CR140 Stage 3

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
Do you have a video of your car with the current exhaust. You said you have a small resonator on right now and want to go smaller. What size is it right now and what size are you planning on. Don't know want I want, talked to Wisconsin diesel service and they have a banks exhaust and talked to Les at diesel dubs about an exhaust with a muffler
Here is a quick crappy video I did. Yes I forgot to lay my iPhone flat so its not in landscape, oops. Car is louder with the CR-170 - deeper & whistles more. I'll get used to how it sounds before I go changing the resonator. I think its about a 20" resonator, but its fairly fat around.

Here is the you tube link. http://youtu.be/hADuISC-bNY

steve05ram360 said:
Update? Is it on the road yet?
Yep, well (offroad ;)) We got over a bunch of snow last night so I had to plow work out this morning before I got started working on my own car - but I drove it 35 miles home tonight and it ran perfect!!

Between the turbo being new, and not wanting to cause a problem cause I was tired I drove the car pretty conservatively home. Not only can you tell by the sound that the turbo is changed, but usable power at low RPM's the car pulls harder. Tomorrow on the way to work I will push it a little more. The ECU still has to be sent back out to tune for the turbo - so I could imagine once that's done.

I did do away with the EGR Cooler and the HP EGR (darkside kit) @ the same time. It now has pending codes (obviously) that it does not see the EGR & Cooler anymore - can that be tuned out or am I better off just taking the motors off them and plugging them back in (zip tie out of the way?). Offroad use only of course. :D

** Again, a big thanks to Jfettig for all the info. This truly is a plug and play turbo upgrade. Old one comes out, new one goes on - assemble and poof! Your done! I simply copied what he had done so I appreciate the trial & error on his part. **

Last edited:

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
Nice! How did you prime the turbo? Last one i did on the audi iirc i had to go easy on it for about 500 miles with varied boost levels, were there any recomondations like that?

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Have you tuned it yet, what's with all the smoke, lol, that sucks if you have...

Last edited:

1dieselsteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
Here is a quick crappy video I did. Yes I forgot to lay my iPhone flat so its not in landscape, oops. Car is louder with the CR-170 - deeper & whistles more. I'll get used to how it sounds before I go changing the resonator. I think its about a 20" resonator, but its fairly fat around.

Here is the you tube link. http://youtu.be/hADuISC-bNY
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-12219/overview/

Is this by some chance your resonator

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Since this has turned into a muffler discussion :p

http://amzn.com/B004TRXMFK

That muffler will tame the noise quite a bit, it has perforated cones in it, flows really well and sounds really nice. Fits in the tunnel too.

The CR170 turbo is a little louder, the turbine flows better than the CR140 turbo

Paulinski

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta Wagon Highline
Awesome Jay...Glad to hear the swap was a success.

Did you get updated tune from Mark?

I can't wait to install CR170 in my car this summer...

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
That is the cr170 turbo, it is a direct drop in with full exhaust and deleted egr and dpf, I have it, you can get them used for around $400, or new I believe is $1100...Plus $1000 in exhaust, about $600 in labor, so for a full system with tune, $600 bucks, which you have to do also, your right at about $3000 dollors for say 30hp...:eek: I built my own exhaust did all the install myself, with tune and turbo I'm in at $1000 dollars...

How is the clutch doing?

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
Nice! How did you prime the turbo? Last one i did on the audi iirc i had to go easy on it for about 500 miles with varied boost levels, were there any recomondations like that?
I actually took a plastic syringe from my daughters cough syrup, filled it with fresh oil and squirted it into the turbo oil inlet. I had a small piece of rubber over the oil inlet so it held more oil and let it slowly go into the turbo as I finished up all the other pieces to put the car back together & spun the turbo a few times by hand. Turned the car over a few times before starting it and called it a day.

I have read mixed things about breaking in the turbo, I agree with taking it easy for 500 miles without holding the car to the floor thrashing on it. I've rolled into it a few times, but not really over 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and didn't stay on it. Instructions on the turbo did not state anything about proper break in, just to fill the inlet with oil like I did and to inspect oil feed lines to make sure they are clear.

paulinski said:
Awesome Jay...Glad to hear the swap was a success.

Did you get updated tune from Mark?

I can't wait to install CR170 in my car this summer...
Thanks! Was a long install but no hidden surprises with the whole job.

Mark did not do the tune, I had Rocketchip do my stage 2 tune. He did my last 5 TDI's & had great luck with him. I will be sending my ECU back out to have it tuned for the CR170 turbo.

vwracer said:
Have you tuned it yet, what's with all the smoke, lol, that sucks if you have...
I am stabbing the throttle from an idle with no load, its going to smoke (especially COLD). Guess it sucks "lol". :rolleyes: Has not been re-tuned for the 170 turbo, just a "delete" stage 2 tune - but certainly is not going to take fuel out of a tune for a larger turbo. The car does not "roal coal" like a modified sled puller while driving. First I was "ripped off" for buying the turbo brand new, and now it sucks that it smokes to much. You are an angry fellow!

CrustyOreo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door 6MT
I actually took a plastic syringe from my daughters cough syrup, filled it with fresh oil and squirted it into the turbo oil inlet. I had a small piece of rubber over the oil inlet so it held more oil and let it slowly go into the turbo as I finished up all the other pieces to put the car back together & spun the turbo a few times by hand. Turned the car over a few times before starting it and called it a day.

Did you put the syringe back?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I don't buy the turbo break in theory. I have never heard that. I work with a local tuner/shop and the first thing that they do when they put a turbo on a car is put it on the dyno and tune it, zero miles.

Definitely fill the turbo one way or another with fresh oil. Even if while its out of the car, drip some oil into the fitting, turn the shaft so it sucks it down, refill a couple times. I've used a 1/4" ID hose on an OEM oil inlet fitting - dunked it into a bottle of oil, held the top with my finger, pushed it into the fitting snug and took my finger off, turned the shaft and let it suck it down.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d

I have read mixed things about breaking in the turbo, I agree with taking it easy for 500 miles without holding the car to the floor thrashing on it. I've rolled into it a few times, but not really over 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and didn't stay on it. Instructions on the turbo did not state anything about proper break in, just to fill the inlet with oil like I did and to inspect oil feed lines to make sure they are clear.

I have a cup edition, I'm the happiest guy alive, $1300 for a new turbo when the are used for $300, you got ripped off, and that smoking doesn't happen on my cat that's why I asked if it's tuned,
Thanks! Was a long install but no hidden surprises with the whole job.

Mark did not do the tune, I had Rocketchip do my stage 2 tune. He did my last 5 TDI's & had great luck with him. I will be sending my ECU back out to have it tuned for the CR170 turbo.

I am stabbing the throttle from an idle with no load, its going to smoke (especially COLD). Guess it sucks "lol". :rolleyes: Has not been re-tuned for the 170 turbo, just a "delete" stage 2 tune - but certainly is not going to take fuel out of a tune for a larger turbo. The car does not "roal coal" like a modified sled puller while driving. First I was "ripped off" for buying the turbo brand new, and now it sucks that it smokes to much. You are an angry fellow!
I have a cup edition I'm the happiest guy alive, don't get mad at me that you paid $1300 for a turbo when they are used with warranties for $300, you got ripped off, if don't like my opinion don't post on the internet, do you need your mommy...:( Mine doesn't smoke like that so I asked it it was tuned, that sucks...

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
Did you put the syringe back?
hahah, no!

(2/17/14)I have a cup edition I'm the happiest guy alive, don't get mad at me that you paid $1300 for a turbo when they are used with warranties for $300, you got ripped off, if don't like my opinion don't post on the internet, do you need your mommy...:( Mine doesn't smoke like that so I asked it it was tuned, that sucks...
Case and point. An immature, passive aggressive know-it-all. If you are the happiest guy alive the world is doomed.

(2/3/14)You paid $1200 for that turbo, you got ripped off. There around $400 used...for that price I would have went to a much bigger unit...
Amazing! In 14 days not only have I paid $100 more for my new turbo, a used one has dropped by $100.

I just searched "TDI DPF DELETE" on youtube and watched 3 different video's of Malone tuned 09+ TDI's that also smoke when you rev them. I can link the video's if you want to message everyone of them and spread your love.

XOXO

Last edited:

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
What are people seeing for boost with the CR170 turbo? Burried my foot today and shifted at 4k and the car went into limp mode - I assume an over boost issue? Was fine when cleared with my small hand held scanner - tried to duplicate but could not.

Stock CR140 peak boost?
CR170 peak boost?

Overall this turbo is f@cking awesome, car pulls HARD!!!! Sounds bad a$$!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
Shorty - sorry man!!!!! Been snowing like hell around here. Roads have been terrible but supposed to be into the 50's by week end. I won't forget ya! I will check rail pressure - fuel filter only has 3,000 miles on it. I do have a 2 micron filter set up on the car - hope that doesn't make a flow difference.

Ibexlatham - ECU has NOT been tweaked for this turbo. I agree it's more than likely an over boost. I will watch the gauge, I have seen 25 lbs - I will pay more attention on a full throttle pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
When i swapped over to the 170 turbo before remapp car ran as before, no faster or slower, and according to boost logs actual matched requested quite well with no overboosting.

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
When i swapped over to the 170 turbo before remapp car ran as before, no faster or slower, and according to boost logs actual matched requested quite well with no overboosting.
My car was tuned 20,000+ miles ago with a "stage 2" DPF delete (Offroad use ;)) tune, so it has a "tune" in it - just has not been tweaked for the 170 snail. It is NOTICEABLY faster than it was before, and it has cleaned up any smoke that I would see in the rear view. So the only right thing to do is give it more fuel! ! ! :D

When you try to push the go pedal through the firewall its smile city. Could only imagine the Darkside 2260 kit!

Tomorrow should be 48 & sunny so I will get some logs with VCDS

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
Ah i see, i was standard with standard fuelling. The car actually made 152bhp on standard map with the 170 turbo but didn't feel faster. I came from a VW 2.0 T gasser tuned to 330bhp and i can still say a 2.0CR with a 170 turbo , DPF delete and tune is impressive!

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
Damn Jay....

I can't wait for Peter to complete the kit so I can get the turbo swapped...

I am trying to help him out with that when my correct turbo inlet pipe comes in to find one that works and is more price friendly. Peter will figure it out!

mickyTDI said:
Ah i see, i was standard with standard fuelling. The car actually made 152bhp on standard map with the 170 turbo but didn't feel faster. I came from a VW 2.0 T gasser tuned to 330bhp and i can still say a 2.0CR with a 170 turbo , DPF delete and tune is impressive!
By your signature, does it now make 200 HP?? And dumb question - I know BHP is brake Horse Power, is that to the tires or crank? Its amazing how much they wake up with a tune.

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
Yeah it's about 200bhp at the crank. A dpf delete on a CR won't give you a higher bhp but will make the power more flexible. Revo have said on different forums that a CR 170 with their tune and dpf delete " is more than a match for Golf GTI 2.0TFSI with a tune"

Last edited:

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
good stuff.. keep it coming along.. i hope you area not running low on rail pressure TDI-Jay...like me and brian

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
good stuff.. keep it coming along.. i hope you area not running low on rail pressure TDI-Jay...like me and brian
I hope I am not either, but highly doubt it with only a 170 turbo wouldn't you think?

Storx - Didn't you have better luck with a FASS lift pump? Thought I read something where under WOT you were dropping to almost zero PSI between the AUX pump and the HPFP (with the stock AUX pump).

Last edited:

Paulinski

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta Wagon Highline
I had a low rail pressure limp mode on my car when my mechanic was running logs for Mark after new HPFP was installed.

Stage 2 / Rawtek combo - only happened once in manual mode 3rd gear at 5k...

Could be new pump or one time deal..I rarely drive in manual mode so it has not happened since...

I'm also running Andrews kits....Its one of my worries going with CR170.

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
I had a low rail pressure limp mode on my car when my mechanic was running logs for Mark after new HPFP was installed.

Stage 2 / Rawtek combo - only happened once in manual mode 3rd gear at 5k...

Could be new pump or one time deal..I rarely drive in manual mode so it has not happened since...

I'm also running Andrews kits....Its one of my worries going with CR170.
Hmm, I hope it isn't an issue! I love having the both 2 micron kits on my car incase anything were to happen. I will do some logs tomorrow and find out for sure.