Is there a deadline on getting phase 2 done?

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
I bought my new-old-stock 2015 in 2017 new off the lot. I just took it in for unrelated work with 35,940 miles on the clock. The service dept told me I need to get phase 2 done before 36,000 in order to get the extended warranty.

I'm 90% sure this isn't true, but I can't seem to squeeze a straight answer out of VW corporate:
"If the dealership is recommending to have the phase performed as soon as possible, then we would support that determination. Our dealerships are the experts when it comes to diagnosing vehicle issues and recommending the most appropriate repair."​

Now I'm wondering if I'm taking crazy pills?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not that I have seen published but there are guidelines on when it should be done. Are you one of those people thinking of waiting until just before the emissions warranty runs out and then run and getting the part 2 fix done so it will extend the warranty another four years? This may or may not work for you. If you don't take it in they can't do it. Other wise they will push you to have it done or just do it without your consent and tell you about it later (maybe).

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
Not that I have seen published but there are guidelines on when it should be done. Are you one of those people thinking of waiting until just before the emissions warranty runs out and then run and getting the part 2 fix done so it will extend the warranty another four years? This may or may not work for you. If you don't take it in they can't do it. Other wise they will push you to have it done or just do it without your consent and tell you about it later (maybe).
Not planning to get an additional 50k miles, but I had a reason to postpone it that I honestly can't remember. Im just really close to 36k and the dealer saying that made me rush to figure it out.

Yeah, I heard about them just doing it anyway. I'll probably just have them do it now, it's just a pita on short notice.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Someone here was making an OBDII lock that prevented them from accessing the plug. Something to think about if you really don't want them to do it until you are ready. But waiting a really long time might not be good. There are a few out there who have money at stake and they don't get paid the final payment until part 2 is done. But that isn't most of us, and certainly not you if you bought a new old stock like me.

Here is the link to the lock. It has positives and negatives about using it though.

https://www.bem-auto.com/product-page/universal-tune-saver

A thread on it to read:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=482350&highlight=obd+lock

Or this thing maybe. Not a lock but will get attention.

https://www.amazon.com/Daystar-Universal-preserve-KU71124BK-America/dp/B00ASKRKQY

Last edited:

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI, 2007 Dodge Cummins QC 4X4 6 sp, 2007 John Deere 3120
I was told by the dealer I take my car to that they didn't even want to think about it until I had 40,000. In December when I brought it in for the 40k, they said I had no need to be in a hurry for phase 2. I'm in no hurry at 42k.

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
Someone here was making an OBDII lock that prevented them from accessing the plug. Something to think about if you really don't want them to do it until you are ready. But waiting a really long time might not be good. There are a few out there who have money at stake and they don't get paid the final payment until part 2 is done. But that isn't most of us, and certainly not you if you bought a new old stock like me.

Here is the link to the lock. It has positives and negatives about using it though.

https://www.bem-auto.com/product-page/universal-tune-saver

A thread on it to read:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=482350&highlight=obd+lock

Or this thing maybe. Not a lock but will get attention.

https://www.amazon.com/Daystar-Universal-preserve-KU71124BK-America/dp/B00ASKRKQY
I've seen those, pretty cool device.

I just gave in and called them to schedule it. Someone on another thread had a good point that it's going to be a bigger and bigger PITA to get the parts as time goes on, and there aren't any negatives to get it done. I wasn't planning on attempting to get it extended longer or anything, so I might as well get it done while I live near a dealership, I'm moving in a few months and will be a couple hundred miles away from one.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Better sooner than later then. There shouldn't be a shortage of parts for some time though as they have to maintain these things for a long, long time. By court order.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Better sooner than later then. There shouldn't be a shortage of parts for some time though as they have to maintain these things for a long, long time. By court order.
LOL:rolleyes:.try getting a DPF on short order!! Those are a common problem and LONG wait times for at least the earlier ones..not sure about 2013+failure rates..there is most definitely a shortage of them..sure they will fix your warranty problem ( pertaining to the dpf's and maybe the egr filter that is)...........when they can:confused:

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I always have spare cars so no problem. Just because there are wait times now doesn't mean it will continue either. I have my choice of 3 or 4 I can drive. My $1200 2002 Suburban will do just fine if needed. Or 1935 Ford or 1954 Chevy truck or 1936 ford coupe or 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe or 2004 Jeep Liberty etc...

Last edited:

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
I know they have to keep supporting them, but that doesn't mean it'll be easy, and this is probably my best chance for a few years to be near a dealership and have time to deal with it.

LOL:rolleyes:.try getting a DPF on short order!! Those are a common problem and LONG wait times for at least the earlier ones..not sure about 2013+failure rates..there is most definitely a shortage of them..sure they will fix your warranty problem ( pertaining to the dpf's and maybe the egr filter that is)...........when they can:confused:
Funny enough, the service guy got back to me and said there's a part on backorder. I'll have to ask what it was when I take it in.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
I always have spare cars so no problem. Just because there are wait times now doesn't mean it will continue either. I have my choice of 3 or 4 I can drive. My $1200 2002 Suburban will do just fine if needed. Or 1935 Ford or 1954 Chevy truck or 1936 ford coupe or 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe or 2004 Jeep Liberty etc...

Ahh... yea, I have a "few" cars also to have for back-ups .. passat, 2015 sel,.2011 jetta tdi "loaded"...1970 GTO Judge..1972 Lemans GT 455 ram air convertible..( 1 of 5! see it under my name,avatar).... and last but not least..a 1997 F150 4x4 Lariat flareside truck ( farm/horse ranch use) and the always dependable 2000 vw jetta TDI!.cause I like it.. Pictures upon request..classics are show quality :D

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I know they have to keep supporting them, but that doesn't mean it'll be easy, and this is probably my best chance for a few years to be near a dealership and have time to deal with it.
Funny enough, the service guy got back to me and said there's a part on backorder. I'll have to ask what it was when I take it in.
Nothing in life is guaranteed or promised to be easy. Pick your choices according to your desires and needs, then go after them.