Q5 cold air intake upgrade!

prestipresse

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI
Q5 Tdi upgrade air intake or not?
Hi everyone,
I ‘ve had my oem turbo rebuilted: billet, bearings, ..., egr, swirl flap and Add blue delete. New down pipe, cat less. Stage 4 tuning with 4 bar map sensor.
Right now, my turbo is pushing 35 psi.I might have around 300whp, will confirm in the spring with a dyno!
I really need more air for the turbo, suggestion from Tuner!
I want to built my own cold air intake, because it kills me to pay 1000$ for apr cold air intake!
And the opening beside the turbo is so small! I was thinking to fit the SQ5 TDI, it’s much larger then mine, but not sure it will fit!
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks!

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Assuming you have the 2.0 and SQ5 is 3.0? The stock elbow is fairly tiny at the end that meets the turbo at least on my 2.0. Stock is 41mm (I'm sure it's different but maybe similar) on the elbow inside diameter. What I have now matches the inlet on the 2260 turbo while retaining stock airbox. Has to help at least a little bit I'd imagine. My measurements tell me I gained 10mm just by eliminating that elbow...again, retaining the stock airbox.

How about an intercooler upgrade, would help a lot as well I'd imagine.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Pretty sure all the Q5's got the 3L V6. I think the only Audi that got the 2L (over here anyhow)was the A3.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I guess I could have deduced that from the 35psi mention..whoops. Still think there is merritt to increasing intake size to at least match the compressor inlet though.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"Still think there is merritt" to increasing intake size to at least match the compressor inlet though." Adjat

I'll go along with that, I've got a PD150 airbox with bigger MAF going on
my ALH soon, cleaning up the plumbing to the turbo, and larger diameter,
has got to help IMO.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
I run the Q5 with gtb2565 and stock intake, 2.4 bar boost 360+ hp , stock intake is perfect.
Big frontal IC surely helps keeping IAT down.

My friend with similar setup runs 400+hp and no need for expensive air intake. He's got probably the fastest Q5 there is 100-200 under 12seconds

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Q5 Tdi upgrade air intake or not?
Doing so is NOT and upgrade. It's a downgrade. Hp and engine and turbo killer. Please look at the cold air intakes sticky.

Dont want to match the intake port on the turbo air speed velocity vs CFM. The turbo is doing a fine job as is.

prestipresse

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI
I run the Q5 with gtb2565 and stock intake, 2.4 bar boost 360+ hp , stock intake is perfect.
Big frontal IC surely helps keeping IAT down.

My friend with similar setup runs 400+hp and no need for expensive air intake. He's got probably the fastest Q5 there is 100-200 under 12seconds
Hi Macradiators,
Can you tell me what brand and size of IC that is on your Q5?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
No they dont, a large spectre cone filter swallows air compared to that.
Another clueless post about air filters on turbo cars. Do you have any idea what you just said and why ots a bad idea.
You might be correct that put to the test against a flow bench that the OEM filter vs an aftermarket bug screen scam part wont flow as much, you are doing just that, sucking up debris and "adding air" to a system that can add it's own air via a turbo.
Please think before you post. Also spectre filters are very piss poor quality. I've had to use a few and I've never been impressed. The chinisium they come with always fails but customer service was always happy to send me replacements.