Syndiesel

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
sebring96hbg said:
dh,

what was your quote, please?
I went to the final order page with 4 drums and it says shipping with a business dock was like $10.63 for UPS ground. I can't send a 13 pound bumper cover for less than $85 with UPS.

sebring96hbg

TDI
2006 Jetta
Okay... the cheapest UPS quote is about $1,000 for a 24"x24"x36" pallet weighing 500 lbs. (my best estimate on the weight as a full drum of water would weigh that much) to Central PA. Alternatively, ABF would charge about $3,000 for same for a haul from Houston to Central PA with a freight class of 250 or about $900 with a freight class of 50 (with liftgate and residential delivery factored in).

Ugh.

Last edited:

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Do a terminal pickup, skip the home delivery!

I recently shipped a boat from Chicago to Boise for $180.00, that was also a terminal pickup. They simply call when it arrives, shipping times are around 3-4 days.

DB

sebring96hbg

TDI
2006 Jetta
Drivbiwire said:
Do a terminal pickup, skip the home delivery!

I recently shipped a boat from Chicago to Boise for $180.00, that was also a terminal pickup. They simply call when it arrives, shipping times are around 3-4 days.

DB

about $700 if class 50 for terminal pick-up. My internet search leads me to believe that 55 gallon drums are treated as class 250 which makes it just under $3K.

This is for a 1400 mile trip. Oh well... eventually, Central PA should see a GTL plant down the road. This fuel certainly has my interest.

sebring96hbg

TDI
2006 Jetta
It is $106 to ship the 15 gallon container to Central PA assuming it weighs 130 lbs. For me, it would cost $13 per gallon.

I am going to call them to see if the results from the ABF calculator and the UPS estimator are right or wrong.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
They're not wrong. It's expensive because it's hazardous material. Shipping a 5 gallon container of this stuff nearly doubles the cost of the fuel.

sebring96hbg

TDI
2006 Jetta
IndigoBlueWagon said:
They're not wrong. It's expensive because it's hazardous material. Shipping a 5 gallon container of this stuff nearly doubles the cost of the fuel.

My first reaction was along the lines of "holy cow!" etc.

Thus, I am looking forward to reading reports from folks who can get this much more reasonably and economically.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Diesel Fuel:
PACKAGING (Size & Description)
TRANSPORT CLASSIFICATION FLAMMABLE LIQUID
U N NUMBER 1202
SUBSTANCE NAME Diesel Fuel
ICAO/IATA/IMDG CLASS 3
SUBSIDIARY RISK --
PACKING GROUP III
ADR CLASS 3
TRANSPORT HAZARD SYMBOL None.
HAZARD IDENT. NUMBER 30
EMERGENCY ACTION CODE 3Z

DB

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Their site has been there for a while. You would think that someone would have brought this to their attention. Either that or they haven't sold any. ;)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I ordered a 15 gallon drum online. Talked to them the following Monday and the shipping charge was more than the fuel. Just over $100 as posted above. I will drive down soon and pick some up myself. I want 4 55 gal drums though. The price is very good if there is a mpg increase.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI

First they build a "GTL" plant using existing Natural gas and coal reformers. Then the "BIOMASS" can be added later to replace the Natural gas and coal reformers. The energy from the Biomass produces 100% of the energy to drive the entire proces. Conversion ratios are currently up around 60% (60% of the input comes out as spec'd fuel) the other 40% (eventually less as efficiency improves and scale increases) is used to power the system. The key is the system does NOT utilize ANY FOOD PRODUCTS nor will it compete with the food supply like "biodiesel" does. The system also produces any fraction of fuel oil, kerosene (Bio-JetA), heavy fuel oil, lubricating oils etc.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Synthetic_Biofuels.pdf
DB
So is this a positive result process? As in you get more energy out of the system then you put in? If so how long before more plants are built and we can tell those towelheads to shove it?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
greenskeeper said:
So is this a positive result process? As in you get more energy out of the system then you put in? If so how long before more plants are built and we can tell those towelheads to shove it?
Yes, 30-40% energy in, 60-70% product out (depending on scale of the plant).

DB

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Called this morning and freighting 4 drums to KY would be $450. That makes the cost $6 per gallon. I imagine by the time that diesel fuel goes up $2 more, you couldn't get that stuff for $6 anyway. It's a wash unless you live in Houston. If I were there, I'd pick up several drums of it.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah tell me about it. At $4/gal, I'd have stocked up on it. Put it on a credit card and called it a year.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Headed To Houston Tomorrow (Supra Meet) , Does anyone know If I can buy some GTl "by the Gallon" there? I'd like to try it out and see what MPG I get, if it's great I can run over and pick up a drum (200 Miles each way).

retmil46

TDI
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD, 87 MB 300D Turbo
dhdenney said:
Called this morning and freighting 4 drums to KY would be $450. That makes the cost $6 per gallon. I imagine by the time that diesel fuel goes up $2 more, you couldn't get that stuff for $6 anyway. It's a wash unless you live in Houston. If I were there, I'd pick up several drums of it.
Yep, got the same quote for shipping 4 drums to NC - $450. They said shipping 2 or 3 drums would be less total shipping, but more expensive per drum - probably still talking $150 - $200 for even a single drum.

As far as ordering 2 or more drums for a price discount - 2 to 12 drums, they drop the price to $207 - a whopping $18 per drum.

Perhaps next Christmas when I travel down to the Austin/SA area to visit friends, I might consider making a detour thru Houston on the way back with a U-Haul trailer behind the Jeep and pick some up. That would certainly take care of my fuel requirements for the trip home.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd like to see this stuff everywhere. If I could drive a couple hours and get it then it would be good enough.

Blinder

TDI
2006 Jetta
I checked their site out, but can't find any real specifics on the fuel as far as its origin is concerned. They sell Shell fuel, does anyone know if this is the Shell GTL or someone else's? Also what the base may be ("mined" natural gas, coal, biomass/landfill)??

Hopefully this sort of thing will become a bit more widespread... at least if it performs well and doesn't kill engines early O_O

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have done a web search several times for it and I can't really find any distribution other than Houston. Everything I turn up is informative sites, not anyone selling it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My hitch is being installed Monday. I am actively looking for a trailer as well. I should be able to drive down there and get two drums in a week or so. I am in Austin so about a 350 mile round trip. I don't want to use a truck as the cost would be greater than using the jetta and trailer.

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
dhdenney said:
I have done a web search several times for it and I can't really find any distribution other than Houston. Everything I turn up is informative sites, not anyone selling it.
There's supposedly a Shell station in Kahli that's test marketing it.

Do you think it would be good PR for me to drive cross country to get some? :D Maybe they'd think to market some in the monkey house of activists that I call home.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Variant TDI said:

Do you think it would be good PR for me to drive cross country to get some? :D Maybe they'd think to market some in the monkey house of activists that I call home.
You know what, that's a HELL of an idea!

How many would like to take a road trip and get some local or even national PR for a future fuel?

The premis would be that the GTL lays the ground work for Bio-GTL which would be a truly sustainable energy resource for the US which relies on non-food by-products of the agricultural industry.

We could publish our fuel economy on the drive and lay it out in terms of cost per mile for the idiot "Joe Public" that can't add or subtract. Perhpas VW could even send a new CR TDI along with a new Bluetec from Mercedes?

The key to all this is showing that the "alternative Fuel Powerplant" exists today, this alternative fuel permits the transition from non-renewable to 100% renewable fuels.

I'm looking for an excuse to take the CDI on a road trip...can't you tell?

DB

RobbieTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 GOLF TDI 5sp, '01 Jetta TDI 5sp, '05.5 Jetta TDI DSG
Variant TDI said:

Where in cali is this shell station?

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
From exploringcleanerfuels.com

"Where can I buy GTL diesel?
GTL diesel is not generally available at stations in the U.S. However, Chevron is conducting a demonstration program at a retail station in Sacramento where a blend of GTL diesel and Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel is being sold. You can visit the station yourself at 201 Richards Blvd., Sacramento, California."

Only 2720 miles from me.
Maybe if I was single...

Last edited:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
I wrote Shell and ask if there was a way to locate dealers nationwide - if I get it I will post or make avail by email.

Just think fuel that needs 0 thats 0 additives. They say it cleans so well, the Cetane so high combustion is clean. The lubricity - I would think would be excellent. That alone is worth 20 cents per gallon over ULSD.

I just called 4 stations - 1 In Sebring - 1 in Lake Placid 3 in Vero beach - no GTL yet. Sebring said call back they are putting all new pumps and tanks. Its one place you would think that Shell would seel it. The race is there. :) 50 miles from me.

Last edited: