Unlocking problem

Asam9

TDI
Mk7 golf
Anyone have a problem that when I unlock the driver door with my hand on the inside of the handle the window will drop a little but the door will not unlock. Sometimes it works but most of the time I have to take the cover off the unlock the door. Already changed the batteries in the remote.
It's a 2013 beetle

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
VW has not been known for their quality door latches. Good possibility that the latch is bad. Question first though, what about using the unlock button on the remote? Or just getting inside the car with the window down and using the button on the door to lock and unlock, then reach out and open from outside? Can you hear the thunk from the lock working?

Jason

Asam9

TDI
Mk7 golf
If I use the remote or the button on the passenger door still doesn't opwn. It works sometimes though. Is there any way to reset them or recode them. Or is probably a bad latch

Zapkat

TDI
2014 Jetta Highline
I had a failure of the driver's side door handle. VW replaced it under warranty. Also, if the batteries in your fob are getting low, it can make the locking mech wonky. The dealer has to replace the batteries and re-synch the fob to the car (or so they tell me). Mine were done after I started having intermittent locking issues with the trunk latch.

cbittner

TDI
2002 jetta tdi
I also am having problems with the drivers door on a 2013 Jetta. I lock the car with the fob and when I return to unlock the car using the fob the drivers door will not unlock. If I toggle back and forth (lock to unlock) it will then unlock. Not sure what is wrong. Any help would be great. Thanks

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
you said the window drops a bit when the door should unlock, do you hear the window motor run? maybe wire in the door hinge issue, shorting to the window motor wire.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
you said the window drops a bit when the door should unlock, do you hear the window motor run? maybe wire in the door hinge issue, shorting to the window motor wire.
Whoa! You're making this more complicated. If the window drops then the drivers's door module/window motor saw the signal from the FOB, the BCM also saw the request and authorized it, then commanded window drop and door unlock. The fact that the window dropped but the door did not unlock leads me to the fault (99.9% of the time) which is faulty actuator in the door lock.

Most likely if you scan this car there will be DTCs set for that door latch.

Just a general statement about newer cars - most have moved to some sort of digital signal over smaller wires instead of the older power or ground for each function. So most faults like this take a DSO to watch a waveform to correctly identify the signal sent and received. Problem is none of the manufacturers publish what the waveform should look like unless they release a specific repair for a certain problem.

So checking all the wires beyond cracked/broken/corroded wiring is becoming less common. Just basic integrity of power and ground, maybe is there a CAN buss signal (more does it look square and not shorted than what is actually being said). Not "is the door open 12v or window closed ground signal present".

Not meaning to jump on anyone's case, but just wanting to clarify an easy diagnostic strategy. Hope OP's car is fixed easily.

Jason

Asam9

TDI
Mk7 golf
Ended up being faulty door actuator. Which ended up being covered under warranty. Thanks for all the replies!