Record: 73.5 USmpg with Seat Cordoba 110hp TDI

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Seat wanted to prove that sporty cars need no longer be gas-guzzlers. Their tour started at the Seat factory in Martorell near Barcelona. They took the "Autoroute du Soleil". After exactly 1.329 kilometers the Ibiza arrived in Mörfelden-Walldorf, Headquarter of Seat Germany. There was no need for refuelling because the engine consumed only 42,76 liters of diesel. That equates to a fuel consumption of 3,2L per 100 km (= 73.5 US-mpg). Average speed on that trip was 102,7 km/h. (=63,8 mph)

The only changes were:
Fuel saving tires (ContiEcoContact EP) with 2,8 bar pressure
Changing the standard alloys for steel wheels with more aerodynamic standard hubcaps.
The driver was Gerhard Plattner, Austrian famous for doing recordbraking tours.

The original german article can be found here: http://www.tvspielfilm.de/auto/aktuell/news/0,2841,658024,00.html

Claus

Craig

Veteran Member
Take that Honda Insight!!

Does this Seat have the same 5-speed transmission we have in North America?

If so, we must rise to the challenge here in North America. Even with stock wheels/tires and TB, I would still be at least 10 mpg under this. There HAS got to be a way. . .

(Propane would be cheating since THEY could always add it.)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Thank you!,
Finally, a new mark for me to attempt to break, and a new trick, too. I'll put the original steel wheels and the full wheel covers on this time. Stay tuned (pun intended).

CFriedriszik

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
But record entries here are only acknowledged when done over a course of over 1000kms and over 1400km with Passats !
No cheating by rolling down steep hills !