaust cycle to do so, which if you know your turbo diesel engine anatomy, you'll know that the turbocharger is between the engine and the DPF. Guess what the CR turbo has to endure that the ALH never does? Obscene high exhaust temps. So, turbochargers fail on CR engines probably at a 10x higher rate than the earlier engines. The CKRA engine in the Passat was so bad that Volkswagen offered a warranty extension on those.

The ALH's intake manifold is a simple chunk of cast aluminum. The CR's intake is a blend of aluminum, plastic, a whole bunch of butterfly plates on a shaft, operated by an electric motor with a built in sensor. The whole assembly probably consists of 100 individual parts. 1 vs. 100. Which do you think will break first?

ALH has simple glow plugs. And they are easy to diagnose, test, and change. And the whole system is very simple, and inexpensive. The CR uses glow plugs with pressure sensors built into them. So not only does one plug cost as much as all four in the ALH, but they are attached with VERY fragile little connectors on top of the engine that just love to break and/or have poor connections.

Your ALH has one fuel pump (technically two in one, but essentially the whole fuel system is right on the front of the engine, in the injection pump/injectors). The CR engines have a lift pump in the tank, an auxiliary electric pump under the hood, and then a high pressure mechanical pump on the engine.

So.... I think the newer CR cars are excellent cars, but much of that excellence comes at a price. And given the fact that VAG cheated to bring this excellence to us and it was all for nothing, I'm not sure what to think. However, despite the rhetoric, they DO run very clean... in the sense that most people would define clean. They do not stink, they do not smoke, their tailpipes are squeaky clean (provided everything is working properly), they are quiet, peppy, efficient, and generally an amazing car to drive. But if you want to get from A to B for the least amount of money, there are better choices out there. You just may not like to drive them.

I drive a 2000 Golf every day. I have a 2010 Jetta too. The '10 is faster, smoother, quieter, roomier, and can almost get the same fuel economy. But I know my '00 will be cheaper to operate, now and into the future, and that is even considering it has a 10 year/350k mile difference (disadvantage?) on my '10.

Last edited:

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Well said OH.....sums it up very well! :)

Should be pinned or stickied some how...this question seems to be comming up more and more often as the MK4's age.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Perfect, nothing else needs to be said. Make it a sticky and its done.

Loaded question, and you'll get lots of opinion as answers. Here is what I can tell you as a guy that works on them every day:

Newer means more complex, which means more opportunity for fragile stuff to need attention. It also means a LOT more stuff in the same areas, so less room.

I feel the A4 cars are really the best blend of old and new in the A-platform VAG cars, in specific those available here with a TDI engine. They started with a clean slate, so the A3's globbed on systems and equipment that was essentially a bloated A2 is gone, and in its place is a more sophisticated electrical system with FAR better OBD capabilities, better driveline mounting, and all new 4 cyl engine that kept the good of the old engines and made them better, much easier lock carrier assembly R&R and just generally a better layout. Better brakes, too. And the TDI engines available in the A4, either the ALH or the BEW, are really amazingly good, with a slight nod in favor of the ALH due to its simplicity and general ease of service. I'd say the only turd in the punchbowl of that layout is the optional 01M automatic transmission, and that is just with the ALH, the BEW gets a better 09A Jatco which is not only proving to be much more durable, is less of a hit on performance and fuel economy over the 01M given it has an extra gear.

The A5 is again a clean slate, bigger, heavier, and more refined in general. They drive better, especially on twisty roads, uneven surfaces, etc. They have a superior suspension layout, even better brakes, and even some better OBD arrangement as well as some really nice things like removable door skins (seriously, the A5 Golf/Jetta is the most awesome car to do anything inside the doors on, they are super easy to work on). The rest of the car is pretty easy to work on too. Lock carrier assembly is even easier to remove, electric steering makes removal of the subframe with rack VERY easy, and the PD TDI engine in them is well laid out for the most part and not terribly bad to service and repair no matter what it might need. Downside to the BRM is that it is no more powerful than the BEW, and it is in a heavier car. Fortunately, the two-pedal version got the 02E DSG transmission, which is a 6 speed, and does an admirable job of making the best use of the engine's power and if you can get used to the sometimes strange shifting habits they work well and deliver decent fuel economy.

The later A5, 2009 and 2010 (as well as all the wagons through '14), and really the A6 Golf which isn't much different than the A5 just a further refinement of the same basic arrangement, which is what I think you are asking about specifically, brings a really great running engine with a LOT more power and refinement to the already excellent chassis.... BUT... with that commonrail TDI engine comes a LOT more complexity. And it is all stuffed into the same hole the BRM occupied. So not only are most all items more complex if you compare apples to apples, like a thermostat for instance (takes thrice as long on the CJAA as it does a BRM), but the CR engines have more items that the earlier TDIs simply do not have.

You'll never have to worry about your ALH needing an oxygen sensor.... doesn't have one. The CR engines have TWO. ALH has no EGT sensor... CR engines have THREE. CR engines also have two completely independent EGR systems, both of which are electronic. Your ALH just has one, that is worked by a simple PWM solenoid working on a vacuum actuator. The entire ALH EGR system can be swapped out inside of an hour, and not cost very much. The CR's EGR systemS would take more than a day and would cost a couple grand.

ALH has a simple one way non-monitored catalyst. The CR has a monitored catalyst, a monitored diesel particle filter (complete with its own failure prone pressure sensor), and since it needs to regenerate that DPF from time to time, it ramps up fueling on the exhaust cycle to do so, which if you know your turbo diesel engine anatomy, you'll know that the turbocharger is between the engine and the DPF. Guess what the CR turbo has to endure that the ALH never does? Obscene high exhaust temps. So, turbochargers fail on CR engines probably at a 10x higher rate than the earlier engines. The CKRA engine in the Passat was so bad that Volkswagen offered a warranty extension on those.

The ALH's intake manifold is a simple chunk of cast aluminum. The CR's intake is a blend of aluminum, plastic, a whole bunch of butterfly plates on a shaft, operated by an electric motor with a built in sensor. The whole assembly probably consists of 100 individual parts. 1 vs. 100. Which do you think will break first?

ALH has simple glow plugs. And they are easy to diagnose, test, and change. And the whole system is very simple, and inexpensive. The CR uses glow plugs with pressure sensors built into them. So not only does one plug cost as much as all four in the ALH, but they are attached with VERY fragile little connectors on top of the engine that just love to break and/or have poor connections.

Your ALH has one fuel pump (technically two in one, but essentially the whole fuel system is right on the front of the engine, in the injection pump/injectors). The CR engines have a lift pump in the tank, an auxiliary electric pump under the hood, and then a high pressure mechanical pump on the engine.

So.... I think the newer CR cars are excellent cars, but much of that excellence comes at a price. And given the fact that VAG cheated to bring this excellence to us and it was all for nothing, I'm not sure what to think. However, despite the rhetoric, they DO run very clean... in the sense that most people would define clean. They do not stink, they do not smoke, their tailpipes are squeaky clean (provided everything is working properly), they are quiet, peppy, efficient, and generally an amazing car to drive. But if you want to get from A to B for the least amount of money, there are better choices out there. You just may not like to drive them.

I drive a 2000 Golf every day. I have a 2010 Jetta too. The '10 is faster, smoother, quieter, roomier, and can almost get the same fuel economy. But I know my '00 will be cheaper to operate, now and into the future, and that is even considering it has a 10 year/350k mile difference (disadvantage?) on my '10.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Hello,

are they reliable?

any input i great,
thank you,
dave
I can't even begin to touch OH's elegent post but will add to the comment of waiting until at least December before looking at anything with a CR engine. I would even push it out until next spring. Let VW do the fixes and see what that really means to daily life with the diesel. Within 6 months of the fix, you'll either find some good deals on the used car lots as the buyback cars get reintroduced to the market or owners who got the fix are unhappy and looking to dump em.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I think buyback cars are relegated to the parts pile or crusher as part of the overall settlement. No resale or export and sell. More sting to VW and cleaner air.

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Well...Heck, I was thinking about caving in to pressure from my wife and upgrading to a later CR model so her friends won't say I'm a wierd-o driving that " old and loud " stick shift car but after reading OH's post I don't think I will!!! Looks like I'll be proudly driving my 03 Jetta manual car....maybe into eternity!!!
To OH I just want to say....your contribution to my understanding and comprehension of these vehicles....and to this site, have been invaluable.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I don't mind the new CR cars but the amount of crap on them is insane and the cost to fix, might as well have a spare credit card ready, :(

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think buyback cars are relegated to the parts pile or crusher as part of the overall settlement. No resale or export and sell. More sting to VW and cleaner air.
Not true. VW's plans are to fix bought back cars and offer them first to dealers to sell, then wholesale ones that dealers don't want. They may salvage some that aren't worth reconditioning, but with luck that will be a small minority of the cars.

This all assumes VW has a fix approved, and we probably won't know that for six months or so. But there's no requirement for VW to destroy the cars.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
And regarding the OP's question, for me the older cars are better. I've owned lots of VWs (by my count 9 Jettas alone) including MKIV, V, and VIs. I like the IV best. Sold my MKVI Golf because it just sat, and am bringing a MKIV Golf back to life as a second car to my '02 Jetta Wagon.

Rear legroom nothwistanding, there really isn't anything I don't like about MKIV cars. There were a number of things I didn't like about the V and VI I owned.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The ALH certainly was the "Golden Age" of TDIs, only they are starting to get long in the tooth. My BRM is a great car and at least the weak cam design issues are easy to manage with out breaking the bank.

The CR cars (2009-2014), there is no way I would own one. Even if the fix works, there is just to much engineering fail designed into them.

The EA288. Ever more expensive complexity that can fail..................

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Well...Heck, I was thinking about caving in to pressure from my wife and upgrading to a later CR model so her friends won't say I'm a wierd-o driving that " old and loud " stick shift car but after reading OH's post I don't think I will!!! Looks like I'll be proudly driving my 03 Jetta manual car....maybe into eternity!!!
To OH I just want to say....your contribution to my understanding and comprehension of these vehicles....and to this site, have been invaluable.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE
Good. Not caving in is a good place to be. My wife does know how to drive a stick and the only time she has ever driven my car was about 4 blocks once. I am very blessed. She has never once ever commented on my choice of cars nor would I try to influence her choices.:cool:

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
I crashed my 2010 JSW last year. Good riddance to it. Nice car to drive, but God help you when something goes wrong. I replaced it with a 2002 Jetta Wagon, and I could not be happier.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
They are all good. The common rails are smoother and more refined. They can also produce 180 hp with nothing more than a tune.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
They are all good. The common rails are smoother and more refined. They can also produce 180 hp with nothing more than a tune.
They can also set you back $7K suddenly, with and without a tune too, :eek: :D

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fyi- a complete, brand new 2L common rail crate engine with turbo, hpfp, injectors, and timing belt can be had for slightly over 3k.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Ditto. While they do have some components that were poorly engineered, hpfp and dpf, such has been the case with the older models as well. Cam issues, limp mode issues, super crap auto trans on the mk4, never ending electrical gremlins etc. Alot of folks are quick to forget that. Honestly the mk6 issues with the hpfp and dpf have preventative fixes. Such as cp3 conversion and for the dpf....well look into that lol.

I am a big vw fan, but I must admit that some of the fan-boyism is comically irritating. In many ways even worse than the Honda fan boys. They jump to the rhetoric that anything past the Mk4 is junk! While at the same time conveniently forgetting the slew of issues unique to their cars.
Choose what you want and drive on happily is what I say!

-owner of a "junk" 2014 tdi with almost 112k miles, only issue was 02 sensor needing replacement and g450 going wonky but fixed with reset/adaptation via vcds.

And I forgot to mention, comparing repair costs of a newer model car v.s an older one is flawed logic. Almost any new car you buy will be more expensive to fix in comparison to its 15 year old predecessor.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ditto. While they do have some components that were poorly engineered, hpfp and dpf, such has been the case with the older models as well. Cam issues, limp mode issues, super crap auto trans on the mk4, never ending electrical gremlins etc. Alot of folks are quick to forget that. Honestly the mk6 issues with the hpfp and dpf have preventative fixes. Such as cp3 conversion and for the dpf....well look into that lol.

I am a big vw fan, but I must admit that some of the fan-boyism is comically irritating. In many ways even worse than the Honda fan boys. They jump to the rhetoric that anything past the Mk4 is junk! While at the same time conveniently forgetting the slew of issues unique to their cars.
Choose what you want and drive on happily is what I say!

-owner of a "junk" 2014 tdi with almost 112k miles, only issue was 02 sensor needing replacement and g450 going wonky but fixed with reset/adaptation via vcds.

And I forgot to mention, comparing repair costs of a newer model car v.s an older one is flawed logic. Almost any new car you buy will be more expensive to fix in comparison to its 15 year old predecessor.

Well said. Another thing I like about my "junk" common rail is the 130k mile timing belt interval. Beats the heck out of the original 60k mile interval!

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They all fail at some point. Which failure costs 7k? Is that the driven off a cliff failure? :)
That and the HPFP fiasco. ;)

It was a joke but I guess you didn't get it. :p

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They jump to the rhetoric that anything past the Mk4 is junk! While at the same time conveniently forgetting the slew of issues unique to their cars.

Finally, someone who gets it, ;)

Don't you mean forward of the MK4?

ONLY a 112k, wow, that sucker has some serious miles on her, damn. You should apply to VW to be put in the record books, :eek: lol.

I agree, all VW's have issues, I don't think anyone disputes that, but the fact remains, that without filters or a CP3 swap, the HPFP is a ticking time bomb that leaves you stranded with no warning, and when it goes, expect to cough up $5-7 grand if you are paying someone. Sorry, but no one item shouldn't cause this much damage or render the car junk until fixed. Sure older car's broke but they didn't have that big a repair bill for one item. Sure the odd transmission went but there were ways around it. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind a fixed CR TDI but the budget won't allow.

Last edited:

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Ditto. While they do have some components that were poorly engineered, hpfp and dpf, such has been the case with the older models as well. Cam issues, limp mode issues, super crap auto trans on the mk4, never ending electrical gremlins etc. A lot of folks are quick to forget that. Honestly the mk6 issues with the hpfp and dpf have preventative fixes. Such as cp3 conversion and for the dpf....well look into that lol.

Choose what you want and drive on happily is what I say! /QUOTE]

I was a long-time Saab devoté. Similar to this the traditional Saabists would never lower themselves to say that anything about a newer model was worthy of their time, much less their money. Once General Motors began buying into Saab to keep the company afloat, it was like total insurrection of the brand to them. I owned a 1970, 1978, 1986, 1994 and 1999 model. All were great cars and lasted me a long time.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yup, Saab was all downhill after they abandoned the two stroke. :D Love that funky Swedish steel. I Still have some old 4 lug saab "soccer ball" alloys laying around.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Hello,

are they reliable?
Dave,

I too was looking at the newer TDI's a while back and was asking the same questions that you are. As much as I love my old 2003 Golf, I have days when I feel like having something newer (or I don't feel like working on it), but they pass...lol.

Another option for an upgrade is to find a lower mile 2006 Mk5 TDI Jetta. They're more modern looking, still have corrosion warranty, and the PD engine is only slightly more complex than the ALH you currently have. While certainly not a "new" car, they're 6 years newer than your 2000 model.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Finally, someone who gets it, ;)

Don't you mean forward of the MK4?

ONLY a 112k, wow, that sucker has some serious miles on her, damn. You should apply to VW to be put in the record books, :eek: lol.

I agree, all VW's have issues, I don't think anyone disputes that, but the fact remains, that without filters or a CP3 swap, the HPFP is a ticking time bomb that leaves you stranded with no warning, and when it goes, expect to cough up $5-7 grand if you are paying someone. Sorry, but no one item shouldn't cause this much damage or render the car junk until fixed. Sure older car's broke but they didn't have that big a repair bill for one item. Sure the odd transmission went but there were ways around it. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind a fixed CR TDI but the budget won't allow.
I agree, no one item shouldn't cost that much to repair. But like I've said, there are preventative measures. And oh yea while a transmission repair and replacement on an mk4 may be reasonably priced now, I'm willing to bet my lunch thay when the mk4 was "new", it cost a lot more to fix.
Like I said before, trying to compare fix costs of a new car to its 15 year old predecessor isn't good logic.