Advice: Buying a TDI now?

tdiono

TDI
MK6
is it ideal to purchase a TDI right now? prices have dropped quite a bit and im looking to get into a MK6 TDI

the one im looking at specifically is 4dr DSG with 65k miles for $11000, all stock.

coming from a MKV GTI FSI

would it be a great opportunity to take advantage of the situation and pay a bit less now or would prices keep dropping?

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
You did not say what year. If this is a 2010 or 2011 that price is OK but
not great. If $11,000 is for a 2012, 2013 or 2014, in excellent shape with
records, buy it. Will prices drop? Who knows if the new TDI's never come,
and all the old ones are grandfathered, they could skyrocket in value!

Go for it.... there is no reason to by shy. You are buying into a bit of an
unknown. You are too late for the last VW Goodwill Package (bonus bucks
of $500 cash and $500 at VW dealer).... There may be more deals to
owners. If you live in California, NY or places that have strict emissions
control I would think long before buying a TDI.

You've owned a VW you know the deal, the VW dealers, company and the
car it self (any model) can be frustrating but they are nice to drive.. The
TDI's handle great have tons of torque and have this weird ability to drive
weeks and weeks and weeks between fill-ups.

Buying used cars all the typical advice applies. Have a pre purchase and
look at it top to underneath. Records are great... at 65K it is due for a
somewhat expensive 80K service which is oil change engine and DSG,
plus oil filter. The DSG can be a DIY job if you are so inclined ($120 in
fluid and filters), but the cost by dealer for DSG can be $300-$450.
So with all the other 80K service I can see it being $600-$1000...
I don't know for sure, it varies widely. I do all my own routine
maintenance. You also may be ready for brake fluid flush, $100-$120...
Again most if all of it can be done by owner. The first three are the
big items are:

-Engine Oil Filter Change (parts $50)
-DSG Oil Filter Change (parts $120)
-Fuel Filter Change (parts $30)
-Cabin Pollen filter Change (parts $12-$20)
-Long List of Checks (Battery, Brakes...)

You can do the 80K for about $250 in parts.

Last edited:

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I'd buy one now. As noted, you didn't state the year so it's hard to say whether I would buy the one you found.

tdiono

TDI
MK6
i forgot to mention, it is a 2011, Golf TDI 4dr DSG in white

ive looked at the year differences but didnt see much change other then some of the new tech, is there a specific reason the 2012+ are much better? should i only be looking at 2012 or newer?

i do all my maintenance myself and is aware of the TDI maintenance schedule.

newyorktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Price wise, great time to get one. But IMO there's too much uncertainty. Buy a car and then VW turns around and buys it back? Or worse, by a car and spend $ on maintenance just got VW to tell you they can't get it compliant and does a buy back?

Idahoser

TDI
2012 Sportwagen
I just bought one, but I'm new so don't take advice from me.
The maint has been kept up according to the dealer's records. I'm going to have them do the 80k service so that they will be on the hook for the DPF if it needs it, then I'll do my own after that. Once they have a "fix" for the best feature (cheating the gov't... too cool) they'll never get their hands on it again.

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
I'd wait to see how they treat us current owners. I'd say it's a very sketchy time to invest in a TDI of any year until this is resolved.

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 BRM 5-Speed, 2013 Golf TDI 6-Speed, 2011 Golf TDI 6-Speed
I just bought one, but I'm new so don't take advice from me.
The maint has been kept up according to the dealer's records. I'm going to have them do the 80k service so that they will be on the hook for the DPF if it needs it, then I'll do my own after that. Once they have a "fix" for the best feature (cheating the gov't... too cool) they'll never get their hands on it again.
I'm just curious, but what is so cool about the EPA emission scandal.
I'm tuned and piped before you go thinking I'm really upset about the whole thing, and I live in a state that doesn't test anyways.

Though I'm curious because I see you in a few threads boasting that's the only reason you were interested in the car. Is it for the feeling of being a rebel?

It's more than just cheating the government, it's lying and terrible practices as a business, just look at the stock. I am, because I'm debating on when to invest.

engineered2win

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
I don't think these cars will ever recoup the value they lost due to the dieselgate scandal; they have a taint now that will never be washed off. I've been tracking my estimated trade-in value since August and it has leveled out at the bottom (roughly $6800 currently for a full loaded 2011 2dr 6MT with 95k miles). If you really want to jump into the pool of uncertainty with the rest of us, now would be the time to buy. I don't think you will lose much more at this point; the steep depreciation hit has already happened. If we do end up getting a buyback, I expect the offer to be well above fair market value, so you shouldn't lose any money on it. Either they will buy back our Gen 1's, somehow the EPA/CARB will grandfather them in and VW will pay us for the depreciation they inflicted, or somehow fix the cars and pay us for the depreciation.

Last edited:

Idahoser

TDI
2012 Sportwagen
I'm just curious, but what is so cool about the EPA emission scandal.
I'm tuned and piped before you go thinking I'm really upset about the whole thing, and I live in a state that doesn't test anyways.
Though I'm curious because I see you in a few threads boasting that's the only reason you were interested in the car. Is it for the feeling of being a rebel?
It's more than just cheating the government, it's lying and terrible practices as a business, just look at the stock. I am, because I'm debating on when to invest.
hey, it's your house, I'll stay out of it. As an outsider i saw it as good for the owner, as long as you weren't a Warmist.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
As some have said a good time to gets deal with some unknown, if your in a testing area you will have to get the fix when they come up w one ( if they come up w one) and no one knows how that will effect the MPG or power in your car, if your in a no test area your in safer waters.

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
I'm curious...thinking about jumping from my 96 Passat wagon to a 2013 Jetta wagon... $10K don't sound bad but it's got mega miles for only 3 years old...like 150K..

but not sure where the market is headed...down further for late model TDIs? is VW gonna pull the plug on all new TDIs? Are they even selling new TDIs right now?

lilredjetdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2003, Tornado Red
we have two, '10 and '12 with all the goodies. Wish I had the money, would definitely buy another one. There will never be any other Golf TDi like the MKVIs.... :)

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
have no recalls or mandates ECM fixes been done for the "dieselgate" cars yet? I couldn't find any definitive answers on the web...I know it's gotta be coming...so If I bought one now I'm gonna get screwed somehow later???

PoliPino

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
have no recalls or mandates ECM fixes been done for the "dieselgate" cars yet? I couldn't find any definitive answers on the web...I know it's gotta be coming...so If I bought one now I'm gonna get screwed somehow later???
No fixes approved yet for the US. From what I've heard the government is giving VW until the end of March. What happens after that is anyone's guess.

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
I'm curious...thinking about jumping from my 96 Passat wagon to a 2013 Jetta wagon... $10K don't sound bad but it's got mega miles for only 3 years old...like 150K..

but not sure where the market is headed...down further for late model TDIs? is VW gonna pull the plug on all new TDIs? Are they even selling new TDIs right now?
EPA has revoked the certificate of compliance for the '15s (known to be a "cheat" year), and is witholding the CoC for the '16s, until VW comes up with a plan which they and CARB approve for dealing with ALL the "cheat" cars. No new TDIs are being sold.

Is there something wrong with your B4V that you need to replace it now? I ask because the '13 is one of the first generation (i.e. no SCR) CR cars, which will be the hardest to bring into compliance and therefore most likely to be bought back. I can guarantee that your B4V will NOT be subject to a mandatory (as in EPA ordering state DMVs to not renew registrations, in order to force people to take them off the road) buyback for less than you paid for it, within a few months of you buying it.

If your B4V is still in decent shape, I'd advise waiting for the outcome of dieselgate before making a decision.

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
Nothing wrong with my B4V...it's just I can across a 13 Jetta wagon locally for 10K...that's pretty cheap for a 3 yr old car...especially a TDI wagon...but the miles are up there...

My biggest concern is the HPFP issue I've noticed on the forum here...way too many miles on the car already for VW to even think about covering it, even under "good will"

But it is the chance to jump forward almost 20 years newer for a seemingly good price...pending what happens with dieselgate...can they force you to agree to a buy back or force you to "re-flash" the ECM?

I know nothing about the newer TDIs...so SCR or CR (common rail?) is new terms to me. My 96 TDI is still new technology to me (used to old Benz and Rabbits)

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Buy smart. Buy a Honda or ? as in the long run going to cost you less, more for gas yes, but repairs much less. The TDI's are too pricey with all the emissions on them. In fact more emissions on diesels now then gassers.
Cat $ 2500, DPF the same, timing belt kit 300-500 and the exhaust flap 2-3 hundred, and don't forget you got the labor too. Something always going on them.
You mite be getting for cheap price but you will pay later.
I have had 3 TDI's 2001, 2006 and 2010 and nothing but money pits.
The best diesel was the 2001 with the ALH engine in it with the least amount of emissions.
With all the things wrong with them out here on this site should tell you something about them.
Maybe I am wrong. It is my option will my 3 cars I have had and what I read out here, they are nothing but problems and very costly, out weighting the fuel savings.
The money I am saving on fuel goes for repairs so no advantage and don't forget the time down for repairs, they are not worth it.
I really can't see myself ever buying another TDI and in fact any VW.
It's your money, hope you got lots.
Each their own

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'll keep buying them because I refuse to drive something I cannot stand to drive.

That said, my Volkswagens have never been very troublesome and their longevity makes a lot of other vehicles look silly.

I work on a lot of different cars here at the shop, they all have issues. Some more than others, and certainly the newer (commonrail) diesels can be fragile due to the complex emissions system no doubt. Volkswagen may even be a bit worse in this regard, but admittedly there is not much here to compare to.

The vast majority of TDIs, though, including the CR cars, just come through our shop for normal scheduled PM and they are very good cars and their owners love them. But as I have always said, if you have an older one that is in good order, you should keep it and take good care of it, as it will most certainly be less costly in the long run to operate. The same can be said of a lot of other cars, too, though. I nice, cherry, 2000 Camry, 2.2L or 3.0L, is going to statistically be a better car than a 2010 Camry. It is a better screwed together car, with a better (tougher, simpler) engine, and a better transmission. You can say the same thing about an Accord.

Keep in mind, this is from a guy who does not live deep in the rust belt. Rust belt cars probably would have a hard time lasting that long period because they'll just dissolve away. The only vehicles we see here that really rust "bad" are Nissans, Subarus (of course), and many GM/Ford/ChryCo vehicles. Volkswagens hold up remarkably well. The bottom side of my 16 year old Golf, heck even my 25 year old Jetta, look better than a lot of 10 year old Altimas I see. Some of those have holes in the floorboards you could literally poke your head through.

Last edited:

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
My understanding is, they are selling 2016 TDI'S. You have to sign a vavier stating you will return when they are ready to update them and it is required and till then and one can not be able to take any action against them.
The 09's up to ? Will be getting a DEF system installed in them, to make them meet emissions.
I stand corrected if I am wrong.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
...Or two or three.
You should see my yard... if I get any more Beetles it is going to look like someone spilled a bag of Skittles on the Google Earth shot of my property. :D

I did sell one (a 2003 Jetta) last night. So I have one less car anyways.

I have two stored in our barn, I really hope the steps I have taken to keep the mice away from them is working.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
The 09's up to ? Will be getting a DEF system installed in them, to make them meet emissions.
What's your source for this? Or are you just speculating like everyone else who's talking about what "will" happen?

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
I just picked up a very well cared for 2011 JSW DSG for $9,400. Everyone who looks at it thinks it is brand new. I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake selling my 2002.

andykurz

TDI
shopping
Same here, I just rolled the dice. Picked up a 97k '10 JSW 6sp for $8500 in great condition. I couldn't pass it up, we'll see if it was a mistake!

I got rid of a 200k+ beat up MKIV gas sedan, so in that sense, I'm really pleased with the upgrade!

Deals are very tempting now on used ones. It's hard to predict the future though!