Outer Axle Bolt Choice

subber598

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI, 2013 Passat SE, 2011 Jetta SEL
Hi everyone I'm a newbie, so excuse me if I mess-up my first post. I need to replace the right front strut spring and in that process, replace the axle bolt. What's in my car is the hex head which requires the stronger torque at 148ft lbs + 1/2 turn, so I'm thinking why not use the 12-pt which only needs 52ft lbs + 1/4 turn. Will this work when the left wheel has the hex bolt? I've seen where the 12-pt with the smooth flange and the one with the ribbed flange have different torque values, and I'm wondering if this is a reality.
Also would like to find a good source for these bolts and ant others that I may need for this repair; I'd like to have everything all set before thrashing and banging. thanks in advance.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Yes, you can use the 12 pt bolt on one side and a hex on the other, the clamping force is the same, the bearings are the same etc.

I find it difficult to reach the hex spec torque even with a 3/4" drive, it's really really tight! A lenght of pipe is needed unless you're the Hulk.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Hi everyone I'm a newbie, so excuse me if I mess-up my first post. I need to replace the right front strut spring and in that process, replace the axle bolt. What's in my car is the hex head which requires the stronger torque at 148ft lbs + 1/2 turn, so I'm thinking why not use the 12-pt which only needs 52ft lbs + 1/4 turn. Will this work when the left wheel has the hex bolt? I've seen where the 12-pt with the smooth flange and the one with the ribbed flange have different torque values, and I'm wondering if this is a reality.
Also would like to find a good source for these bolts and ant others that I may need for this repair; I'd like to have everything all set before thrashing and banging. thanks in advance.
When you order the bolt from VW it'll be the 12pt with smooth flange. I've personally never seen the ribbed one. The torque specs are different for obvious reasons. The spec on the one you'll get is 147 ft/lb +180. I torque it to 147 then put the car on the ground to do the 180 turn. Review that thread linked above that I started a while back regarding the axle bolt torque.