Buying a TDI in MA and transporting back to PA

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Oh, well... guess I broke the law, and got away with it!:eek:
Meaning, you can't have the rear 2 wheels on the road, all 4 wheels need to be on a trailer?

Cheers,

PH
Can't use a tow dolly on an unregistered vehicle. This is true for both MA and NH, and probably other states as well - but not VT, last I checked.
I just looked at the NY state in-transit permit application and it says in bold letters "NOT VALID IN MASSACHUSETTS".
Unfortunately, Massachusetts tends to over-regulate most everything, then under-enforce most every rule....comes down to the cops getting told the rules are there as "tools" to enforce and use as needed....yes, my uncle could not wait to retire as a cop in Cambridge Massachusetts....the same liberal system that says everybody should be treated equally tells cops to enforce the laws as needed when a person is or might become "an issue" leaving the vast majority to flaunt the law if they blend in locally. Can't stand the double standard.
But that's why I live in NH.

Oo-v-oO

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta Expired... Now 2000 Golf & 2002 Golf
Meaning, you can't have the rear 2 wheels on the road, all 4 wheels need to be on a trailer?

Cheers,

PH
Correct. As long as the car has a current registration it is OK to use a dolly because the State has gotten it's money and they'll give you the unregistered dolly for free. Otherwise, you pay for the trailer registration and you can put what you want on it.

They also want the dollied vehicle to be inspected, but I think as long a it has a current plate and parts aren't falling off they'd leave you alone.

GTDI4

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
The MA DOT issued the following statement:
Massachusetts does not issue temporary registration plates for its own residents but it does recognize temporary registration plates validly registered in other states to non-residents of Massachusetts who are temporarily operating in this state (assuming the plates are not expired or suspended.) Thus, a Connecticut resident operating a motor vehicle in Massachusetts on validly issued temporary Connecticut registration plates is OK, but a Massachusetts resident operating a newly purchased motor vehicle in Massachusetts with validly issued temporary Connecticut plates is not.
A Massachusetts resident who purchases a motor vehicle in another state must apply for and attach valid Massachusetts registration plates to the vehicle before he/she can drive the vehicle back to Massachusetts.
Nope, Mass doesn't recognize any temp plates as valid.

I bought a truck in NY and drove down from NH through Mass and CT with my wife to get it. We were told in no uncertain terms by more then one employee at the NY DMV to NOT drive back through Mass, as the police love to pull over anybody with temp plates. Instead, we had to drive North through NY and VT then cross over into NH, in a snowstorm. Fun times.