What would be considered normal Oil Consumption, for a new TDI

For the first 1000 miles?

For the first 5000 miles?

After 10,000 miles?

Da~da~da

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6
I currently have 21k on mine and so far have had no oil consumption checking the level twice a week.

Last edited:

Philcsag16

TDI
JETTA
I noticed last week that the oil was at the MIN operating mark on the dipstick, so I ordered some Motul 5w-40 505.1 spec oil, it arrived last night. I have just about 1000 miles on the Jetta, and I had to put 3/4 of Liter in it this morning to get the oil level in the middle of the operating range on the dip stick.
I will keep a close eye on the level, to see if it was not topped off at factory or if there is a consumption issue.

SuperJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I don't consume any measurable amount in the 16k kms between changes. A young engine will often consume a bit more due to rings not sealing fully for the first bit.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Less than 1% is fuel in the oil as determined by my UOA's, even after 10K. I doubt it's making it onto your dipstick, showing a higher oil level.

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
78000 miles here and no visible consumption, checking once a month.

BTW, during the last service, I think that the dealer overfilled the oil (4.5 liters). Can this cause a damage to my engine? What should I do? And how much oil there should be for 1.9 TDI 77 kW (Golf Mk5)?

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
hid3 said:
78000 miles here and no visible consumption, checking once a month.

BTW, during the last service, I think that the dealer overfilled the oil (4.5 liters). Can this cause a damage to my engine? What should I do? And how much oil there should be for 1.9 TDI 77 kW (Golf Mk5)?
If your engine is like ours, it would take over 2 liters extra for the crank to hit the oil level. Don't know what your dipstick is like but recently I had a leakage problem (valve cover gasket) so I had dumped a liter into the engine on the road. When it was all said and done, I noticed several days later I was overfilled. The oil level was a noticeable amount above the ball. I got the Pela out, unsure how full it was. It was about a liter over full after I got the level back to max. So based on this, the oil would have to be probably 2 1/2 cms above the ball before it got to be a problem.

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
dhdenney said:
If your engine is like ours, it would take over 2 liters extra for the crank to hit the oil level. Don't know what your dipstick is like but recently I had a leakage problem (valve cover gasket) so I had dumped a liter into the engine on the road. When it was all said and done, I noticed several days later I was overfilled. The oil level was a noticeable amount above the ball. I got the Pela out, unsure how full it was. It was about a liter over full after I got the level back to max. So based on this, the oil would have to be probably 2 1/2 cms above the ball before it got to be a problem.
oh, so the oil level must not exceed that ball, right? Mine doesn't exceed so I hope it's still ok and no damage to the engine.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That does sound excessive considering on a 10K interval that you would have "changed your oil" by 6K. However I have heard that rule of thumb more than once.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
hid3 said:
oh, so the oil level must not exceed that ball, right? Mine doesn't exceed so I hope it's still ok and no damage to the engine.
Well what I meant was it has to be way high above the ball to be a problem. Too much oil basically means that the crank will be hitting the oil and cause foaming which can decrease its ability to protect. Also, I think a high enough level will also cause the engine to burn it and possibly damage the catalyst. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one.) Note as well that the ball tends to scrape the sides of the tube and might appear to be overfilled when in fact it is not. But if your oil level is not above the ball, you are just fine.

vw#2

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 jetta pd tdi white 5 spd
Philcsag16 said:
I noticed last week that the oil was at the MIN operating mark on the dipstick, so I ordered some Motul 5w-40 505.1 spec oil, it arrived last night. I have just about 1000 miles on the Jetta, and I had to put 3/4 of Liter in it this morning to get the oil level in the middle of the operating range on the dip stick.
I will keep a close eye on the level, to see if it was not topped off at factory or if there is a consumption issue.
before my first oil change I useed half a litre to top it off to get to the next oil change. it was premature for me to do this I didn't need to it never consumed any more after that inital consumtion I don't have any have any oil issues anymore 16777 miles

OsirisTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Tech Package DSG Golf, Executive Egg
I poured about 600 ml of Castrol OE SLX for 2 top offs. I'd say it was 300 ml at two 2k mi. intervals before the initial oil change. The oil level has been steady since, current mileage is at 6k.

I forgot to get sample from that first oil change. I didn't blink during the oil change process at the dealer. I wanted an analysis of the initial oil. I didn't think of it until after the tech started to pour the SLX.

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
I've found that I use about 500ml of oil every 10K miles. Is this something I should be worried about?

I knowI have a small oil leak, which appears to come from a pipe going into the turbo, but have decided to live with it rather than spending the money to get it fixed.

Thanks.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
TDI 4 RD said:
I've found that I use about 500ml of oil every 10K miles. Is this something I should be worried about?

I knowI have a small oil leak, which appears to come from a pipe going into the turbo, but have decided to live with it rather than spending the money to get it fixed.

Thanks.
1/2L in 10K miles is perfectly normal. You really should get the leak fixed though.

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
I figured the "cure" would be worse than the disease, particularly if I had to take my car to a local dealer. I will get the leak fixed when I get my TB changed by one of the tdi gurus on this site. I drive about 1000miles/week, so that should be sometime next spring.