Deeds' Q5 TDI Ownership Log

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Hey Pittdawg- I have! I’ve had it on for the last ~80 miles and love it. The shifts are much better: they are faster, the gears are no longer held at awkward RPMS (which happened after I deleted, straight piped, and tuned) and they don’t jerk nearly as hard as before when going from a stop to driving; the car feels much better and overall more refined. When I put my car into dynamic mode, the difference is huge. The car shifts incredibly fast. Apparently the car is still “learning” during the first 100mi after the TCM tune is installed. One of the biggest reasons I got the TCM tune is because I plan on getting a bigger turbo along with an upgraded fuel pump in the future (I’ve already communicated with Darkside Developments regarding the specific pump upgrade) and wanted to make sure my transmission could hold the increased torque and hp. I believe the tune was worth the money and install was very simple. Install took about ~7min total which includes the 5min idle time after installing.
Thanks for the update. Please remind me which one you went with, the 240ps model?

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI S-Line + Black Optics Package
Oh nice! Just make sure you read the instructions and follow them for installation. Let me know what you think after you install the TCM tune and drive it ~100mi. I’m looking forward to hearing your review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Oh nice! Just make sure you read the instructions and follow them for installation. Let me know what you think after you install the TCM tune and drive it ~100mi. I’m looking forward to hearing your review.

Just had it delivered this morning and installed it right away. Went for about a 10 mile or so drive to go through the rev ranges in the different driving modes. Definitely seems to shift both faster and smoother. The biggest difference I noticed is the downshifting in Sport/Dynamic is now smooth whereas before it was super jerky and suffered from excessive engine braking. I now enjoy Sport/Dynamic mode much more.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Just sound deadened the rest of my trunk (pulled the battery) and the rear hatch. I had to change my tail light anyway because it was leaking water to the inside so I figured I might as well sound deaden the hatch while I had everything pulled apart. Unfortunately I had to buy an entire tail light since the whole unit is full of LEDs and a bulb can’t just be pulled. BUT! - I scored a good deal on the tail light through a guy on offer up who had a wrecked Q5!!

Leaky taillight vs new one

Rear hatch sound deadened

Rear trunk sound deadened:

I also sound deadened my rear doors a while back but didn’t take any pictures. The sound difference is definitely noticeable- very big difference. I plan to do the front doors sometime soon and will take pics!

Last edited:

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Hey Diesel,

Hows the tranny tune now? ( I assume your past the 100 mi breakin at this point ). Still loving the handling / drop?

Thanks,
Daemon

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Diesel,

Hows the tranny tune now? ( I assume your past the 100 mi breakin at this point ). Still loving the handling / drop?

Thanks,
Daemon

Hey Daemon,

I am yeah- I think I’ve put ~1000mi on with the the tranny tune and everything is rock solid still; no complaints. Are you thinking of making that leap soon?

Im loving the drop too- I just installed some new Continental Extreme Contact DSW06 tires on. Handles good for all seasons but I don’t know enough about tires to pick out good all seasons that offer a quiet ride. If you know of any tires that are a great blend of handling and quiet ride, let me know!

Next thing to do for me is to change the center diff fluid; which I had a reputable German auto shop tell me he’s never changed center diff fluid on any Q5, SQ5, A4, or any B8 model. He told me it’s not needed unless I’m beating the living hell out of my car all the time or frequently doing track days. Have any thoughts on this?

Also- is the rear sway that and end links that you installed worth the purchase?

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Hey diesel,

I'm currently trying to figure out why my car makes a clicking sound when I turn the wheel over... mostly from a stop, slow speed or backing up. Power steering fluid is below minimum when cold so it might be that... hahaha.... well see. But if it is suspension related I am going full all in... vogtland springs, bilstein b8, full camber correcting 034 control arms, new rear tow links and etc...etc... so I can drop it AND get the alignment perfect.... which ofcourse will also refresh the suspension.

The tranny tune I might do in the next few weeks as well. Well see what the budget brings.... hahah

As far as tires we've run the continental DWS 06 tires on literally every car weve ever owned, 2015 kia forte, 2013 golf tdi, 2018 wrx, 2011 wrx.... they are not on my Q5 yet only because I want to get bigger rims and change the tire size to 255. So I love them and have never noticed their noise... hahahaa

On the center diff. I had my mechanic do it. It is a more expensive fluid because it has a special additive in it. I think with the amount of power and weight we have in these things it's just relatively cheap insurance... I might be a little overkill with it my mom used to be a cert mechanic so I do things a little more than most people.

I did the rear swaybar, endlinks, front subframe, and some inserts at the same time. But doing all that it made the cornering amazingly neutral and you can push the rear now just slightly if you want to. It completely transformed the handling of the car... it was amazing.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright so I have a few new experiences to add to the thread:
1. I raced my neighbor’s SQ5
My neighbor is a super intelligent gear-head who has helped me through anything I’ve ever needed on my Q5. He helped me do my suspension and answer any questions I’ve had. He also has a stock 2019 SQ5. Even though we know the SQ5 is faster, we wanted to see how my modded Q5 stacks up against his SQ5. So we took a quick trip to Mexico and ran a hard launch from 0-95mph a couple times and we were very surprised how well the Q5 TDI did. The Q5 TDI was neck and neck with the SQ5 from 0-55mph and after that the SQ5 began to pull and by the time we hit 95, the SQ5 had 2 car lengths on my TDI.

2. I did a round of autoX and have some small video snips of the experience (a 15sec one that I’ll add today).

So I did my first round of autoX last weekend in my Q5 and it was great! I’m new to the autoX scene but my neighbor has been doing it for years in 3 different cars that he’s owned. He actually bought my wife’s 2007 A4 with S-Line suspension and stasis exhaust . After he bought the car, he had the engine pulled the next day and he replaced the clutch, sensors, spark plugs and coils, and added a 034 rear sway last week (which made a huge difference in handling). He took the A4 to autoX and we drove each other’s for a few rounds. Reason why I mention all of this is because my neighbor ran faster times in my Q5 TDI than he did with his A4 with S-Line suspension and a rear sway. Here’s a very short snip for now which is really only good for hearing a little of my exhaust:

https://youtu.be/ubED-k2SDWI

Last edited:

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Diesel,

Thats awesome man. Congrats, and the autox vid looks awesome. Sounds awesome too. Best I could get w/ tranny tune and such is 0-60 in 5.48s... Yours must be quicker being no alphabet soup and being me that's not enough hahaha!

I think I've decided that early to mid next year I am custom ordering one of the 2021 Q5 PHEV Prestige w/o the pano, normal is 0-60 in 5s, pano removes 200lbs so should get sub 5s, electric motor torque is instant, and the 2.0 makes peak torque @ 1350 rpm, so earlier than my TDI. Going w/ the sport package so adaptive air ride, and the such... pretty much I save around 25k in mods I'd so to mine, between that, and the resale value of mine I'll be up around 40k to invest in a new one. Plus I do tons of 5 - 6 mile trips so having PHEV is a win win for me, and I still get to tow w/ it. Sorry to disappoint, I like diesels, but the PHEV is just as efficient, and when i remove the extra weight it will have more grunt, and the same weight as my Q5 currently. If you look on fuelly you will see people getting 44 - 62 MPG with them because of using more electricity, I only average 27.2 w/ mine. And i have to believe with all the city driving I do have the PHEV part will reduce my carbon footprint significantly. http://www.fuelly.com/car/audi/q5/2020

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Daemon that’s awesome! I have been thinking of that option also. My work is 7.5mi away which means 5 days out of the week, my driving would be electric and weekend trips would be the only times I’d be spending money on gas. Have you seen what ABT was able to accomplish with the Q5 PHEV? They tuned the Q5 PHEV car and were able to squeeze another 57hp and 36 lb/ft by tuning the 2L ICE. With that little extra power and the 200lb savings, I’d imagine people will be able to hit 4.7-4.8 0-60. Hopefully APR and other tuning companies start to tune them and make the tunes publicly available! Not bad for a SUV that is fuel efficient!

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Diesel,

Yes I did see that sounds pretty awesome. I think the big differences for me also are the near instant torque / power, yet being efficient, and if i spec it with the air ride i can get as low as 6.75"( lower than you current or same height ) and as high as 9" at will. Also I wasn't too impressed with the 18 - 20 styling, but seriously look at the PHEV 2021 it looks awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dxNtN_8ndE

The one in that video is the SLine+ package which is what is on the phev / w/ sport package. I agree on the mods but that would be down the line for me, can't mod a 70,000 car right out the gate... hahaha...

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
I installed my 034 rear sway this last Sunday! The difference is gigantic! With my combination of lighter Vorsteiner wheels, Vogtland springs, and the 034 sway bar, the Q5 is a completely difference car to drive. It has a go-cart feel when taking corners fast and feels like a sports sedan now. If you’re on the fence about buying a rear sway, just buy it. The difference is felt at low speeds (15-20 mph when leaving my neighborhood) and felt even more at higher speeds. Even if you’re someone who doesn’t drive aggressively, it’s worth it. The sway gives the car a huge advantage and feel in cornering without sacrificing any ride quality.

Thin and hollow stock sway next to thicker and solid 034 sway

Last edited:

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
I can confirm that 1000%. It makes such a huge difference. I would caution you after my bushings disintegrated. As per 034 suggestion grease the bushings atleast every 3k miles or less... This is the stuff they recommended: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042FG74W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And if you don't have a grease gun -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G51W1VN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm about 1k miles on the new bushings, and i used a ton of grease on them... no squeeking or etc yet. I'm going to visually inspect them this weekend to see how they are holding up.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks so much for that info Daemon! I just ordered both of the products that you posted haha. I'll grease them every couple fuel ups to make sure I don't eat through the bushings. Thanks again!

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Daemon that’s awesome! I have been thinking of that option also. My work is 7.5mi away which means 5 days out of the week, my driving would be electric and weekend trips would be the only times I’d be spending money on gas. Have you seen what ABT was able to accomplish with the Q5 PHEV? They tuned the Q5 PHEV car and were able to squeeze another 57hp and 36 lb/ft by tuning the 2L ICE. With that little extra power and the 200lb savings, I’d imagine people will be able to hit 4.7-4.8 0-60. Hopefully APR and other tuning companies start to tune them and make the tunes publicly available! Not bad for a SUV that is fuel efficient!

Hey Diesel,

I went to the Audi Dealership yesterday, just to mostly poke around, ask questions, and I got them to evaluate my Q5 for a possible trade. Just info gathering, but I learned something interesting that I didn't know. The 2020 / 2021 Q5 55e PHEV is not recommended to Tow with. So if thats a make or break point with you, you might want to consider regular, or SQ5. But everything else was spot on, I even got a build sheet from them since the 2021s are not on the site yet. But basically the 55e starts at 51,900. The Premium+ is + 3900, and Prestige is total +9,800. Sport package which id 20" 255/45/20 + Adaptive Air Suspension + Black Headliner + Sport Seats from SQ5 = $3300 on Premium+, or $2200 on Prestige. Pano Delete = free. Interestingly enough the cold weather, and warm weather package is basically standard on the 55e premium+ or higher. Also the "privacy cover" or "tonneau" cover is $270 option now, the all weather mats are 200 ( i have them now and like them )

so my Spec would be 51,900 + 1095 ( destination charge ), +595 ( paint color of Blue metallic ), + 9800 Prestige, + 2200 Sport Package + 0 for pano Delete = 65,590 ( Before Tax, Title, Documentation Fee, etc..etc...etc.. ). Keep in mind Federal tax credit of 6,715. Any applicable trade-in and etc... He seemed totally cool with them ordering me one specifically the way I want it just may take a few months for it to come in. But generally I've never heard a dealer doing that ( but I've never bought a brand new audi either ). They offered me 16127 for my 2015 Q5 TDI Premium+ w/ 65k miles ( they didn't even mention all the mods, heh ). But I feel I will likely look more into this in the March / April time frame, especially when more info is available on the 2021's.

Cool thing is it looks like the Air ride the same from the SQ5. Which stock Ride height on my Q5 = 7.9" Ground clearance, SQ5 w/ air ride is 7" in Auto or comfort mode, in All Road it goes + 1.2" ( up to 8.2" ), and in dynamic its -.6" or 6.4" of ground clearance. You Q5 w/ you springs currently should be 7.9 - 1.2 or 6.7". So drive this thing in dynamic and its' a little lower than you current setup, and if you remove the sunroof, and have the batteries the center of gravity = very low. w/ Sub 5s 0-60 w/o even modifying it, take the abt tune or an equivelant APR when it comes out and you're likely talking like you said 4.7 - 4.8 ( I did some math w/ removing just the sunroof ), and it went from 5.04s to 4.91s. So adding the extra grunt should bring it to 4.7 or 4.6. That's pretty crazy for what it is.

Last thing is looking at fuelly on the 2020 Q5 55e - The lowest guy w/ a 55e is averaging 39.8 mpg( 3351 miles ), the next person is 65.4( 3433 miles ), 61( 3979 miles ), 68.9( 2757 miles ). In perspective I drive pretty reasonable and usually can beat a cars MPG my Q5 = 28.4 avg( 7793 miles... I've driven more just wasn't tracking before ). So at the minimum worst dude thats +11.4 or 40% more mpg to we'll say 60mpg or 111% more mpg. w/ cheaper fuel that pollutes less to begin w/. I'd say faster, sportier vehicle, that gets better MPG by a substantial amount is a win win win.

Anyways I've ranted and jacked your thread enough... just wanted to update you on my findings since you mentioned it as well.

Thanks
Daemon

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Daemon! All that info is super cool and I’d love to go that route but I just got done doing some modding to my car..
I’ve been meaning to post here lately with an update but wanted to finish the install before i mentioned anything- I bought Bobby Singh’s hybrid turbo and installed it with my neighbor a week ago. I installed Malone’s base tune for the turbo and the car is a f*cking rocket. Using VCDS, I did a 0-60 the other day on very flat ground with a decent launch (def could’ve been better) and my 0-60 was 4.8, did it a 2nd time on a slight decline and the 0-60 was 4.4. My neighbor beat a 350z starting at freeway speeds the day after we got it installed. I logged TQ at the flywheel and I got 822nm, or 605ft/lbs @ ~2700 I just sent in VCDS logs to Malone to get a custom tune back. I also have the metering valve to install after I receive the custom tune back from Mark.

I raced my neighbors 2019 SQ5 a couple months ago and held even with him until 50mph then he slowly pulled away up to ~90mph. I’m very curious to see how it’ll match up now; after my neighbor drove it, he said it’ll beat the sq5. I guess we’ll find out soon though! I’ll post pics of the install tomorrow and hopefully get some vids of my speedometer soon.

Last edited:

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
So no specific tune needed for the metering valve? I'm wondering if I would benefit from it with my APR tune and stock turbo...
Hey Pittdawg,

The metering valve does require a tune. So i'm installing the metering valve hopefully in these next couple days and I have a tune waiting in my email for it. I'm going to put it on, install the tune, take some logs on VCDS, send them to Mark, he'll check out the logs and let me know if anything needs altering.

Also- I raced my neighbor's SQ5 last week, I don't think I had a great launch but regardless, I pulled on him 0-100 by a few car lengths. With some of the logs I took, I was able to measure torque and create a road dyno. I took the torque values for the given rpm, plugged them into an excel sheet with the equations to get hp ((tq x rpm) / 5252) and I got values spit out and made a graph. My max tq was 606ft/lbs and my max hp was 421. These are all at the crank of course. I would post a picture of the numbers and graph but the forum is making me insert a hyperlink now or something.. I have the graphs saved to compare to pre and post metering valve. I'll keep you all updated and i'll try to figure out how to post pictures!

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
FYI I'm having the metering valve installed today. Apparently, on certain models like mine (Engine Code CPNB) it's a real PITA to get to as it's behind the turbo/intake manifold. I'll let you know how it goes.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI I'm having the metering valve installed today. Apparently, on certain models like mine (Engine Code CPNB) it's a real PITA to get to as it's behind the turbo/intake manifold. I'll let you know how it goes.
How did the install go?! And did you get it tuned yet? I haven’t installed mine yet- life has just been too busy lately.

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Install went pretty well. My mechanic said the area of the pump where the valve sits is at the very rear of the engine so he needed to move a lot out of the way (most notably the turbo), Other than that, he said the install was very straightforward, plug and play.

I still have my original APR tune. Darkside said it would work fine without a specific tune for more fuel but if I wanted the most benefit I could have my tune modified down the line.

As of right now, I'm not in a hurry as I can already tell for sure there is greatly increased torque.

My APR ECU tune on stock hardware was 305 hp/480 lbs-tq. With the BITDI intercooler, Magnaflow 3 inch catback, TCU tune and the metering valve in addition to the tune this thing really scoots!

Get it installed asap I promise you will enjoy it.

Natefank2

TDI
A6 TDi
Hey, nice build. Have you guys upgraded the MAF and the intake? I have a Bobby Signh Racing turbo and had him do the tuning through Malone and he required a custom intake due to the restrictions of the stock intake.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Nate, nice! It seems like you have a similar setup as I do. I did have to upgrade a few of my sensors and my maf, which I ordered with my turbo from Bobby with my upgraded turbo. I bought some different intake tubing and did my intake during my turbo upgrade as well.

Natefank2

TDI
A6 TDi
Ok, Bobby sent me a pic of one he had made and I kinda copied his design. The only thing I haven't done is the metering valve. I don't want to add it and have to go through the tuning process again. The dyno sheet that is on Malone's website for their stage 3 tune is from my car.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh awesome! I think i've seen your A6 on his youtube channel then. Is this it?

I also haven't installed the metering valve.

I would post pictures of the install process and finished product but I think TDI club changed the way you can upload pictures or something.. I think I have to upload the pictures to a photo storage thing like photobucket or something first?? I have some questions for you btw- check your PMs

Natefank2

TDI
A6 TDi
Yep that's my car.
I'm not sure how to upload pics on here.
The turbo install is a PITA, there's no guides on how to do it. I kinda had to wing it on how to take it all apart. Send any questions u have my way, I'll answer what I can.

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Hey, nice build. Have you guys upgraded the MAF and the intake? I have a Bobby Signh Racing turbo and had him do the tuning through Malone and he required a custom intake due to the restrictions of the stock intake.
I have stock air intake other than an AFE Dry Flow filter which allegedly may flow a tiny bit more than OEM. As I am sure you have seen here many in the TDI world feel OEM intake sizes/paths etc. are nearly fully maximized already for the maximum power you could squeeze out of a stock turbo.

If, as in your case, you are installing a larger aftermarket turbo than it fully makes sense upgrading MAF and sometimes a bar map sensor upgrade too.

Diesel,

I'm dying to hear your review on the metering valve? I'm telling you, the increased torque is very noticeable!