White Golf GL 5-speed TDI . . . Finally in my garage!!

size15n

After four months and one day, I can happily inform the forum that I have taken delivery of a brand new White Golf GL 5-speed TDI. I purchased the vehicle through James Patereau at Greenlight.com, who lived admirably up to the origional incredibly low price. I owe incredible thanks to Jeff Tamborrino at Suntrup VW in St. Louis, who as Greenlight's dealer jumped through hoops to help me get the car I wanted. I am also extreemly thankfull to Sally Ebberly at VWOA for working with my dealer and locating "MY CAR". I also want to thank my family, especially my wife who endured my obcession with getting my new TDI.

I'll get pictures posted as soon as I can.

Heinz57

Veteran Member
Congratulations - a wait well worth it !! I had a few problems at the beginning and still have some but it is not the norm. What color interior??? I have a white 2K Golf GL TDI with black interior - extremely hard to keep clean. I got the OEM rubber floor mats and tinted the windows to keep out the heat and was pleasantly surprised that the reduced light minimized the appearant "dirty" interior the black seems to exhibit. For lint carry one of those lint brushes at walmart ($2) for a quick cleanup. I managed to find a 46" wide industrial black rubber mat that I cut to size to fit in the back area - nice way to keep the cargo area clean.
I also got the OEM Mudguards which I think gives the car a little dressy feeling without overdoing it. If you want driving lights Hella makes a new set not available but will be in the near future in the USA that takes out the outboard airscoops and replaces them with lights/airscoop - no idea if it uses a rotary OEM switch. I also added the 5 spoke OEM alloy's and a 6/CD pack in the back which was extermely easy to install. Just turned 5k on the car in 2 months worth of driving. This forum will tell you everything you want to know abot TDI's. I think the golf is not as aerodynamic as the Jetta and suspect mileage is therefore slightly lower. Good luck and enjoy!!!!!

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
Congratulations, size15n! Wonderful choice of car. Of course, I am biased, since I have a white 2000 Golf GLS-TDI also. Mine has a beige interior, a 5-speed manual transmission, and the luxury package (which I didn't actually want, but figured I have to accept if I am to drive a 4-door Golf TDI in this century. At least the alloy wheels look really nice! I'm also curious as to what color interior you got in yours. I like the beige very much, because it is relatively warm and friendly looking, and I absolutely wanted a bright, visible exterior, thereby making white the only possible choice for a Golf.
All that is left now is to go out and enjoy driving your new Golf GL-TDI!

size15n

The White with Black interior GL Golf 5-speed I got Friday is pretty much the base vehicle with no options. I do intend to get VW rubber floor mats, a cargo mat (weathertech), tinting for the glass, and possibly seat covers and driving lights. This car has a great feel, I'm sure we're going to have many happy miles together.

Heinz57

Veteran Member
Check out the very latest at www.Hella.com/ for driving lights specifically for VW products including the Golf IV/Lupo/Beetle - sorry no Jetta. I ordered mine today and should be here on Friday - will keep you posted in regards to ease of installation.

[This message has been edited by Heinz57 (edited June 26, 2000).]

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Congratulations size15n!

I love my 2000 silver/grey GLS (w/cold weather). I could have done without some of the power windows and locks, but I don't mind having them and at least I didn't have to pay for the luxury package.

I have weathertech mats and the cargo liner. And thanks to Heinz57, I'm thinking about those Hellas.

------------------
2000 Golf GLS TDI

size15n

The price I was quoted from Greenlight.com was Dealer Invoice $15,626. There was about $200 additional VW "fees" added on, but I'm still very happy about the deal. Greenlight is not offering Golf TDIs at this time in my area. If you want to call them, maybe they can quote you a price, but I'll bet my "deal" was an exception. I sincerely believe they lost money on my deal since it took so long and availibility was low. Good luck.

Yes it does have cruise control.

[This message has been edited by size15n (edited June 27, 2000).]

Robber

Veteran Member
TDI
Did own 99 Golf IV, Upsolute Chip and opened intake
Congrats on the New White Golf GL 5-speed TDI.

Notice the Signature profile

Rob

------------------
99 Golf GL TDI, White
Front Bra Cover, Spash Guards,
Armrest, VW Bike Rack & Tinted windows
Boost guage and pyrometer

Till death do us part.