Turn signal not working consistently

Ralphpowell

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,green
The turn signal in my 2000 Jetta TDI has been giving me fits lately. Everyday is a different story. It ends up doing one of the following ( depending on the mood it's in that day)

1) work correctly
2) lights up but doesn't flash ( light stays solid )
3) completely dead ( no flashing or lighting up at whatsoever )

anyone else ever have this experience? Any thoughts on a cause or how I might be able fix this?

In addition, the emergency flashers don't work when I am having these issues. Thanks

Ralph

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
It might be the flasher relay itself at fault, it's the actual hazard switch. Personally I'd see if I could grab another and try it

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Here's an idea: a while back I was having odd turn signal response and consistency.
I got a can of MAF cleaner (plastic friendly de-greaser) I literally sprayed down along the turn stalk front and back, and the problem had never returned.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If you have the VIN handy, a call to your nearest VW dealer should tell you if the recall on the hazard switch was done. It was a recall at least 10 years ago, and since my Y2K Golf was notified, yours may have fallen in that range as well. And, the owner then may have ignored it like I did since mine was working well at that time.

Mine never has caused trouble.

Cheers,

PH

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
A bit of contact cleaner down the stalk may help, but I would just get a new flasher.