timing belt change replacement procedure

diesel steve

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4v
I am in the process of a timing belt change. I took it apart a few months ago with instructions from the web site myturbodiesel.com.I went back to their site the links no longer exist. That site has changed. I thought it was the best instructions for doing the change including water pump. I know this site has a a 3 timing belt link with a lot of photos but I thought their site was easier to follow Does anyone know what happened to that site or how to get to those links. I tried to send them an email but think it did not go through.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
There's a recent thread in the A4 Forum that is discussing this. Has some links.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Maybe the same company took over Photobucket.

Anyway, the old content was backed up at web.archive.org. I was in the process of downloading it from there, but couldn't find a good tool to grab it, and got tired of File-->SavePageAs for each wiki page.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Maybe the same company took over Photobucket.

Anyway, the old content was backed up at web.archive.org. I was in the process of downloading it from there, but couldn't find a good tool to grab it, and got tired of File-->SavePageAs for each wiki page.
Doing it by the page is really tedious, hate that.

This whole thing with photobucket and myturbodiesel demonstrates the problems with vitual media sharing and lack of permanency. I'm convinced that unless you have it in a hard copy that in the future you could be screwed by some corporation that has purchased a 'library' of former users photos / info and is only willing to share that by selling subscriptions.

I can no longer even delete my PB photos and PB has removed the download library function so each photo has to be done individually.

I still prefer to use paper manuals, they are much easier to thumb through, especially if you're messing with wiring diagrams.

Steve

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
I still prefer to use paper manuals, they are much easier to thumb through, especially if you're messing with wiring diagrams.
Wiring diagrams were high on the list for why I bought the Mk5 Bentley. The print is unbearably tiny and faded-greyscale, and lacking pinout detail. The Mk3 diagrams have 2 "pages" per page, side-by-side in landscape; the Mk5 has the 2 "pages" one on top of the other in portrait. It's like they purposely made them unreadable so you have to buy a digital copy.

diesel steve

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4v
Thanks Mongler98 for that link. A member by the name of BobnOH had the link to find the write up on myturbodiesel.com. The part that I need now is the part 2 of how to put it back together. I accessed the write up but could not view the photos that came with it. It had little squares like thumb nails that I tried clicking on but could not view. It has been about five years since I changed one of these timing belts and at that time the myturbodiesel site was different and the photos for part 2 could be seen.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Wiring diagrams were high on the list for why I bought the Mk5 Bentley. The print is unbearably tiny and faded-greyscale, and lacking pinout detail. The Mk3 diagrams have 2 "pages" per page, side-by-side in landscape; the Mk5 has the 2 "pages" one on top of the other in portrait. It's like they purposely made them unreadable so you have to buy a digital copy.
Could be, but they do make money on the print versions, but likely not as much as the digital.

Personally I detest digital for wiring diagrams, the way VW does their diagrams with references to points pages away you cannot easily follow with digital, I have to print what i want and look at it on paper, besides, there isn't a person out there that I know of that does serious electrical diagnosis that doesn't write in the margins of those manuals or make notes next to circuits. You can't easily do that with digital.

Steve

nh nam vet

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 97 Passats , 02 Jetta
Hey diesel steve,
The best advice that I can give you is to watch these two youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mQ-tA-fSQs Part 1 and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy5ugRg927U Part 2.

In February 2017, I used my Toshiba laptop out in the garage with my tools and parts and performed the TB change on my DD then at 331,861. I had my written procedures as well, but it was nice to pause, stop and replay and work (and break) at my convenience. My DD is now at 375K and I may be on my last NH state vehicle inspection sticker, but the robinsonsauto youtube TB videos did the trick for me.

diesel steve

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4v
Thanks for those youtube.com links. I will check them out. The myturbodiesel.com instructions were excellent. It's a shame that site changed good information and trying to make their site better made it worse.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Recipe for Success:

1. Buy well-established website.
2. Delete and/or hide the Wiki section responsible for attracting all new visitors.
3. Spam existing members with weekly "Trending Posts" emails. (Where's The Damn Wiki is oddly never trending)
4. Laugh all the way to the bank.
5. Find another well-established website.
6. Goto 1.