Locking glove box

sanjaun2

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI 2012 Passat TDI
What were they thinking when they designed the lock on the glove box. I found out this morning while trying to lock my glove box that the real key will not lock it. I guess you need the plastic key. Must be some kind of German logic I do not understand. I am half German too.Does anyone know why they did this and can the lock be changed so that the main key can be used?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Old news. Due to KESSY remote start systems and it being necessary to hand the valet the REAL key in order to park your car, the VALET key is now what locks the glove box and the rear pass-through.

If you change the glove box lock to the main key, you are defeating the purpose of the valet key entirely, as the valet will now have access to your glove box. If that's what you prefer, I'm sure it can be done... with a bit of money to recore the lock.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Now that I understand how the plastic key works I really like it... I don't have to worry about leaving that key in the car, and if i need to valet the car I just take the small plastic key with me. When I pick the car up it can go right back in the glove box... no way to lose it.

-Jason

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Screw valet parking, those kids thrash in your car in the parking lots.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Sometimes you don't have a choice, but the nuances of valet parking are off topic. ;)

sanjaun2

Veteran Member
TDI
Screw valet parking, those kids thrash in your car in the parking lots.
I agree, I never Valet park. Another question is if you leave the plastic key in the key holder in the glove box like VW says, Cant someone break into your car and use the plastic key to steal your car?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
No because the plastic key ONLY works in the glove box lock and back seat fold down lock. It does not turn in the ignition or door lock.

-J

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Main key = ignition

Valet key = glove box & pass-through

sanjaun2

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks gentlemen, It is starting to make sense now. The dealer incorrectly told me that the plastic key was the valet key and should be given to the attendant to start and park your car. As with my last two Tdi's, I love this car!

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Dealer fail. :(
Most VW dealerships are stealerships, why should this be any different?

The Bible on VW ownership is The Owners Manual, read it religiously, quote it, pray that you understand it, and it will provide for you. :D

Devious

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (White)
Or post on here so someone in 2017 with a new to me 2015 doesn't run to the dealer because the damn key won't lock the glove.

Thanks much.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Or post on here so someone in 2017 with a new to me 2015 doesn't run to the dealer because the damn key won't lock the glove.
Thanks much.
When I bought my 2015 a yrar ago I did read the complete manual !

As said before:
The Bible on VW ownership is The Owners Manual, read it religiously.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
on the 2017 they make it easier, there's no lock on the glove box, just wish they did the same on the fuel filler door as thats gonna fail in 2-3 years.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I'm curious about the plastic valet key. When I bought the car last year it was missing and the dealer gave me a plastic key immediately.

This makes me wonder if all the plastic keys have the same grooves and it will work in all 2015 cars?

740GLE on the 2017 they make it easier, there's no lock on the glove box,
When I owned a 1995 Passat TD it had NO glovebox at all, a royal PIA !

Last edited:

Mishipeshu

TDI
2013 Passat
Thank you. Now I can finally lock my glovebox and take the valet key out of my safe and out it where it belongs.
Oh yes, I finally found the owners manual too....doh!

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
My car was missing the glove box key. Ordering one from VW cost me about $70.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
And here I was about to rip on someone for reviving a dead thread for asking a question that was already answered.

Instead, a newbie used the search function and found the applicable answer.

Good job new guy. Welcome to TDIClub.