Add Drain Plug To Intercooler?

DieselFumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Has anyone added a drain plug to their intercooler to drain any pooled oil? I haven't pulled my intercooler to see how much oil I might have after 60k miles but I thought when I do I might look into adding a drain plug.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
I don't know of anyone that has installed a drain in their intercoller but the idea of one isn't too far fetched.

A simple pet-cock drain like thosed used in some radiators would do nicely.
Simply drill a hole the correct size...tap the hole to thread it..and install the pet-cock drain. When you wanted to clean it..simply crack the valve open a bit and start the engine. Attach a short hose to catch any discharge.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
I would hope that draining would not be required very often. When I cleaned my 98s at 100k, their was definitely black stuff coming out in the solvent, but oil did not just drip out when I removed the lower pipe...

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
If you do install it, I would like to see pictures of the install. Sounds like a good idea to me.

delste

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 2004 Black/Black leather
Hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but just what does the intercooler do and why would it contain engine oil?

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but just what does the intercooler do and why would it contain engine oil?
Its not a stupid question at all...The inter-cooler is built like a small radiator. This unit takes the charge-air from the turbo (air which becomes heated as a result of being compressed) as the charge air passes through the inter-cooler it becomes cooled. As the charge-air becomes cooler it also becomes denser. This cooling process delivers more air into the combustion chamber. More air = more power....more power= more fun...more fun=

The oil that slowly builds up in the inter-cooler is from the CCV (Crank Case Ventilation) system. This is a system that draws carnk-case vapors from the engine and is supposed to be burned off during the combustion process. However...as the CCV vapors are drawn through the turbo and into the inter-cooler as the charge-air is cooled the oily vavor condense on the inside of the heat-exchanger (Inter-cooler) and then gradually build-up as oil. After several K miles the intercooler looses its heat-exchanger effenciey..and needs a cleaning.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yep! When I cleaned my Intercooler I pondered installing a drain system.

Its due another cleaning. So, I might just install a drain system while I have it off.

Kevinski

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI, GLS
Instead of just a drain plug, what about a fitting in the lowest point of the intercooler, that leads (with a mall hose or something) to a small container to catch any build up of oil. That way, just empty the resevior every now and then.

Not sure if clearance would be an issue or not. Kevin

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Actually, the bottom of the intercooler has plenty of space to hold a pint or more of oil and still be able to perform properly.

At 84k miles, I cleaned my intake and turbo piping, including draining the intercooler. The intercooler only had about 4 or 5 ounces of oil in it.

DIESEL DAZZLER

Veteran Member
TDI
81VW TDI PU,94 GOLF TDI,97 PASSAT TDI,03 ,06 JETTA TDI's,KABOTA DIESEL LAWNMOWER
A #10 self tapping screw works well ,just find the correct size drill to match the screw.Drill hole in the lowest part of the housing and install screw.

delste

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 2004 Black/Black leather
Herm:

Thanks so much for the thorough explanation.
If the CCV has a tube running to the EGR, how does this oil get into the intercooler? Also, I have installed a provent on my PD. Will this eliminate the oil in the intercooler?

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
Herm:
snip...snip...
If the CCV has a tube running to the EGR, how does this oil get into the intercooler? Also, I have installed a provent on my PD. Will this eliminate the oil in the intercooler?
The CCV vent from the crank-case to the air inlet is at a connection point after the engine air filter and BEFOR the turbo. As the intake air leaves the engine air filter the CCV vapors (along with the air from the filter) are drawn from the engine and into the turbo. The filtered air and the CCV vavor are then run through the turbo (compressed) then this "charge-air is routed to the inter-cooler to be cooled. It is here that the heated air/CCV vapors are cooled. The oily vapors coalesce and form a pool of oil at the bottom of the inter-cooler.

I have no idea how or what a "Provent" is supposed to do so I really can't say.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I have not been under to look at things there, but from the pictures, the place where you would put a drainplug looks awfully thin. With a plug, I wouldn't be happy without at least the major diameter of the plug for a thickness to drill and tap and I don't know if there is a place there for that.

I would proceed with caution.