Brake pads and rotors

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Hi all,
So Im at about 120k on my JSW and Im getting a little shudder when braking at 55+. It's not really a cibration that comes through the streering wheel, but I'm thinkin' it's about time for brakes. I drive Lyft and other delivery stuff, so I guess I'm a "severe duty" application. What are you peoples liking for rotors and pads? I don't need to go super-spendy to show off, but will spend money on good parts. OEM rotors and...StopTech pads? EBC slotted rotors and pads? Suggestions? I'm doin a fair bit of in town driving.

Thanks for the community brain power

Todd

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembl...-big-brake-kit-plain-rotors-312x25/1ko698001/

I went with this mild "big brake kit" for my 12' Golf. Its basically slightly larger diameter rotors from a Jetta GLI and the caliper brackets to make your stock calipers work with them. Install is as straight forward and easy as swapping out stock rotors/pads. You can get slotted and/or drilled rotors in the kit if you want but I'm not a fan of the increased noise and pad wear common with slotted rotors. The brakes are definitely better with the larger rotors but not overly aggressive. As for pads, do your research and pick out the pad you think will be best for you, factory stock pads work with this kit. I tried out some NAPA ceramic pads and they are adequate for my needs, a bit more dusty than stock when I'm hard on them but thats to be expected. Good luck with whatever you decide!

FlatLander72

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I have had several no VW vendors, i.e. Napa and AutoZone, tell me you will not find anything better than the OEM VW parts. When replaced the stock original set of brakes on my Sportwagen at around 130,000 miles. There was still about 10 to 15% of wear left on them. The rotors had developed some ridges and had some vibration and noise issues. If you are not going for performance or bling, stay with the VW brand. I didn't find it all that much more expensive when I looked. I used ECS Tuning.

My $.02,

FlatLander

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

needsmoarturbo

TDI
2011 JSW
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembl...-big-brake-kit-plain-rotors-312x25/1ko698001/

I went with this mild "big brake kit" for my 12' Golf. Its basically slightly larger diameter rotors from a Jetta GLI and the caliper brackets to make your stock calipers work with them. Install is as straight forward and easy as swapping out stock rotors/pads. You can get slotted and/or drilled rotors in the kit if you want but I'm not a fan of the increased noise and pad wear common with slotted rotors. The brakes are definitely better with the larger rotors but not overly aggressive. As for pads, do your research and pick out the pad you think will be best for you, factory stock pads work with this kit. I tried out some NAPA ceramic pads and they are adequate for my needs, a bit more dusty than stock when I'm hard on them but thats to be expected. Good luck with whatever you decide!
I'm pretty sure the jsw already has rotors that are bigger than standard golf rotors if I remember correctly.

Zimmerman are excellent quality rotors though with that nice anti corrosive coating. I would recommend them.

Last edited:

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I'm pretty sure the jsw already has rotors that are bigger than standard golf rotors if I remember correctly.

Zimmerman are excellent quality rotors though with that nice anti corrosive coating. I would recommend them.

That's correct.

Also a +1 for Zimmerman rotors, to which I'd also suggest OEM or Brembo. My OEM rotors were on for almost 200k miles and in good shape considering, aside from some pad ridges.

I'm not a fan of slotted type rotors for a commuter car... it's more marketing than performance improvement. And you're going to be replacing rotors and pads more frequently.

EBC are pads that get a good rep for good reason. Hawk HPS are cheap and have a good rep based on initial bite vs longevity and dust. My Brembo ceramics have been reasonable for a commuter car but the initial bite when cold isn't that great. Not much dust but they do squeak at times. I'll get something different when the time comes, but no major complaints. Depends on the characteristics you're looking for, everyone drives a bit differently.

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
EXCELLENT!!! Thank you all for your insightfull responses. I had considered going OEM 'cause....GERMAN engineering? Agreed to on slotted or drilled. Prone to more problems than benefits,.....unless someone is buying them for you? A friend with a 335d really likes the StopTech pads, as had been recommended by many local autocross racers. ECS has been a regular source for perusing too, thanks..Interestingly, I too still have decent pad thickness at 119k+, but I'm getting vibration it I get on the brakes aggressively at hwy speeds. Time for refresh?

Thanks again to all responders

Todd

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
ECS is expensive... idparts and FCP Euro are typically more in line with reason. Added benefit of FCP is their lifetime warranty.

Rawlins

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI
I just bought a 2012 GSW (canada) and had to do the front brakes. Initially got 288mm rotors just to find I needed 312mm. Went with Perfect Stop high carbon rotors and ceramic pads. Fits great and has a black coating on non friction areas. Weren't cheap, but it's what I could get at the moment