CarStyle4You Switch Installation

bfalke1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI, Tech Package, 6MT, 4 door - SOLD
I know this is old, but I just stumbled across it. I think security is a bigger concern if you have an attached garage, detached - who cares... my door to my garage is also never locked.

I just ordered a homelink off of ebay (out of a wreck), planning to try to do something very similar - and try to find a spot for the extra LED required to program it, this makes me think I should have just done a single garage remote, as you can open it up and re-code most of them manually if you move.

Where did you buy the switches? I know where the covers are from, but when I looked for switches the only thing I can find is what is on OEMPlus, and they are all listed as being for a MK5 Golf, which had only 4 button slots... so curious if these are the same size as the Mk6's 5 button slots.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
not for nothing, but the available amperage in the voltage source has nothing to do with how much a load will draw, if this was true every time you plug a nightlight into a 15 amp wall socket it would let out the smoke. fuses are merely a protection device, in the event of a malfunction they limit the amount of current available to cause collateral damage. (fires) the smoke came out of your garage door opener for another reason, like reversed polarity, or too much / too little voltage.

numl0ck

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
bfalke1,
OP here. Looking back at the CarStyles4You site it looks like they have changed a few things over the years. You have always had the ability to buy just the cover or a switch from them. When you click to get details (ie...http://carstyle4you.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_22_33_47&products_id=305) before you add it to your cart you can select if you choose between the "Cover", "Switch", or "Pushbutton", the latter two being additional costs.

For a garage door opener you want the "Switch" option.

BTW: I still have this mod and am very happy with it. Good luck!

bfalke1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI, Tech Package, 6MT, 4 door - SOLD
For a garage door opener you want the "Switch" option.

BTW: I still have this mod and am very happy with it. Good luck!
Thanks, good to know! I had not gone so far as putting anything in my cart as I don't know what's will find when I gut the homelink (hence I don't know if I will need 3 switches or just one). Nice to know what to order though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hymato

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta TDI(buyback) Now 2005.5 Jetta tdi
Can the actual cover for the switch be removed to be replaced with a custom one?

Rustydog

TDI
2014 JSW TDI
Greeting group; Newbie here. So I bring a post back from the dead for my first post.
I want to add this garage door switch from CarStyle4You and do the tap into remote mod.
Can anyone tell me if this switch/cover is compatible with a 2014 JSW? Yeah I know this seems like a Q for CarStyle, but since they are in Europe I wasn't sure if they are familiar with the US version. Thank you.

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
Well the JSW is in the Golf family I would think so. I am looking at getting some switches for my '14 JSW aswell. I have lots of devices to put in.

Dragoncoach

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 MkV Jetta TDI/ '11 MKVI JSW TDI
I know this is an old thread, buy maybe my post will help someone. I bought a Gentex GENK40. Self dimming mirror with home link built in. You need the VW adapter and a larger set screw and you kill 2 birds with one "install". The cost is around $250-$260. These were 2 non offered VW options I've considered a necessity in my cars. We use both features each and every day. I've installed this in both our TDIs.

Last edited:

tomsyco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 White Golf 2 Door
My apologies for not posting any updates. I have been slammed busy with "life" so I haven't had a chance to dig into it again.

Rick, I plan on tapping power from the ESP button, but I need to know which wires to use. Does anyone have a Bentley and could possibly point me in the right direction? I could also use a multi-meter and turn the lights on and see which pins are active.

Luv_My_TDI, my door opener uses an A23 battery, so no worries about the 12 volts there. But it's most likely only a 1.5 amp circuit, and when we tapped hooked in a 5amp fuse, it blew pretty quickly. Need to figure that one out.

sjjaskow, That's a good idea. I have been wondering about how VW adds the additional buttons for the Euro guys. They might run seperate wires for each switch, rather than daisy chaining them together like I'm trying to do.

Thanks for the sugestions, I wil post more info when I get back to work on it (although, looks like Saturday night at the earliest).
As long as the voltage is the same it will be fine. There is no way the opener uses 1.5 amps. That is the amp hour capacity of the battery maybe. Therefore, the 5 amp fuse would not cause the opener to blow up. If you got smoke, and that opener still works, I somehow doubt that it was the opener that smoked. This setup should be perfectly fine assuming that it does require a 12v battery.

Darv

TDI
2006 Jetta
Power for light?

I have a 2013 with no ESP switch. Already have the garage door button, so where might I look for a power source for the light?

Thanks

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)

ricks

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta Sportwagen
And all I did was clip my garage remote to the driver seat rail, out of sight and in easy reach. Not sexy, not expensive, but it is functional. Good thread though.