Trailer Wiring – DIY – without tapping wires! (55 pic’s)

Tekd85

TDI
mk6 golf
I will never tow with my tdi...however ..a big thanks for this great write up...thanks for putting in the time ..much appreciated

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
I will never tow with my tdi...however ..a big thanks for this great write up...thanks for putting in the time ..much appreciated
Thanks Tekd85! I don't tow too much but living in the country there is always something to buy where my trailer comes in very handy. :) Whether it was building my new firewood storage shed, or picking up bulk woodchips or compost, a trailer is the only easy way...

Netdewt

TDI
mkv jsw tdi dsg
Ok guys, looks like Tow Ready did exactly what VW_leadfoot did and finally made this a kit. The part number is 118572. The cheapest I found it is here: http://redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=118572

Their instructions suggest pulling the wire under the vehicle, but I like VW_leadfoots going through the firewall to keep the wiring safe. Enjoy!
So, this wiring kit has the VW plugs so I wouldn't have to splice wires? I am really uneasy about doing that. I have the CURT 56146 right now, but I will get rid of it and get another one if I don't have to splice wires. I have a 2009 JSW. I got the CURT tow bar installed tonight.

Also, others have asked, but I don't see an answer - can I use the 12V outlet for power in the back of the car? Why do I need to run a wire all the way to the battery?

jasong70

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
You can use the lighter outlet in the back. Keep in mind it is powered off when the key isn't in the ignition. I did it this way and the only thing to keep in mind is that if you need to park on the side of the road with the 4 ways, you need to leave the car on or the key in the accessory position. It does save allot of headaches.

I also have the curt box and my running lights are not working any more. My left signal is flaky. These things are crap.

So, this wiring kit has the VW plugs so I wouldn't have to splice wires? I am really uneasy about doing that. I have the CURT 56146 right now, but I will get rid of it and get another one if I don't have to splice wires. I have a 2009 JSW. I got the CURT tow bar installed tonight.

Also, others have asked, but I don't see an answer - can I use the 12V outlet for power in the back of the car? Why do I need to run a wire all the way to the battery?

Netdewt

TDI
mkv jsw tdi dsg
Shoot. I don't want to install this one then. Are any of them better? Do you think the Tow Ready T one linked above will work for my 2009?

Netdewt

TDI
mkv jsw tdi dsg
I'm going to stick with the CURT box, but use vw-leadfoots wiring strategy. I already have it and I can switch it out.

When I use the 12V cigarette connector in the back of the car, should I connect the "ground" to the battery - (and the power to the +)?

jasong70

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
If I remember correctly, there is a chassis ground lug behind the trunk liner on the passenger side. I didn't run the wiring forward at all. Worse case, find a bolt and use a ring connector on it.

The other way to save the curt box is to wire in a switch on the positive red wire. Keep it off unless you are towing. The powered down box should last longer...

Of, and don't use the scotch locks (little blue crimps) on your taillight wires. Google twist-lock connectors. I wish I used those when I did it because removing scotch locks is nearly impossible without damaging the wire.

I'm going to stick with the CURT box, but use vw-leadfoots wiring strategy. I already have it and I can switch it out.

When I use the 12V cigarette connector in the back of the car, should I connect the "ground" to the battery - (and the power to the +)?

Netdewt

TDI
mkv jsw tdi dsg
If I remember correctly, there is a chassis ground lug behind the trunk liner on the passenger side. I didn't run the wiring forward at all. Worse case, find a bolt and use a ring connector on it.

The other way to save the curt box is to wire in a switch on the positive red wire. Keep it off unless you are towing. The powered down box should last longer...

Of, and don't use the scotch locks (little blue crimps) on your taillight wires. Google twist-lock connectors. I wish I used those when I did it because removing scotch locks is nearly impossible without damaging the wire.
If i run to a 12V cigarette/accessory plug, I don't need to ground to the chassis, though, right?

The 12V plug I got from Radioshack has a switch, and I can unplug it.

I can't figure out what those twist-lock connectors are. Google brings up 120VAC plugs.

jasong70

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Yes - you're right. I understand you are using an actual plug. I connected to the wires behind the socket....yes, if you are using a male cig lighter plug, no need to chassis ground or use a switch. Just unplug it.

If i run to a 12V cigarette/accessory plug, I don't need to ground to the chassis, though, right?

The 12V plug I got from Radioshack has a switch, and I can unplug it.

I can't figure out what those twist-lock connectors are. Google brings up 120VAC plugs.

tdi hunter

TDI
2013 sportwagon
The tow-ready kit above is for a jetta sedan are the plugs the same for the sportwagen?

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Ok guys, looks like Tow Ready did exactly what VW_leadfoot did and finally made this a kit. The part number is 118572. The cheapest I found it is here: http://redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=118572

Their instructions suggest pulling the wire under the vehicle, but I like VW_leadfoots going through the firewall to keep the wiring safe. Enjoy!
The tow-ready kit above is for a jetta sedan are the plugs the same for the sportwagen?
Curious as well. For $70 it's tough to beat.

85YotaMan

TDI
2011 JSW Manual - 99 Cummins! - 98 Beetle 5 speed (sold)
Curious as well. For $70 it's tough to beat.
I ordered this 2 weeks ago the moment I saw this thread... Went to install it tonight and the plugs are WRONG! :mad:

SUPER BUMMED OUT RIGHT NOW.... :/

I'm leaving for a three day camping trip towing our "new" tent trailer on Friday morning, now I have to hurry up and make this work! grrrrrr. I figured the plugs would be the same... lol. :(

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
I ordered this 2 weeks ago the moment I saw this thread... Went to install it tonight and the plugs are WRONG! :mad:
SUPER BUMMED OUT RIGHT NOW.... :/
I'm leaving for a three day camping trip towing our "new" tent trailer on Friday morning, now I have to hurry up and make this work! grrrrrr. I figured the plugs would be the same... lol. :(

Good to know!

panzer

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf 2Dr, 6M, & Sunroof
The Tow Ready T-one connector looks great if you have a Jetta. If you look on their site there is not a set for the Mk6 Golf or JSW (golf variant). I asked Tow Ready and they only have one for the '11-'13 Jetta. I'm still hoping they offer one.

benwah

TDI
2012 JSW CJAA
Any chance the OP wants to start manufacturing these???

I'd buy one (and I'm sure others would, too).

Also, since there isn't a specific T-One or other "plug and play" converter for the '10+ JSWs, will any of the "generic" 3 to 2 wire powered converters work?

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
Any chance the OP wants to start manufacturing these???
I'd buy one (and I'm sure others would, too).
Also, since there isn't a specific T-One or other "plug and play" converter for the '10+ JSWs, will any of the "generic" 3 to 2 wire powered converters work?
No, not really... I can't imagine it would be cost effective...$125+ in parts, my time to get the parts and build it would be a min of 2-3 hours and then shipping it...it would end up costing you about $300...I would say the hardest part is shopping for all of the pieces but at least I know where to get them :)

As for where my focus plans to be...I have a new 2014 project/hobby/midlife crisis vehicle coming in soon so my time will be spent modding and tinkering with it...

As for the generic converters, I would not know...I would stick with the unit that has been specified for the vehicle which is what I did...

Last edited:

benwah

TDI
2012 JSW CJAA
After hemming and hawing, I'm going with the Curt 56146, and just going to splice - but with Posi-Taps (I've used these before, and far superior to those damn ScotchLoks). They're the closest thing to "removable" without truly being plug and play.

One question, though - all the trouble you've gone to, to create a clean, tight look, why didn't you install a new circuit in the fusebox instead of wiring direct to battery? I'm planning on putting in an always on (vs. keyed on) 10A circuit.

vw.shortbeach

TDI
VW Jetta Sportswagen 2009
trailer hitch wiring harness

Hello Leadfoot,
would it not have been possible to wire into the fusebox rather than go through the firewall and directly to the battery? what would the downside be?
Thanks

Jim

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
... why didn't you install a new circuit in the fusebox instead of wiring direct to battery? I'm planning on putting in an always on (vs. keyed on) 10A circuit.
Since the module's instructions stated to wire directly to the battery.

Hello Leadfoot,
would it not have been possible to wire into the fusebox rather than go through the firewall and directly to the battery? what would the downside be?
Possibly...I am not a wiring expert but just followed what the module wants which is direct power...if that can be done through the fuse box somehow then I say go for it!

benwah

TDI
2012 JSW CJAA
Just an update, I did my trailer wiring this past weekend, using 000 979 227 (2.5mm or ~13 ga.) wire to add a new circuit to my fusebox. I spliced it to 12 ga. primary wire using Posi-lock butt connector.

The hardest part of the install was getting all the trim out of the car to run the power wire. I broke a lot of clips in the trunk area, trying to remove trim pieces that ended up not needing to be removed. Me not owning the Bentley manual, I'm not sure if I would've done a better / more efficient job if I did own it. For all the write ups here, there aren't very clear ones on these type of details, and since it took me about 6 hours 'til it was all said and done, I didn't take photos for a good write up, either. So I guess I dropped the ball there.

The Posi-tap connectors to "splice" into the vehicle wiring worked, but I can't believe how fine gauge the VW tail light wires are!

All put back together, when I started the car, I got a "FAULT - STABILIZATION CONTROL (ESC)" warning, and the steering wheel, tire, and swirvy car light were lit up on the instrument cluster. But as soon as I started driving (literally less than 10 ft.) they all went off, and a code scan at AutoZone revealed NO fault codes.

Two days later, I had the opportunity to tow my Uncle's utility trailer to move two upright freezers (one at a time), and some stumps we pulled from the yard. The wiring was done correctly; running lights, turn signals, and brake lights all functioned as needed. The family truckster did very well towing - I barely "felt" the trailer, but I was overly cautious (mainly because of the tall aspect of the freezers - we needed to use them immediately, so couldn't lay them down).

So there's my experience for the record.

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI/ 2005 GTI 1.8BT
So just bought the westifalia eurohitch for my 2012 JSW and going to install it hopefully this weekend! I purchased all the vw parts I needed that was in this list for electrical supplies and all other stuff I have in my garage. Did anyone come up with a plug and play solution or how to use with the 12v plug? Is it safe to run the trailer lights off the 12v or better to run to the battery? If I have to run it to the battery no worries just would be way easier to use the 12v outlet that's right there. And if running the 12v what's the wiring difference compared to running to battery? Sorry for all the questions I am mechanically Savy but not electricly haha!

Thanks
Justin

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Have you looked into the OEM kits from Westfalia?
They are pretty pricey and the plug will have to be changed from the Euro 13 pin to the 7 pin US.

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/jetta-13-pin-dedicated-wiring-kit-aug-2005.html

This setup as I understand it will turn on the T-ESP for towing and when VCDS selected for North Anerica will take care of the brake/turn signal interconnection and give the connection into the VW fuse block etc. All plug and play. (except for changing the trailer socket)
A wire will have to be brought from the brake light in the rear to the front for the electric brake if you add it and the brake line from the controller also run at this time.
The only connection that has to be added would be the circuit breaker and power for the brake controller.

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI/ 2005 GTI 1.8BT
Thanks man and yes I saw that plug and play setup it's just too much money and then like you said have to get the 13 pin x 4 plug for the U.S. trailers. Thanks for the input though greatly appreciate it!

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I would buy a combo 4 and 7 pin US plug and replace the 13 pin plug entirely with it.

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/37175.html

The wiring kit is pretty pricey, but by the time you are through with the other kits you will have spent some money and still don't have the electronic tie in and the advantages of T-ESP and the changes to the cooling and power and hill holding etc that the OEM system gives you.
I have not yet bought one for my JSW but I plan to when I have the time and money. Currently I have a converter spliced into the brake and other lights to convert from the eruo scheme to the US. It works, but I think the added safety and modified power curves etc would be worth the time and expense.
Right now I am rebuilding my trailer for heavier retirement use.