MMI HDD failure?

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
Has anyone had a failed MMI? I am asking because mine takes several minutes to start playing music or connect for calls and I just recent ran across a video discussing replacement. With the age of our vehicle being around 6 years or so, this was maintenance I failed for anticipate and want to plan for.

I am going to be updating my MMI to CarPlay and, since I will have the dash apart, this feels like a good time to replace it, if needed.

Thanks for your input.

Drive safe.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Mine recently did that. I had to pullover and shut the car off and restart and all worked like it should. My previous VW would have weird symptoms like this but nothing never failed. On my wife's Q5 the buttons on the MMI were sticking because the PO spilled coffee on it. I kept wiping the buttons down with window cleaner till they finally worked as they should.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Think you can swap out IDE disk for one of identical size and do a dd copy from one to another, if you want to upsize the hdd its a bit more tricky cuz you gotta format it using a QNX OS and then sync files off old drive to new drive.

I'd also look at putting like a 32gig IDE DOM on it so you took out all the mechanical dependencies.