Bought a TDI Sportswagen, but hasn't had fix done yet - Questions

Beau168

TDI
jetta 2006 tdi
Hi all,

I just bought a 2011 TDI Sportswagen. I checked the VIN on their website and it is saying the "Fix" has not been done yet.

At the moment I believe the turbo is on it's way out as I am getting a underboost code. Can I get VW to perform the recall in order to get the 4 Year,48000 miles warranty for them to then repair the turbo/EGR System?

Thanks in advance.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Others know more about this than me, but I suspect the car may no longer be eligible for the fix. And even if it is, dealers won't fix a car with a failed emissions component, which includes the turbo. You'd have to replace any faulty components first.

However, don't assume that an underboost code means the turbo is failing. Could be any number of things. You should investigate further before approaching a dealer for a fix.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think the cars are still eligible for the "fix" itself. I don't think they are still eligible for the warranty coverage or the monetary compensation. But I'm not really sure either. Check under the hood for a sticker indicating it was fixed.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
The cutoff date for the buy out has passed. Please post if you are able to turn it in for the fix. Many emmision components are changed in the fix so I wonder if a "failing" turbo would be an issue? My CPO got a new egr flapper and DPS for example, I dont beleive all CPOs got them as standard fix?

I would think EPA wants all TDIs neutered with the fix. Ive wondered how a non fixed TDI would pass in a smog areas? Would non fixed TDIs ultimately hold a different resale, good or bad?

The warrenty for CPO coverage has to be done by a VW dealer and fall within an age and milage limits. It generally added 1 to 2 grand on the price. My 2011 was just within the time limit back in 2/18

Last edited:

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
My understanding is that VW complied with the demands of the settlement and it is over. The required amount of cars were either fixed or taken off the road, law suit satisfied. I doubt VW would spend money fixing one now.

An owner with a car that didn't get fixed is on their own for repairs unless it still had the original factory warranty. The car will have less problems, better performance and fuel economy than the fixed cars. In the long run a non fixed car will more desirable because eventually they all will be out of the extended warranty the dpf problems will still be a frequent and expensive problem

I don't remember the number of states that rejected the settlement but it was only a few or less. The car will pass emissions testing unless there is a failed component sets off a red flag.

Last edited:

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Golf Wagon, 97 Golf Turbo Diesel
non CPO fixed vehicles

.....My CPO got a new egr flapper and DPS for example, I dont beleive all CPOs got them as standard fix?

The warranty for CPO coverage has to be done by a VW dealer and fall within an age and milage limits. It generally added 1 to 2 grand on the price. My 2011 was just within the time limit back in 2/18
Off-topic, but:
In Canada, the 'fix' warranty has nothing to do with the 'CertifiedPreOwned' warranty. I guess it's different in the US?
My 2012 which I just purchased has the 'fix' warranty: the greater of 10 yr or 193k km from the date sold, or 4 yr or 77 k km from the date the 'fix' was done. Basically the powertrain and emissions controls are covered.
CPO is a 'bumper to bumper' warranty here, as I understand it, and much shorter time/distance coverage.
I bought my TDI through a non-VW dealer who had purchased some TDI wagons at the local "Volkswagen auction" - whatever that is.

The paperwork I have indicates that in Canada the time for the buyback or cash payment has expired, but it's not clear whether the (free) emissions fix is still available. It may well be different in the US. It wouldn't hurt for the OP to check with a VW dealer.

Last edited:

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
An owner with a car that didn't get fixed is on their own for repairs
Yes, the VW Canada paperwork indicates that VW won't necessarily be stocking 'original' parts and some repairs could necessitate 'fixing' the emissions system.
The car will pass emissions testing unless there is a failed component sets off a red flag.
Even with the 'fix' the emissions are still above the original 'specs' that VW gave the regulators for certification.
I don't have a lot of faith that regulators won't 'clamp down' on non-'fixed' TDIs. It would just take a small change in the regs to require those 'fix' stickers under the hood to pass emissions testing, or even to allow licensing the car.
We'll probably see a lot of variation in this - on the west coast / PNW /BC the 'excitement' over 'pollution' is probably greater than in other areas.

I intend to keep my TDI until it's worthless, but I think that 'fixed' cars will be easier to re-sell to most (non-enthusiast) people.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Off-topic, but:
In Canada, the 'fix' warranty has nothing to do with the 'CertifiedPreOwned' warranty. I guess it's different in the US?
Nope, same here. Some dealers may have replaced components on cars they bought at auction in order to complete the fix and make them CPO eligible. If an owner brought in a car with a failed EGR or turbo and wanted it fixed, most dealers would charge the owner to replace the failed components before completing the fix. Some dealers were more flexible than others, but that was usually the case, as I understand it.

Beau168

TDI
jetta 2006 tdi
Thanks for all the info guys. For some reason searching VW questions on google doesn't bring much up, unlike other car forums I've been on....

Anyway, I will call VW and see what they say regarding the "fix"

Meanwhile, can anyone shed any light on my problems. I can drive the car but it's defo not boosting. I can limp it to 70mph just fine, but no power getting there. No smoke out the back. I've tested the valve under vacuum and the rod works just fine. Where else should I be looking?

I'm thinking it could be the wastegate?

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
Meanwhile, can anyone shed any light on my problems. I can drive the car but it's defo not boosting. I can limp it to 70mph just fine, but no power getting there. No smoke out the back. I've tested the valve under vacuum and the rod works just fine. Where else should I be looking?

Starting a new thread with an eye-catching title will get more good answers.
Lots of people probably just scan the 'New Posts' list to see if they can help.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Get codes read. Even if you don't have a CEL it will have codes. If you can find someone with VCDS that would be better than a generic reader.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd check the charge piping for loose connections at the intercooler and such. Maybe the boost is leaking out.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Nope, same here. Some dealers may have replaced components on cars they bought at auction in order to complete the fix and make them CPO eligible. If an owner brought in a car with a failed EGR or turbo and wanted it fixed, most dealers would charge the owner to replace the failed components before completing the fix. Some dealers were more flexible than others, but that was usually the case, as I understand it.
This is mostly correct.
My 2011 Jetta had 170k when I took it in to get "fixed". After I pulled the tune the CEL came on (probably because the Malone tune was masking the EGR cooler being clogged). After their (VW Dealer) analysis, they said the EGR Cooler was clogged and wanted $2k from me to fix it before VW would authorize the fix. So, instead I opted for the $13.5k buyback and bought another car.
When I returned to drop off the 2011 Jetta for the buyback the Service manager said VWoA started accepting cars for the fix if it was an emissions related issue (EGR, Cooler, DPF, CAT, turbos, everything listed in the Fixt warranty)
You should probably take it in and see what the stealership tells you. It seems they can go either way. And if you just bought the car from a private party, they may do the court ordered fix but not give you the warranty.

Beau168

TDI
jetta 2006 tdi
Thanks for your comments. I am awaiting my OBD11 reader to come through the post and will see what to do. I have two weeks till the appointment at VW and if it's something simple I'd rather fix it and have VW not question anything. But the likelihood is I'll most likely hand them over the keys with the CEL and see what they say. I can only hope for the best I suppose.

Why is it they may not give the warranty? My understanding was the warranty is with the car and not the owner, even if it gets sold/transferred?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The warranty was part of the court settlement. VW had to fix or buy back a percentage of its affected vehicles, and if owners kept them or when the buyback cars were re-sold, they had to offer a warranty. Since they've met the court requirements for percentage of cars fixed (including buyback cars they're currently selling), they don't have a requirement to offer a warranty to an existing owner with an un-fixed car. In fact, they don't really have any incentive to fix it, either, unless required by the court.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
The warranty was part of the court settlement. VW had to fix or buy back a percentage of its affected vehicles, and if owners kept them or when the buyback cars were re-sold, they had to offer a warranty. Since they've met the court requirements for percentage of cars fixed (including buyback cars they're currently selling), they don't have a requirement to offer a warranty to an existing owner with an un-fixed car. In fact, they don't really have any incentive to fix it, either, unless required by the court.

+1

IIRC, the previous owner would've had to bring the car in for the fix or buyback to get paid. VWoA didn't just hand money out unless the car was fixt. So, with that being said, its strange to find an unfixt car.

VWoA May fix it and they may give the warranty too if the above holds true. But I doubt you can get any funds from them, just the parts, labor, and possible warranty.

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
After the fix deadline I did talk to a person who never heard anything about it so there are some out there that are not fixed.

I had something fixed on my 2013 car post settlement prior to turning it in that they fixed. I know that would have cost me if it had not been for the lawsuit.

On my post fix 2014 they fixed something that surely would have cost me had it not been for the settlement.

I don't think VW will do anything now for the cars that were not turned in or fixed. That said, I liked my first car a lot more than this one.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think VW has to apply the emissions fix if the owner wishes to have it done. The court order applied to all the cars, not just the first 85%. They just would have been penalized for every car under 85%. But it may cost more than the car is worth to have them bring it up to snuff in order to apply the fix. Catch the right dealership on the right day and you might get lucky. The money is definitely off the table now. The post fix warranty may be as well.

Beau168

TDI
jetta 2006 tdi
Well I'm certainly not chasing any money or fighting VW for anything. I had simply called VW to check for recalls and there was two available. The "fix" and the airbag one. They booked me in for couple weeks time and even said I will have a loaner free of charge for two days. So far, it's been pleasant.

The main hurdle will be seeing what they do after I drop the car off. Will they look into the CEL and want that fixed? This is 50/50 from what I've read online. Some people say if it's post warranty parts they'll deal with it. Some say they won't touch it till the CEL is off. And even if they do the "fix", will they give the post warranty, is anyones guess right now.

Worse case scenario, which may also be the best case, is I spend some cash and do the EGR/DPF Delete along with the tune and never have to worry about the emissions system again. Especially when I'm hearing these DPF systems failing within 20k after having a new one put in.

Starting to think the old 1.9tdi I had was worth keeping now.

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
Worse case scenario, which may also be the best case, is I spend some cash and do the EGR/DPF Delete along with the tune and never have to worry about the emissions system again. Especially when I'm hearing these DPF systems failing within 20k after having a new one put in.
In Canada, the 'fix' comes with a good long warranty. If you get the same in the USA, it wouldn't make sense to void it by messing with deletes and tunes- from my point of view.

Beau168

TDI
jetta 2006 tdi
In Canada, the 'fix' comes with a good long warranty. If you get the same in the USA, it wouldn't make sense to void it by messing with deletes and tunes- from my point of view.
If I get the warranty I won't mess with it. But given how late this vehicle is going in for the recall, I don't know if the post warranty fix still applies. I'll surely find out more upon going through with it (fingers crossed).

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
If I get the warranty I won't mess with it. But given how late this vehicle is going in for the recall, I don't know if the post fix warranty still applies. I'll surely find out more upon going through with it (fingers crossed).
Sounds like a smart plan to me. As you say, here's hoping!
Some dealers are excellent...so I hear!
:)

TerryDeirdre

TDI
VW
I don't think you can get a 4-year warranty, at least when I was in your situation, they refused me. Of course, you can try, but there is practically no chance of getting a warranty

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Wanting a free Fix and any warranty or benefits that may come as a result of that fix (other than the long-ago expired cash payout) is like hoping for a free mask and expecting better health and safety as a result of wearing the free mask. :rolleyes:

Other than saving the planet from imminent demise, the only thing the Fix does is make very fragile emissions systems and components more fragile.
Without the court-mandated cash payouts, VW wouldn't have come close to reaching the buyback/fix numbers required in the settlement.

Blame was placed on VW for this scandal, not the owners of the cars, thus the options provided to us all:
1. Buyback + payout.
2. Fix + payout.
3. Keep car as-is and motor on with no payout. (Probably some uncertainty here whether or not these cars would pass emission testing in some states, but I think the settlement addressed that, as well.)

I own 2 "Fixed" vehicles. Money was too much to pass up... I made nice profit. The only time I've used the extended warranty in 90K miles since the
Fix was to repair "fixed" components. :LOL:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Personally, I'd keep it unfixed. Sur erhe warrenty would be nice if you can get it.... But the cars were far better before the fix. Many reasons why underboost could happen. Boost leak is common, but intake needs to be smoked to find it. BUT could be failing. Actuator could be failing. Vanes could not be opening all the way, causing turbo not to boost.
Do you normally drive easily?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Thanks for all the info guys. For some reason searching VW questions on google doesn't bring much up, unlike other car forums I've been on....

Anyway, I will call VW and see what they say regarding the "fix"

Here's a good search engine for the forum I use. https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=018097697432185261444:_idbzjdyxdm

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
He hasn't been here for a couple of years, I'm sure he figured it out.