Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
BoostdJetta said:
Yea there is, they claim there is a shortage of fuel due to a cold winter... same excuse every winter.

So in your state they raise the prices like in the summer? Not here where I live in Colorado. I do remember once they said one of the Pipelines needed fixed and they couldn't fix it until Winter let up, but still no change in prices here.

xsfmed

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Indigo Blue
Don't forget - there has not been a new refinery/gas cracker built in over 30 years.... therefore, we have a stable top end output model with a growing demand for the finished product - the only elasticity in this model is the pricing of raw material and demand. Of course end unit pricing increases with limited production and increased raw goods pricing - econ 101.

This is also the reason my TDI is worth nearly what I paid for it in Oct 2002, an inelastic market model, limited new TDIs, high fuel prices, a search for savings in the long run.

Last edited:

ddc

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (SOLD), 2005 Jetta Wagon
Diesel Prices

$2.67 best I've found, 85 cents cheaper than gas.

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
xsfmed said:
Don't forget - there has not been a new refinery/gas cracker built in over 30 years.... therefore, we have a stable top end output model with a growing demand for the finished product - the only elasticity in this model is the pricing of raw material and demand. Of course end unit pricing increases with limited production and increased raw goods pricing - econ 101.
There was something on the news about that the other day. I wasn't really watching it, I just had the TV on and heard it from the other room and stopped what I was doing to listen. They were interviewing some guy and he said it would take "6 years" to build a new refinery, and then it would take 10 years of production before it would turn a profit. :rolleyes: Also, nobody wants to build a refinery because of all the talk about moving away from oil and going to hydrogen etc, they don't want to wast money investing in something that could be obsolete in a few years.

Part of that makes sense, but it would not take 6 years to build a refinery (I'm pretty sure he said 6 years). Hell they just put up two oil drilling platforms along I-20 here in the last 6 months. We have a refinery here in my town, but it has been closed for years. Hell instead of building new ones, how about re-opening some of the closed ones.

Anyway, back to the topic. I paid $2.63 yesterday, at the Petro truck stop in Jackson, MS. Too bad I didn't fill up last week when it was $2.53. The Pilot across the street was showing $2.65, usually the Pilot is cheaper so I go there, this time Petro was cheaper. What is strange is after I filled up, when I left and got back on the highway, the Pilot's sign had changed to $2.71. :eek:

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
jimnms said:
We have a refinery here in my town, but it has been closed for years. Hell instead of building new ones, how about re-opening some of the closed ones.
The reason they are closed is because it would cost hundreds of millions of dollars to upgrade them to produce fuel that meets the current standards, without generating lots of pollution in the refining process.

The cost of upgrading older refineries just keeps going up and up. There's a shortage of equipment and of the skilled people who know how to work on them.

Tuneman07

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
I overheard on the radio the other day a discussion on refineries and most of the problems lie in local governments (the town you want to build the refinery in) as well as environmental regulation. It takes so long simply to get the green light to start building, not to mention the actual building process and then the long time before a profit is seen. It basically takes someone who wants to invest billions of dollars on the chance of making a profit in 20 years.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
Tuneman07 said:
I still maintain we shouldn't be happy about 280 a gallon. Anyone remember when we were afraid of 2 dollars a gallon????? we should be outraged right now.
Sounds like you've never driven in Europe. Scotland has about the highest fuel prices in europe, at roughly $7 US dollars per gallon. SEVEN. Most of mainland europe pays around $5 / gal.

They laugh their arses off when they hear folks from the US complaining about $3 / gal for gas.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I'm confused at how folks try to compare prices at face value for the US and Europe. It just doesn't work.

Tuneman07

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
its 30 cents a gallon in Venezuela, and D2 is under 2 bucks a gallon in mexico. I don't care what the price is in Europe it shouldnt be 5 or 7 dollars a gallon and we shouldnt be paying 3 bucks a gallon.

Toms_2003_GT

TDI
None
nukemm said:
Right now I'm living the good life with the TDI. My 1.8T only sips premium, and at $3.79/gal I let my wife drive it the 70 miles/week she drives. With #2 diesel running $2.95/gal and B20 at $2.99 along my commute route, I'm saving $0.80/gal on the average, and getting 15-20MPG better than the GTI.

That being said, I still wish more people would conserve and/or carpool. A large SUV can be just as efficient as a TDI or hybrid if filled with 5 or more people (effective fuel mileage = raw mileage x number of passengers), but a carpool with a fuel-efficient vehicle is even better. Following the said example with a TDI (assume 45MPG) you can comfortably achieve an effective fuel mileage of 180MPG, thus reaping huge benefits for all. Every day I pick up 3 people along my 175 mile commute, and drop them off on the way home. I pretty much drive for $5/day, with the going rate of $5/day contribution from said passengers and a ~$20/day fuel cost.

In summary - wasteful attitudes are a huge factor in fuel prices. If conservation was the norm instead of being saved for those with extreme commutes or liberal ideals, the perceived notion of "limited/dwindling reserves" would be gone, and any rediculous fuel prices would be gouging without a doubt.
We have thought about carpooling, we both have to be at work by 8:30 but if I had the car and she had to go do the companies banking while at work whereas I cant leave company property unless its our 30 min. lunch break plus I might work as much as 2 hours over, so for us its a nice idea but not practical.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
A few weeks ago, I could buy diesel for $2.95-2.99/gallon, while RUG had spiked to $3.40 and higher.

Today a single station has dropped its price for RUG to $2.99, and lots of stations are selling RUG for $3.09-3.13/gallon.

Diesel is still the same, never budged more than 2 cents in either direction. That entire dollar-a-gallon increase in gas prices is invisible in the spreadsheet of diesel prices I've paid these last few months.

jcboulware

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon 6-speed
Florida Prices

Around central Florida (Daytona Beach area) I can find BP diesel at $2.89.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
__. At the Flying J at Knoxville (I-40 & I-75 I think), I paid $2.55 a gallon last week. The Flying J in southern VA on I-81 (near Wytheville) was $2.52. Diesel in NC is about $2.89 in most places :mad: so I didn't buy any in NC -- I waited until I got to the truckstops at Exit 104 in VA. I drove from Knoxville to near Chattanooga, then to Charlotte and near Wilmington NC, then north of Richmond VA on one tank. Gotta love those TDI's!!!!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
rotarykid said:
$3.16-$3.20 RUG , $3.o9-$3.13 ULSD in the Denver area .
It won't get better in Colorado and western Kansas for a few more months. It's still a few weeks until the wheat harvest and it sounds like everyone is scrambling to get enough diesel to run the combines and grain trucks. I read that tank truck drivers are traveling 4 hours to reach a fuel terminal, waiting in line for another 4-6 hours, and driving back. So it takes hundreds of tank trucks, each of them burning a lot of fuel, each transporting a single load of fuel per day. And the better the harvest, the more fuel will be required.

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
RUG is now cheaper than diesel here. RUG is $2.77, diesel $2.79. Diesel has been stuck at $2.79 for a while now. In Jackson diesel is $2.59, and RUG is $2.65.

XLR8R

TDI
2001 Jetta 5 speed
Just filled up this morning in Redondo Beach, CA. Chevron on Hawthorn Blvd has ULSD for $3.05/gal last week it was $2.99. I also saw the ARCO on Lakeshore and Riverside in Lake Elsinore at $2.99. I am so glad I am of the RUG!!! :D Happy dieseling!!!