Breeze on shifter hand when turning 2012 Jetta tdi

latitude98

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, Manual
When I make turns in my 2012 Jetta tdi manual, i occasionally feel a cold breeze on my shifter hand. i know it's not coming out of the air vents because i have hot air blowing; it being the winter time and all. Does anyone else have this problem or any ideas on what it could be? It feels like it comes through the area where the shifter comes out of. I've checked the plastic and pleather wrap and I didn't see any holes.

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
thats the sweaty palms prevention vent. you wouldn't want your hand to slip during critical shifts, would you? look, i know these cars are decontented, but they're not going to just remove an essential feature that makes driving safe and pleasant like the SPPV.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Haha...I googled it.
Yeah I get the cool breeze too....checked everywhere and cant find squat. And it doesnt always happen either.

latitude98

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, Manual
Well of course the dealer couldn't replicate the problem. I guess I'll just deal with the nuisance. I hope it doesn't lead to a major problem later on.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
I wish I had Your problem.....I'm driving around with a piece of my air intake pipe boucing around in my trunk while I wait for the D-bags at VW to fix my IC problem.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Is the shift boot seated correctly? IIRC, there's a foam rubber piece of insulation under it. Maybe that's missing, installed incorrectly, or a de-contented item.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
....there's a foam rubber piece of insulation under it. Maybe that's missing, installed incorrectly, or a de-contented item.
Took mine to the dealer...that was exactly the issue. Rubber piece was twisted in there, they replaced it.

pipes p

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta tdi dsg
i know in mine if you turn one way you get more heat, turn another and it gets cooler air. i think its how much more/less coolant goes into or out of your heater core when turning.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
i know in mine if you turn one way you get more heat, turn another and it gets cooler air. i think its how much more/less coolant goes into or out of your heater core when turning.
Not likely. Cornering should have no affect on coolant flow through the heater core.

mliddell

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium
You think this can happen in a DSG vehicle? Or am I just suffering from a placebo effect? I swear when I make right hand turns in my DSG my hand gets a breeze.....

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
Could this possibly be the effects of Newton's first law? The air leaving the vent when a turn occurs will move in the original direction of the vent. So I could see for a split second how you could feel a breeze or a change of hot and cold air. It's a common occurnace when flying a small plane, especially when it's VERY cold out.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI

sambo413

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI: Candy White, 6 Spd
Brought my car in for a service a while ago and after had similar issue..always cold and breezy esp when turning. Turna out they didn't put the cabin filter cover on I think.