DPF problems

Phill1060

TDI
2003 Jetta Tdi
The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) for the Ford super duty diesel engine gets super hot (1000F) to incinerate the soot created by the diesel engine. When combustible fluids (either diesel or engine oil) leak into the DPF it has shown to create some hot situations. Ford’s solution is to monitor the DPF for spikes in temperature (indicating a fire or pending fire) in the exhaust system and to have the Truck power itself down slowly. On a Ford truck the tail pipe extends straight out so the truck did not appear to get any body damage. On a Jetta could this mean a melted bumper :eek: (Jetta's tail pipe faces down under bumper) because of a faulty diesel air mixture or bad turbo? Is this potentially the crux of the particulate trap (so hot they ignite not only soot but any blow by gases or oil/diesel mixture).

I do not mean to be pessimistic but I am really considering trading my 03 TDI auto for a 08 manual TDI and I even have the wife on board. I just want to be sure it is a good buy. I don’t want people honking at me one day because I look like a rocket going down the road with a melted bumper.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I am sure that the designers will have taken this into account. If not, that's what a warranty is for. The trucks that I've seen with DPF's seem to have a setup that blends outside air into the exhaust stream after the DPF to cool it down.

I think you can rest assured that there is some sort of reliable countermeasure against this hazard, already in place.