2013 Touareg transmission service

hwork1

TDI
2002 Bug TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2013 Touareg TDI, 2001 Cummins, 2006 Cummins, 2013 f250, 2015 Duramax, 2018 f250
Have 71,000 miles on mine, anyone completed a fluid and filter change on one of these? A quick search scared me a tad as I ended up empty handed.

hwork1

TDI
2002 Bug TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2013 Touareg TDI, 2001 Cummins, 2006 Cummins, 2013 f250, 2015 Duramax, 2018 f250
Thank you, looks interesting.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We use a machine here, however many newer transmissions (including these 8sp Aisins) have a thermostat in the ATF preheater (the little "box" on the top of the unit with coolant pipes going to and from) that will not allow ATF flow through the cooler until the ATF is good and hot.... which sitting still they often never achieve.

I would just drain and fill it from the drain/fill hole in the pan. You'll only get about 4 liters doing it that way, which is why if it looks really dark you can do it a couple times within a hundred miles or so. Total fill is closer to 11 liters, FYI.

You needn't mess with the filter, it won't have anything in it.

Find a source for Idemitsu TLS fluid, no sense in spending some obscene amount of money for VW-branded ATF for your T'reg's Toyota transmission. They just repackage it. You can often find a 5q bottle on Amazon for about $30. 5 L of the VW branded stuff I just found on eBay for $110. :eek:

We've been using Idemitsu fluids in every Aisin box that comes through our doors for decades, never had any issues. This includes [obviously] all the Toyota products, as well as all the Volvos, Jeeps, GM, Ford, Mitsubishi, Nissan, ChryCo, Mini, etc. that use them.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Oilhammer, do the newer boxes use a WS fluid, not T-IV? I assumed the newer boxes would use the newer WS standard.

-J

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Idemitsu TLS-LV is WS compliant, and is backwards compatible with the T-IV.

We have not used the "old" stuff in quite a while. The only real difference is the LV (low viscosity) flows better when it is super cold. At least, that is what they told us at Toyota school.

TrdLtly

TDI
2014 Touareg Exec
Idemitsu TLS-LV is WS compliant, and is backwards compatible with the T-IV.
We have not used the "old" stuff in quite a while. The only real difference is the LV (low viscosity) flows better when it is super cold. At least, that is what they told us at Toyota school.
Great info OilHammer. Thank you for your input. Just ordered 2 five quart jugs of the Idemitsu off Amazon. My '14 has 62k mi on it. It is time. Dealer said something like $600+ them to do it. Told me to do it myself instead. I said absolutely.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Oh I'm going to try this oil out. The big T3 trans flush thread didn't come up with any suitable alternative and the best price I was able to get was $20/qt from the dealer.

A few weeks ago someone described the best way to get oil analyses for the best price?
Does anyone remember or have recommendation for best pricing on used oil analysis?

TrdLtly

TDI
2014 Touareg Exec
Oh I'm going to try this oil out. The big T3 trans flush thread didn't come up with any suitable alternative and the best price I was able to get was $20/qt from the dealer.
A few weeks ago someone described the best way to get oil analyses for the best price?
Does anyone remember or have recommendation for best pricing on used oil analysis?
For clarification: Oil or Fluid? This is a thread about "Transmission Service" which would be about fluid. Not oil. Transmission "Fluid" can be analyzed. My experience has only been with Blackstone

DieselGator

TDI
2014 Touareg Special X Edition
Wow great information here! Great advice on fluid, I was planning at doing a drain/drop pan/clean magnets/replace filter/gasket/refill at 100k miles -no towing.

This:
"You needn't mess with the filter, it won't have anything in it."
is surprising to me?

really no need to change the filter? even in my case at 100k?

if just draining and refilling are enough that would be great.