Pay per mile vs.: fuel tax

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
There have been many of these pilot programs over the past decade or more. Tax per mile will be here at some point in the future... :mad:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
So, Trump will know every mile I drive in my car? Not gonna happen.

I'm moving to Canada. Enjoy your surveillance state. :D

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Trucks have been doing it for years....
They pay a per gallon at the pump...the effectively becomes a withholding...
And they have to report to each state QUARTERLY the miles driven ....then it is "balanced" with refunds or payments to each....the issue with doing this for cars is EVERY CAR would need a tracking devise, and if you tampered with it, it would be a major issue, likly a felony.
And the days of being fuel in a low tax state for car drivers would end, just like it did for trick drivers years ago....

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...4d1488-395c-11e6-8f7c-d4c723a2becb_story.html

Story about pilot to look at per-mile tax for transportation as a replacement for fuel taxes (which no one seems to like or want to raise enough to pay for good roads and bridges)
Nothing has changed since per-mile was first advanced as a New Improved Method.
Owners of hybrids and EVs feel betrayed.
Those who drive cars using regular fuel mostly believe this will be in addition to the taxes they already pay, and are deeply distrustful of government in this (imagine that!).
Everyone is suspicious of any method that would allow government to track their movements, even though -as stated- GPS would be an existing and nearly ideal way to do it.
All this in the prevailing national fear of change, and I wouldn't hold my breath.....and meanwhile, the infrastructure continues to crumble.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Nothing has changed since per-mile was first advanced as a New Improved Method.
Owners of hybrids and EVs feel betrayed.
Those who drive cars using regular fuel mostly believe this will be in addition to the taxes they already pay, and are deeply distrustful of government in this (imagine that!).
Everyone is suspicious of any method that would allow government to track their movements, even though -as stated- GPS would be an existing and nearly ideal way to do it.
All this in the prevailing national fear of change, and I wouldn't hold my breath.....and meanwhile, the infrastructure continues to crumble.
Uh... Raise fuel taxes?:rolleyes:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
As electric vehicles begin to make up a larger and larger percentage of traffic on our roads, using fuel taxes to fund highway maintenance will become more and more unfair. Why should gasoline and diesel users fund the roads used by electric cars that burn little or no liquid fuel. Some method other than fuel taxes will be required. Whether it is a per mile tax or some other method is still unknown, but something about how we fund highways will have to change. The big questions are how and when.

Everyone is suspicious of any method that would allow government to track their movements.
If you carry a cell phone, your movements are already being tracked. How much access the "government" already has to this information is probably debatable (but not here).

Have Fun!

Don

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
How's about taxing the registration on EV's? mandating a (road) tax on the electricity used to charge them? smart meters are already a thing - very easy to augment them to report on KW used to charge an EV/Hybrid...

There are other ways to fund infrastructure without allowing your every movement to be tracked...

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I wouldn't mind paying a per mile tax on one condition. The elimination of at pump taxes completely, otherwise it's just typical political tax on tax double dipping.

Make EV's pay a per mile tax, what's so hard about that. They've been freeloading on the highways long enough. It's time for them to step up and pay like the rest of us.

Funding infrastructure was the original intent of gas taxes, but in typical fashion it's not all the fuel taxes are usually spent on.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
There are other ways to fund infrastructure without allowing your every movement to be tracked...
For those states with a yearly inspection sticker why couldn't the "miles driven" be calculated by the odometer reading? Add it to the cost of registration renewal.

a fee per miles driven is the "fairest" way to charge for road repair

cascade7997

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI sold, 2015 Golf SE TDI 6MT
For those states with a yearly inspection sticker why couldn't the "miles driven" be calculated by the odometer reading? Add it to the cost of registration renewal.

a fee per miles driven is the "fairest" way to charge for road repair
But how do you separate mileage into miles driven states and gas tax states?
What happens when you go on long cross country vacation across many states?

Last year my vacation was 13000 miles from coast to coast, only miss in upper atlantic and new england states when doing so.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
But how do you separate mileage into miles driven states and gas tax states?
What happens when you go on long cross country vacation across many states?

Last year my vacation was 13000 miles from coast to coast, only miss in upper atlantic and new england states when doing so.
You don't. The tax collected goes to the state in which the vehicle is registered. Same tax rate across all states.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Another strawman here. Does anyone still really believe enough taxes aren't already being collected?
taxes that are directly allocated to roads and bridges? Not nearly enough. Believe me....I want less government and less taxes in general but the condition of our roads, bridges, infrastructure is a joke.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
taxes that are directly allocated to roads and bridges? Not nearly enough. Believe me....I want less government and less taxes in general but the condition of our roads, bridges, infrastructure is a joke.
I agree to a certain extent. I see counties in Iowa defer highway maintenance for years.

Part of our problem here is that in Iowa the IADOT seem to be unaccountable to anyone and so the order of the day is job preservation. In order for road engineers to preserve their jobs they need to be actively building new roads, which we really don't need.

What we do need is maintenance, but as with all maintenance it's not glamorous so it doesn't get the lions share of the tax dollars.

Iowa (unbelievably) is already a tax unfriendly state in my book, the govt emergency coffers are at the maximum allowed, why I don't know.

The problem is that if you boost fuel taxes (which they did in Iowa a year ago by a dime) people alter behavior and the amount they expect to collect is never realized. People do remember and when govt enacts new taxes without discussion people get angry.

If you want taxes targeted toward road repair then go after that, but I can't support or endorse more taxing for 'road repair' that gets diverted to something like building new rest stops or to admin salaries. AFAIC IADOT already gets more than they should, I think their compensation is probably excessive.

And I'll be damned if they're fitting a black box to my car to collect for miles driven - the whole concept of that is just so preposterous. As for using phone gps, how do you know which phone being tracked is doing the driving? If there are our phones in the car which one do you tax. That's even a more ridiculous concept.

Either recognize that trucking is the major contributor to road damage and deal with it that way or start collecting for EV miles driven by GPS link with the car. At least the EV's have the capability to of being monitored already built in. Or here's another concept, scrap it all and go to a fair increased sales tax.

You really can't blame the tax payer for crumbling roads / infrastructure. By extension I fail to see how increasing taxing in a system where those dollars are already misdirected gets you anything better? We don't get to pick and choose where the tax dollars go, the govt decides where those dollars go so if you want the dollars to go to repairing stuff then call your representatives at your state house and complain to them. They need to direct the DOT's to stop building new roads and stick to maintaining what we have. When that's all done we'll take a look at new roads...

Steve

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
By extension I fail to see how increasing taxing in a system where those dollars are already misdirected gets you anything better?

Steve
+1

It is the general lack of accountability that has most folks unwilling to give the career "servants" more money.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
While I support this idea in general - as the owner of 4 vehicles (3 of them MY2000 or older - 1 motorcycle), The enforceability is going to be an issue. And I would support this ONLY if they drop the tax at the pump.

yes - the ACCOUNTABILITY of DOT's and MAINTAINING roads as well as building when necessary needs addressed.