Lift for TDI Sportwagen (for oversize tires)

BeaverMan

TDI
10 JSW
I like it, is is optics or does the front look raised about 1/2" more than the rear? How is the ride? Shock setup? I've seen posts on tiguan forums complaining of roughride with these springs. Stock is too buttery smooth for my liking anyways. I'll post of a pic of how stock suspension with 215/60/16 looks tomorrow and probably pull the trigger on increased height springs next week.

Alpina

TDI
2013 JSW
First, I uploaded more photos from today. I assume you can use the same link. I was driving up to the Colorado Trailhead near my house. This is a very steep road with many steeper dips and I had no problem with the approach and departure angles. I did have to turn off the traction control.

I measured just behind the front and just ahead of the rear tires, under the sill, and both read 9" and are maybe off an 1/8". Basically level.

The stock ride as purchased is awful; soft with poor directional control. Coming from a BMW Sportwagen with the sport suspension I knew it would not be as nice. I had 300K on the BMW and it was in perfect condition with all the suspension parts replaced at 150K.

Anyway, set as I have it, I think it is perfect over all roads and handles significantly better than stock. I don't know which change made the most difference, (tires, springs or sway), but taken together it is firm but not jarring. A couple of non-car people have mentioned that it "rides" really well. Turn-in is much improved as well.

I have 7800 miles on it now and have driven it six weeks.

BrShootr

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
Ok, here's how the install went...

I ended up using the tiggy rear springs and shocks. The springs were the same length as the stock JSW springs, so no lift. They are stiffer and will haul weight better, so I'm happy with the result. The tiggy shocks were about 3" longer than the stock JSW shocks. I shortened the bump stop so in full compression they are about the same length as was the stock setup.

On the front, I ended up using the tiggy struts with my stock springs. Without lift in the rear, I really didn't want to raise the front. I guess I could've ordered some spacers for the rear spring perches, but I was really after new shocks/struts and more load carrying in the rear, so the overall swap worked well for me. As a side note, the front tiggy struts were the same length as my stock JSW struts, but seemed to be valved for the heavier tiggy. This will work well and be like getting a set of HD struts for a fraction of the cost.

Finding lightly used tiggy suspension parts from a dude that lowered his fairly new ride is the way to go. With used tiggy parts, new bolts, strut mounts, and rear shock mounts, I had about $300 total invested. I did also buy a nice set of triple square bits, but will be able to use those on future projects. The spring compressor was a free Autozone rental. Ah, I also got a Metalnerd strut mount spreader... Priceless. ID Parts was extremely helpful and shipping was fast even around a holiday weekend.
Do you know what model Tiggy you got those from? I thought for sure the Tiggy springs would raise the car...

Alpina

TDI
2013 JSW
And they did raise the car. Look back to my post on page six. The springs are made to raise a Tiguan. I think they raised the Sportwagen about 3". I do not know where it started as stock, but I bet someone can let us know.

peytah

TDI
2010 JSW TDI, 6 sp manual, Pano roof, lifted
Alpina,
What do the angles on the CV axles look like compared to stock? There is certainly a change, but how much? Do they click or feel different if you make a turn at full steering lock while under power? Clicking, other noise? Did you do the work yourself?

I'm very interested in doing this to my JSW, but I have concerns about the extra stress put on the CV joints due to them having to do their job while at a greater angle. I did something similar with an old Subaru and it eats front CVs.

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Do you know what model Tiggy you got those from? I thought for sure the Tiggy springs would raise the car...
The tiggy was a 2wd, non sport model.

The rear tig springs gave no appreciable lift, but do seem to be a bit stiffer and carry weight better. The front tig springs have been shown to lift, but I opted just to use the stock JSW springs with the tiggy struts.

As a note to update my earlier posts. I did have to remove the tig rear shocks. They were too long, and I found myself using the bump stops too much. With a loaded car, the bump stops were just barely touching. I ordered and installed the Koni STR.T rear shocks, and am pleased with them so far.

Last edited:

Alpina

TDI
2013 JSW
Peytah:
I'm not sure how the angles changed, but you must be correct that a change occurred. If the steering is at full lock, left or right and I get the speedo up to about ten mph, there is no audible clicking and nothing feels bound. The steering remains smooth although I get dizzy after three revolutions. I've driven about 7000 miles since changing the springs and just drove 1000 today at about 80 with no issues.

I did not change the springs myself. I have a friend who owns a shop.

Time will tell. Since I drive a lot of highway, I suppose any extra stress will be limited. The BMW I just sold had 300K miles and I was still using the original clutch, which was in fine shape, so my experience may not be typical.

Or...maybe they will eat CV's !

benwah

TDI
2012 JSW CJAA
Sorry to resurrect this, but I'm still not clear which Tiggy springs to get.

Alpina's post #89 seems to suggest the H&R raising springs, which TireRack shows as model 29037.1 for $218, but clearly states For 4WD models only.

But TNriverjet's post #98 is saying get Tiggy springs for a 2WD.

I also have the ETKA Tiggy suspension parts list from the stealership, showing the Tiggy spring p/n, color code, model as follows:
FRONT coil springs
5N0 411 105 R - 1 green 1 red 2 white - PR-G02,G73+L02
5N0 411 105 S - 1 green 1 red - PR-G02,G73+L03
5N0 411 105 T - 1 green 2 red - PR-G02,G73+L04
5N0 411 105 AA - 1 green 3 red - PR-G02,G73+L05
5N0 411 105 AB - 1 green 1 white - PR-G02+L11
5N0 411 105 AC (sports sus.) - 1 green 2 white - PR-G03+L07
5N0 411 105 AD (sports sus.) - 1 green 3 white - PR-G03+L08
REAR coil springs
3C0 511 115 AB - 1 white 1 lilac - PR-0YB
3C0 511 115 AC - 1 white 1 lilac 1 yellow - PR-0YC
3C0 511 115 AD - 1 white 1 lilac 2 yellow - PR-0YD
3C0 511 115 AE - 1 white 1 lilac 3 yellow - PR-0YE
3C0 511 115 AF - 1 white 1 lilac 1 orange - PR-0YF
3C0 511 115 AG - 1 white 1 lilac 2 orange - PR-0YG
3C0 511 115 AH - 1 white 1 lilac 3 orange - PR-0YH

So exactly which Tiggy springs do I want?

Lastly, I like to hear back from BeaverMan on post #88 on how the Geolander ATS 215/60/16 fit.

BeaverMan

TDI
10 JSW
Geolander ATS 215/60 fit well

Resurrected again - The gentlemen at the local tire shop stated they wouldnt fit, but my measurements told otherwise. Ordered thru tirerack and had installed by one of their preferred vendors (the motorsports arm of a local dealer) and they fit well no issues. Loaded up 1100# of hardibacker and tiles the other day and no rubbing on the rears. Only other suspension mod is firestone coilrite airbags so that may have helped me stay off the bumpstops.

Finances finally allow for H&R tiggy springs and I too am curious the model installed by Alpina

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Resurrected again - The gentlemen at the local tire shop stated they wouldnt fit, but my measurements told otherwise. Ordered thru tirerack and had installed by one of their preferred vendors (the motorsports arm of a local dealer) and they fit well no issues. Loaded up 1100# of hardibacker and tiles the other day and no rubbing on the rears. Only other suspension mod is firestone coilrite airbags so that may have helped me stay off the bumpstops.

Finances finally allow for H&R tiggy springs and I too am curious the model installed by Alpina
Pics, or it didn't happen. :D

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)

I put the id parts towing springs on, this is with about 150 lbs of stuff in the back, looks pretty level with the front, stock at least on mine it was always about an inch low in the rear. it was maybe 4 inches higher when I first took it off the lift, ride is stiffer, but ok, handling is about the same.
16" rims btw..

mldouthi

TDI
Rabbit
Just a little more info on springs if people are interested. These were posting in my build thread on vortex. And I know they are on a rabbit and not a JSW, but it should help you all as well.

These springs were used on the rabbit pictured below. This should give you a little lift without having to use spacers since (from that I read in here) the JSW springs are the same length as the tig springs.
Tig Lift Springs

benwah

TDI
2012 JSW CJAA
(to the thread that won't die...)

Since it's *Spring* and all our veggies and flowers are sprouting up, I thought of this thread, and what I can do to the car. AND, I just put a hitch on my car and did some towing this past weekend, with some ass end sag, so again revived this thread.

I just bought (privately) the Tiguan RAISING springs this morning, H&R model 29037-1. They are claimed to raise a 'Tig 1.2" up front, 0.6" in the back.

I'll take pics and measurements of the JSW before and after; but it'll be a few days until I get them, and get them on. Stay tuned.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36_116&products_id=3520

This is what I have in the back of my wagon (see pics on page 7)

from the center of the hub to the top of the wheel opening I get 15" front and 16.1" rear unladen, add about 150 lbs and the rear sags .3" so 15.75" your results may vary, I think they are breaking in a bit, it seemed much taller before, but maybe I'm just getting used to it. I have 16" wheels with 205-55-r16's on it

BMLO13

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagon
It is not unusual for new springs to settle in. How is the ride with the towing springs in the rear?

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
ride is pretty good, it feels better than before but I did have a broken spring, so its hard to draw an objective conclusion, that and the roads up here in Maine are really bad this spring. to me the ride is comfortable, I don't really notice it being better or worse than most of the other cars I drive / slash ride in, although it does handle a fair bit sharper.

I have zero idea what it did to the back seat ride. this car has never been a Cadillac, and I'm glad it doesn't wallow through the turns like one.

Bottom line I don't thing it negatively affected ride quality much, however as always yrmv.

benwah

TDI
2012 JSW CJAA
And they did raise the car. Look back to my post on page six. The springs are made to raise a Tiguan. I think they raised the Sportwagen about 3". I do not know where it started as stock, but I bet someone can let us know.
So you went raising springs all the way around? I've read someplace that the front Tiguan raising springs cause the JSW shocks to top out - did you experience that?

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
hmm, this is interesting.. Alpina, I am interested in everything you did. Would you be able to list everything you changed and with what? You probably did that already and I missed it.

Never mind, I see it now..

benwah

TDI
2012 JSW CJAA
I'm hoping alpina doesn't mind me sharing info from off-forum conversation:
He put Tig' LIFT/raising springs all four corners, with stock JSW struts, and claims about 2" lift.

A thread over on the 'tex is reporting ~27" top of wheel well height on the rear with LIFT springs, and 28" top of wheel well height on the front with LIFT springs (on 205/55-R16's).

Tig' LIFT springs on the FRONT have been reported as hitting hard when the fronts encounter a dip/drop/pothole (I do not have personal experience with this, yet). Some were more sensitive to this than others, based on driving style and local road conditions.

Tig' 2WD springs on the FRONT [paint marks not reported] are reported as about 1" body lift over stock - ~27" top of wheel well, which would make front level with rear lift springs.

All with LIFT springs on the rear have reported it working well, particularly if towing.

This is what I've assembled from posts and communications, have not done the install on my JSW yet (waiting on bolts from ECS).

I am contemplating (as have others) making a small cut on the front LIFT spring with stock JSW struts, but also have source for 2WD Tig' springs - hemming and hawing over which to do. Also wondering about the AWD Tig' springs.

Last edited:

sporkacus

TDI
2011 JSW TDI (6MT)
I am new to the whole idea of raising a TDI but I am definitely curious to hear back from people on the different configurations of springs and how they work in varied circumstances. I have a 4WD that is about to kick it and when it does I will be looking to gain as much ground clearance as possible on my '11 JSW so I can still get around on forest roads.

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question as I don't really know much about modding, but what about air suspension? Would that offer a possibility as another option? or even a compliment to getting bigger springs?

benwah

TDI
2012 JSW CJAA
Tiguan spring part numbers

SO, to add some completeness to this thread:

H&R Tiguan LIFT springs are H&R p/n 29037-1. Some report topping out front JSW stock struts with these springs.

wolczas on vwvortex used 2WD Tiguan front springs (green red white white) VW p/n 5N0 411 105R, with good reported results - no topping out stock JSW struts on potholes.

And props to schreibers on this forum for reporting '09 Tiguan 2.0T 4 Motion (Non-Sport) front AWD springs (green red red), VW p/n 5N0 411 105T; these fronts sit level with brown dot European towing rear springs on Koni STR-T shocks/struts.

SomeJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6m
I have a new set of the H&R tig lift springs coming in next week. Should have been this week but they screwed up and gave me 4 fronts in the kit instead of 2 front 2 back... But yea... I will for sure post back with results. I know lately with the stock springs and 56kmiles on the car with over sized tires I have witnessed more rubbing than when I originally put on the tires (over 20k miles ago). So I am excited to see how this goes. Will have a good 2k mile trip to break them in and collect data in a few weeks. :D

Cheers!
J

sporkacus

TDI
2011 JSW TDI (6MT)
I have a new set of the H&R tig lift springs coming in next week. Should have been this week but they screwed up and gave me 4 fronts in the kit instead of 2 front 2 back... But yea... I will for sure post back with results. I know lately with the stock springs and 56kmiles on the car with over sized tires I have witnessed more rubbing than when I originally put on the tires (over 20k miles ago). So I am excited to see how this goes. Will have a good 2k mile trip to break them in and collect data in a few weeks. :D

Cheers!
J

What size are your "over sized tires"? Just trying to get an idea of the range I should be looking at without having to enlarge the wheel well.

benwah

TDI
2012 JSW CJAA
What size are your "over sized tires"? Just trying to get an idea of the range I should be looking at without having to enlarge the wheel well.
Yes, i'm interested in this info as well.

I'd love to see what some BFG All-Terrain T/As would look like on a JSW.