Replace BEW intercooler as preventative maintenance?

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
So my BEW has 196k miles in it and the intercooler piping is oil soaked and I'm sure all the oil o ring seals are blown out. Car is an automatic with a RC1, complete dad mobile, nothing special.

My question is, is it worth it to replace the intercooler as preventative maintenance? Do intercoolers go bad?

What should I do?

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I would replace the fender liner as preventive maintenance, if has become loose and/or been worn away by the tire. That can expose the intercooler to debris that gets kicked up by the tire, causing a puncture. Nothing lasts forever but the intercooler is not really something likely to fail. I had to replace mine after my daughter ran over something that destroyed a rim, among other things.

You can buy replacement O-rings to minimize weeping from the seals. https://www.idparts.com/intercooler-pipes-seal-kit-a4-bew-p-2465.html

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
I would replace the fender liner as preventive maintenance, if has become loose and/or been worn away by the tire. That can expose the intercooler to debris that gets kicked up by the tire, causing a puncture. Nothing lasts forever but the intercooler is not really something likely to fail. I had to replace mine after my daughter ran over something that destroyed a rim, among other things.

You can buy replacement O-rings to minimize weeping from the seals. https://www.idparts.com/intercooler-pipes-seal-kit-a4-bew-p-2465.html
Fender liner is still very secure and my panzer plate is always installed. I also (conveniently enough) already have the IDPARTS seal kit you reference.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
Well, 2 years and 22k miles later, I replaced the intercooler. The shroud had rubbed a hole thru, finally found my "chuff". Anyways, it runs great now and seems to have more pep, judging by the butt dyno...