Intercooler Icing busted wide OPEN!!!

Blackbug1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
I just had this happen and hydro-locked my 2013 TDI Sportwagen 55k . VW is covering the cost of all parts and labor. $11k , Long block has to be replaced, water in the engine block and Oil Pan.

Last year, VW replaced all fuel pumps as bad diesel was to blame $8k . Not sure what to do next, whether to hold out and drive this thing or dump the car and move on.

2013 VW TDI Sportwagen 55K

2006 B9 Tribeca 217K
Just what I am talking about how can VW deny to pay for this kit for some people, charge some a percent to install the kit, pay for the kit for others out of warranty and pay for a total new long block and kit for others, nothing against you. I feel VW should pay for all problems related intercooler icing and should come up with a fix that works. VW knows they have a problem and they know the kit does not work. I did my 90 K service yesterday and found a lot of water and some oil in my discharge intercooler hose after it warmed up setting in the garage. Yes I have pics. So I did remove the elbow on the filter box and covered the lower grill with the pipe insulation like oilhammer suggested. I do have the latest greatest kit installed since 1-28-15 and had a hydorlock 1-11-16. News channel 4 said they are very interested in this story. I was also told to keep them updated, on what VW does after VW corporate said, if I provide them with my Vin# that they would see about sending somebody out. I would like to know how many cars have loss power, stalled on the road, or ingested ice/water which caused catastrophic damage to the motor? I know I have seen others post here, that it had happened to them. And not just the no start like VW says is the only thing that can happen.

2whluge

TDI
2011 JSW
As someone who lurks here more than posts, could someone tell me if there is some way to avoid this? I live in IA, commute 120 miles RT to MN each day in cold weather. I have a grille cover and a garage overnight, but it sits exposed in a parking lot during the day. Am I cooked?

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
As someone who lurks here more than posts, could someone tell me if there is some way to avoid this? I live in IA, commute 120 miles RT to MN each day in cold weather. I have a grille cover and a garage overnight, but it sits exposed in a parking lot during the day. Am I cooked?
I take it you have not had any intercooler icing/water issues?

I would keep doing what you are doing, keep the grille blocked and give the car a few hard accelerations during your commute.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

If you have not had any problems yet, you are *probably* OK with what you are currently doing. However, see my earlier post where I listed the steps you can take.

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Just what I am talking about how can VW deny to pay for this kit for some people, charge some a percent to install the kit, pay for the kit for others out of warranty and pay for a total new long block and kit for others, nothing against you. I feel VW should pay for all problems related intercooler icing and should come up with a fix that works. VW knows they have a problem and they know the kit does not work. I did my 90 K service yesterday and found a lot of water and some oil in my discharge intercooler hose after it warmed up setting in the garage. Yes I have pics. So I did remove the elbow on the filter box and covered the lower grill with the pipe insulation like oilhammer suggested. I do have the latest greatest kit installed since 1-28-15 and had a hydorlock 1-11-16. News channel 4 said they are very interested in this story. I was also told to keep them updated, on what VW does after VW corporate said, if I provide them with my Vin# that they would see about sending somebody out. I would like to know how many cars have loss power, stalled on the road, or ingested ice/water which caused catastrophic damage to the motor? I know I have seen others post here, that it had happened to them. And not just the no start like VW says is the only thing that can happen.

Take a look at this:

http://tinyurl.com/icyic

Blackbug1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Well I heard from VW corporate yesterday. They said they are going to send out a special tech to the VW dealership to completely go over my car. We shall see. Like I told them I do feel we shouldn't of had to pay for the diagnostic fee or pay fthe 25% of the kit since I reported this problem at 28800 and several times before the warranty was over. They never removed the intercooler discharge hose like I asked them to do, until 599244 miles when they found water in the system. Kit installed 60250s miles. Now lets see if they can figure why I am still having this problem and what they do about it.
I am expecting them to reimburse all money I have spent and fix the problem. They want to see all documentation and emails I have back and forth with VWOA. And boy do I have a lot.

Last edited:

Blackbug1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Update my car spent the last week at the dealers, waiting on parts. They removed the intercooler and all piping and hoses, cleaned sludge build up out. Replaced a valve that they said was not the latest valve for the cold weather intercooler kit and a pressure sensor that measures the pressure in the intake system. Now looks like we will have to wait until next year to see if that has fixed the intercooler icing problem, not going to see the temperatures needed to cause intercooler icing this year now! VW did pay for all service and parts. I am just wondering if I am the only person around Nashville that has had intercooler icing?

TDI57

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Update my car spent the last week at the dealers, waiting on parts. They removed the intercooler and all piping and hoses, cleaned sludge build up out. Replaced a valve that they said was not the latest valve for the cold weather intercooler kit and a pressure sensor that measures the pressure in the intake system. Now looks like we will have to wait until next year to see if that has fixed the intercooler icing problem, not going to see the temperatures needed to cause intercooler icing this year now! VW did pay for all service and parts. I am just wondering if I am the only person around Nashville that has had intercooler icing?
Can you give me more details on the updated valve and pressure sensor? I am having my intercooler update Saturday and want to make sure the latest parts are installed. Do you have a part number for the valve and pressure sensor?

TDI57

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
It is all part of the kit.
Okay, thanks. I will ask if they are installing the latest and greatest. Not that I am 100% sure this is the end all to the icing problems, but it is a step in the right direction, essentially closing off what looks like 2/3 of the intercooler below certain temperatures. In my mind, that is somewhat similar to blocking off part of the grill, which posters here do claim to be successful.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
What is something worth noting is that I have never heard of this happening on the 3.0L V6 TDIs, and those already have a charge air cooler bypass flap in place from the factory. Or at least, it bypasses one of the two coolers.

TDI57

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
What is something worth noting is that I have never heard of this happening on the 3.0L V6 TDIs, and those already have a charge air cooler bypass flap in place from the factory. Or at least, it bypasses one of the two coolers.
Good to know. A little more reassuring. :)

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Well I heard from VW corporate yesterday. They said they are going to send out a special tech to the VW dealership to completely go over my car. We shall see. Like I told them I do feel we shouldn't of had to pay for the diagnostic fee or pay fthe 25% of the kit since I reported this problem at 28800 and several times before the warranty was over. They never removed the intercooler discharge hose like I asked them to do, until 599244 miles when they found water in the system. Kit installed 60250s miles. Now lets see if they can figure why I am still having this problem and what they do about it.
I am expecting them to reimburse all money I have spent and fix the problem. They want to see all documentation and emails I have back and forth with VWOA. And boy do I have a lot.

I do have to chuckle....Send out a "special tech"? LOL, they know what the problem is.

Blackbug1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Can you give me more details on the updated valve and pressure sensor? I am having my intercooler update Saturday and want to make sure the latest parts are installed. Do you have a part number for the valve and pressure sensor?
Sorry for the slow reply, we were mudding and taping our daughters house yesterday and it was a late night.
oilhammer is right. These are included in the kit. The tech manager that worked on my car did say that even tho I had the latest greatest kit, they had revised the valve in the kit. To my understanding the valve opens up at a warmer temperature then the valve that came with my kit. I would think all new kits come with the revised valve. Also the only reason they had to replace the pressure sensor on my car was because it was plugged with sludge and moisture and was not operating correctly. No I do not have any part numbers sorry.

Blackbug1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
I do have to chuckle....Send out a "special tech"? LOL, they know what the problem is.
To be honest it was a tech manager, I talked to him before any work was done on my car. I think they were hoping to find something else wrong with my car but it was intercooler icing. This guy had a 3 state area he took care of. He really knew his stuff. He knew more about intercooler icing then anybody I have talked to at VW about it. You would be surprised at how many dealers have no clue about it. The dealer I took my car to at 28K, 32K and 59K. Even told VWOA they could not duplicate my problem, he told them they let the car set outside all night in 19 degree temps and the car started fine. LOL you and I know that can not cause IC icing. Once I got them to remove the discharge intercooler hose they found the sludge and moisture and it was diagnosted with IC icing, but they told me that there was no such thing as a cold weather intercooler icing kit. And that I would have to replace all hoses and piping at a cost to me of around 800 dollars. So I knew right then and there they were not working on my car. Took it to another dealer who ordered and installed the kit. We now have 93K on the car, and had another hydrolock this winter with the kit installed.

Last edited:

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
I wish I could get a hold of a tech manager, to slap around my local dealer. Friggin people are worthless.