Broken Fog Lights...Again!!

TdiBoy99

TDI
2013 Golf TDi
Anyone else have trouble keeping their glass fog lights in one piece?!?

Very frustrating to have glass lenses in a driving light!!

Anyone know where a guy can get some replacement assemblies with acrylic lenses?

Or, my other option would be to buy new OEM assemblies and put that real heavy 3M over them with LED bulbs. Tried this route on my previous Golf and the 3M melted with the heat of the OEM halogen bulb.

Any great ideas out there?!?

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Anyone else have trouble keeping their glass fog lights in one piece?!?

Very frustrating to have glass lenses in a driving light!!

Anyone know where a guy can get some replacement assemblies with acrylic lenses?

Or, my other option would be to buy new OEM assemblies and put that real heavy 3M over them with LED bulbs. Tried this route on my previous Golf and the 3M melted with the heat of the OEM halogen bulb.

Any great ideas out there?!?

I'm with you, the amount of gravel used on our roads is hard on glass. The only decent solution I've figured is the same as you suggest. Replace with OEM (aftermarket glass is more brittle) and add 3M and LEDs.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Lost one the 1st winter in our 2010. Replaced fog and used Lamin-X and it never broke again. Same thing happen in our 2014. Replaced and used Lamin-x in the spring and fingers crossed so far, so good this winter season.

TdiBoy99

TDI
2013 Golf TDi
Thanks for the great info, just checked out Lamin-X website, looks like all pre-cut ready to go. I’m thinking this is certainly the most economical. Are you running OEM halogens with this film? Wondering how heat resistant it is.

Thanks again!

Jasper J

TDI
2015 Toffee Brown Beetle Convertible 6M
Had/Have Lamin-X (yellow) on 2010 Golf and 2014 Ford Explorer stock fog lamps, both halogens, with no heat related issues, and no glass breakage. (Oh great, I just jinxed myself [emoji2955])
Great stuff, reasonably priced and easy to install.
Don’t forget to check Amazon for possible better prices and Prime shipping. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk