Driving without turbo == Dangerous?

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
My turbo stopped operating & have no interest fixing. If I continue driving could it “blowup” and bits of metal kill the engine?

Last edited:

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
It's not the bits of metal that are terribly concerning, it's the oil that could be pouring into the intake. Your car could ingest a slug of it, hydrolock the engine and/or runaway.

Fix it or park it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Only if you plug off the oil supply and disconnect the boost pipe from the turbo and put on some sort of aftermarket intake but you will have next to no power at all and maybe 10mpg . Will be worth it to just rent a car and fix it honestly

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
I popped my intercooler on my ALH open on the highway... let me tell you, it was sketchy as hell getting back home when I could barely maintain 70mph on level roads.

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
That’s how my Civic Hybrid drives when the battery is empty... very sluggish & have to shift to 3rd to maintain speed (or settle for just 55). I have 4 cars so I’ll just junk the Beetle.. It’s cheaper that way. BTW I have noticed a drop in oil sump, so probably eating oil.

Thanks

:)

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
yea... a time bomb with about a 10 second timer.

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Shouldnt a broken turbo make grinding noises prior to death?. Mine made no noise..... just cut out. I hope the dealer tells me it’s just a bad MAF or lose vacuum lines Or dirty intake

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
i had a really bad runaway on my stage 6 tuned ahu with a gt2056 at 32psi on 764's
in 5th gear going about 65~mph all of the sudden it felt WIDE OPEN and let me tell you that power band is nuts even at 5th gear. it took about 1/4 mile for me to stall out the car with my brakes and brake. thank god for that SBC stage 2 endurance clutch.
the runaway was due to too many pulls exceeding EGT's of 1600*F+.
they are NO JOKE.
measure the play you have and analyze the oil for brass.
Or just buy a core or (CHAR) for your turbo. they are cheep.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Shouldnt a broken turbo make grinding noises prior to death?. Mine made no noise..... just cut out. I hope the dealer tells me it’s just a bad MAF or lose vacuum lines Or dirty intake

generally the vanes stick wide open when the actuator rod gets rusty
just means that you'll never see boost, not that anything's actually broken

where in the cities are you?