Tuning and emissions hardware...

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
So I couldn't stand the poor throttle response and dismal mileage with the Touareg anymore so I ended up going with Malone stage 2. Does anyone have opinions or data that pertains to the effects of tuning on the emissions hardware? I'm not deleting anything.

It seems to me that there is a conflict between NOx and particulates and MPG. I would imagine that adding advance would increase NOx while improving particulate/MPG/power without adding any significant increase to the DPF cycle. Any thoughts?

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
In my opinion it’s probably better for the system to actually run right instead of deregulated. Just so you know though that hardware is going to slowly nickel and dime you. My Touareg has been at the dealer 4 times for hardware fails. Most of the cars VW fixed they only changed and flashed the bare minimum. So there are parts that were not changed. From that those parts were not used for all those years with the old software. Now that parts are being used and can not withstand regular use and will need replaced soon than later.

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
1984 CJ w/ ALH and 1994 XJ w/ PD150/ALH hybrid
I feel the same as Yourbuddysatin. To increase power in a diesel you need to add more air, fuel, and timing. Unless it's done perfectly through all variables, there's a chance that you could wear items faster.

I'm sure a huckster will be here in a moment to refute our thoughts though.