2015 TDI manual -- odd throttle lag?

mk4forever

TDI
2015 Jetta stick
I recently picked up a practically new 2015 Jetta TDI manual, and noticed a bit of an odd characteristic coming from the mk4 TDI manual I used to drive before. It does have the emissions fix, and I'm hoping this isn't a consequence of that.

The engine seems to have difficulty responding to hard acceleration requests -- on the mkv4, if I was shifting into 3rd or 4th and put my foot down right after the shift, the engine would continue making near maximum torque with next to zero throttle lag (catching the falling RPMs to do so after being WOT in the prior gear -- i.e. really fast shifts). If I wasn't bogging the engine down, I could also get good power in well under half a second if it was already in gear and I needed to accelerate suddenly.

On the new mk6, if I try the same shifting technique, I notice the boost fall to zero, and it takes a good second or two (!) before the car decides to apply boost beyond a few PSI, and I get a real good kick / power surge as the boost goes up to 20-30PSI according to Torque Pro (accompanied with tires slipping, which is not what I was going for right at the next upshift point!). It even shows up if it's already in gear and I need to do a sudden acceleration -- I put the pedal down and I get practically unboosted power from the engine for a good second or so, followed by a massive power surge. Makes merging onto the expressway "fun" at best.

Needless to say this makes it somewhat irritating to drive. I'm planning to connect it to VCST and check the turbo actuator / vacuum system, but has anyone else seen this? Any ideas on what else to check? I test drove a 2014 manual TDI and it didn't do this, so I'm hoping it's something that is fixable (vacuum problem, turbo actuator rod, etc.).

Thanks!

Last edited: