Slave cylinder tapped out

bigdog0u81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf
Looking to do a Malone stage 1 or 2 tune in the near future. But the slave cylinder went out today. So with a tune in the near future im thinking about upgrading the clutch but dont want to spend a arm and a leg. Anyone a suggestion on a kit that will hold the Malone stage 2 tune which they claim is 163 whp and 295 lb ft torque. I have rawtek exhaust also waiting on the tune.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
would stick to a dual mass unit on the commonrails, stock clutch works fine, sach performance kit from darkside is a nice upgrade.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I run the Sachs SRE with DMF and organic disc. It's completely stock feeling, and will hold 400ft-lbs. Solid unit and super nice to drive in traffic!

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
The synchros don't last in these transmissions with a smf.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
It's not just extended idling, DMF should stay. Can read my build thread if you want to see a synchro failure...and I'm not alone, there have been plenty of others that have gone down that road. I've yet to hear of anyone lasting over 25k miles with a SMF on the later 02Q

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
It was not a heavy flywheel (17lbs or 21lbs I think, still have it in the garage)...and I still have thoughts to this day about what would have happened if I had gone with the heaviest possible flywheel you can get. I was talked into going lighter by a vendor I will not name, but that setup not only starting slipping before 10k miles (was rated for some 500ft-lbs and I dynoed 330wtq), the SMF destroyed my synchros. Fortunately it was at the same time so only once did I have to take the gearbox down.
Honestly, I don't think a heavier flywheel will do anything other than prolong the inevitable. At that point, is it worth it to go into a gearbox every 100k..150k miles?? I think that's ridiculous myself.