USED Values are insainly LOW

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
WHAT THE HECK Happened to use price values last 2 years? Does anyone know what happened in last 2 years? I think it's BS.

I have not looked at value in a few years. The value of my 2010 TDI Sportwagen with 115,000 miles, very good to excellent condition is $3000 to $6000. Ha ha why.

Not that it matters my engine is a 2013 with 65,000 miles (long story). I looked at the Kelly blue book on a 2013 TDI JSW and it was still low. NADA gave slightly higher values than Kelly. That is insainly low.

Needless to say I'm keeping my VW (still under emission mod warranty for 2 years) is I excellent condition and drives perfect. $6000? I would not sell it for $12,000, but would not sell it period.

Last edited:

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
No, you can’t trust those car buying guides for diesel vehicles. They don’t give much consideration for the Diesel engine over the gasoline, and may have down graded them because of diesel gate. Beauty is in the eye of the owner or the one who knows the value and wants one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Dieselgate, cheap fuel prices, Americans leaving cars in favor of SUVs, and coronavirus are all culminating to make TDI prices absolutely tank. Great time to buy one, no so great to sell.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
my 12 jsw tdi dsg, nav, pano, 17 wheels, 80k. i paid 10k out the door. dieselgate ruined the prices of them.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Dieselgate, cheap fuel prices, Americans leaving cars in favor of SUVs, and coronavirus are all culminating to make TDI prices absolutely tank. Great time to buy one, no so great to sell.
This and 95% of people don't give a damn that diesels in North America are rare, it's only us diesel fanatics who can understand it... and personally, I still wouldn't pay more then 5000 for a 2010 with 115k, that's what they're worth

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
If you think the last 2 years are bad with about 6 more months. EVERY used car value is going to tank and TDI's will sink even lower. Cars coming in off lease, garbage tier sales numbers across the board until people get back to work and move out of the coronavirus shell-shocked phase, and massive incentives on new cars (only) like zero percent for 80+ months, massive "cash back allowances" to boost new car sales are all going to culminate in the perfect storm of super inflated used car inventories rotting on dealer lots that they cant even give away, and auction lots packed full of cars that dealers don't have room for. The good news (at least in the short term) is that you'll be able to find great deals on used vehicles of all types as sellers will be motivated to turn over units. The not so good news is you will get absolute bottom dollar offers on trade-ins I'm talking insultingly low offers here. The terrible news is that automakers and dealers are already lobbying for Cash-For-Clunkers v2.0 and if that happens get ready to see millions of decent (and crap) used vehicles literally scrapped overnight and wiped from the market. If you don't think VW in the United States won't use a second round of that program to get rid of most, if not all, of the remaining dieselgate cars that they have or can convince current owners to turn in then you are dreaming. It would be the perfect way to get rid of a standing liability and help stop some fiscal hemorrhaging (less dieselgate cars on the market less possible dieselgate warranty claims possible). Just a thought...

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Not many bargains in new cars, the automakers have borrowed billions so they can sit on their bloated inventories for months. And good luck buying online- I've been dickering on a Ford Transit Connect and while it might be possible to buy online, to get Ford's 0% financing you have to go into that sleazy little office in the dealership and let the finance guy yell at you for an hour or two. In the used market, Hertz is on the verge of bankruptcy yet their "no negotiation" prices on used rentals are still too high. A lot of CEOs in the auto biz think the economy will bounce back in a few months and refuse to cut in to their profit margins while their corporations bleed billions they borrowed at darn near 10% rates.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Don't forget that Hertz is liquidating their used cars...all of them. That should depress overall prices of used cars. They aren't going to get their asking prices...nowhere close.

Grey2015TDI

TDI
Mk7/Mk5 Jetta
Yeah, these auto manufacturers received millions, if not billions in free money. Doing forget the dealers receiving PPP free cash! I would like to purchase a new GT500 but, the dealers have to prices upwards of $150k, because they can!

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.........dumb luck has been my style.

Buyback $25,000 (vw and Bosch)

New Jetta 1.4 $14337 OTD.....

No complaints,

ez

Doug Jr

TDI
2011 Sportwagen
Recently purchased a single owner 2011 Sportwagen from a high line dealer in West Palm Beach, bought it over the net, he shipped the car to me in Savannah.
Not only is it well kept with records, it is exactly what he described in the video call. The price surprised me & I did not hesitate in the purchase wiring funding immediately. To get this caliber car for less than $5K was an absolute steal of a deal.
The belt was replaced along with other associated recommended parts, new Michelin tires installed within the past 6 months, upgraded JVC touch screen head unit, the glitch is the panoramic roof cover that appears to have been swallowed by the headliner or is not there, "5% Limo tint" cured that issue.
I intend to only install a rear sway bar as the ride in this car is excellent so there will not be any drastic changes. Not satisfied with the headlight projection but have read horror stories upgrading to HID or LED, seems not a great deal of the kits are actual "plug & play" for a reasonable outlay. I don't feel like an extended upgrade removing bumper skins to access headlight assemblies to correct inadequate wiring size, relays or "pig tails" or on/off stock euro switches to control the function.
I replaced the floor mats with Lloyd's having used them for a long time, with the added benefit of quieting down the interior a great deal. Suffice to say I like the car, the ride, design and styling coupled to the torque, with mileage which is simply GREAT!
Doug