turbo oil line coking causing oil consumption?

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
burning 1Q every 400 miles in my former WVO car. Posted before, compression 4 x 490, NO blue smoke, little oil in IC, very little play in turbo shaft. Consumption increased >2X after cleaning intake ports, doubled again after running AutoRx. (went from 1Q/2000:confused: --> 1Q/800:mad: --> 1Q/400 miles:eek:). Car runs great aside from the oil consumption. No hard starts, no blue start up puff, nothing.

Anyway, a buddy of mine suggested that the oil return line from the turbo could be coked up. this makes sense to me because of the sludge/coke problems I have seen under my valve cover due to WVO use. The high turbo temps would certainly foster coking inside those lines with WVO-contaminated oil.

Anybody have thoughts on this?

Is there an easy way to check this?

As alway, thanks in advance

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
If the oil was being literally cooked in the turbo return line, wouldn't that basically stop up the flow and cause some type of catastrophic pressure release somewhere in the turbo oil system? When the oil is broken down and baked, it won't go anywhere. It'll create a blockage which will be quickly dealt with by the pressure, right? I dunno, just thinking...

Also, where is the oil disappearing to if it is being coked? It's not just evaporating, so it's gotta be going somewhere.

How's the smoke on acceleration? Check your coolant expansion bottle lately? Any leaks around the oil cooler housing? What about at the back of the engine?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
A clogged up oil line wont cause consumption issues, it will just restrict oil flow to the turbo.

How much oil is in the intercooler?

Best you can probably do is to just keep driving it right now and see what happens. The good compression numbers don't necessarily that the engine is in good shape...the rings could still be stuck from the WVO use.

Good luck with it.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
a coked supply line would restrict flow to the turbo. But would a coked return line (I am assuming there is one, no idea how this thing is plumbed) cause increased oil pressure on the turbo seals? I am assuming the line to the turbo is pressurized. If it is gravity feed, then it is not likely to be the culprit.

BTW, I have been driving it for close to 40K with these oil consumption issues. No change other than the consumption increase after running the AutoRx (but no change in compression #s).

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
TDICADDGUY said:
A clogged up oil line wont cause consumption issues, it will just restrict oil flow to the turbo.
a coked supply line would restrict flow to the turbo. But would a coked return line (I am assuming there is one, no idea how this thing is plumbed) cause increased oil pressure on the turbo seals? I am assuming the line to the turbo is pressurized. If it is gravity feed, then it is not likely to be the culprit.

TDICADDGUY said:
How much oil is in the intercooler?
not much. none drips out when i pull the pipe. 70-80% of my driving is hwy

TDICADDGUY said:
Best you can probably do is to just keep driving it right now and see what happens. The good compression numbers don't necessarily that the engine is in good shape...the rings could still be stuck from the WVO use.
Been driving it for almost 40K like this. Only change was increased consumption after AutoRx treatment.

TDICADDGUY said:
Good luck with it.
Thanks!

organbuilder

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
return line from turbo blocked?

I have had 1 lube feed tube to the turbo crack and one clamp fitting fail in another one in the past two months.

Should I tell my mechanic to look for a blockage in the return?

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
burning 1Q every 400 miles in my former WVO car. Posted before, compression 4 x 490, NO blue smoke, little oil in IC, very little play in turbo shaft. Consumption increased >2X after cleaning intake ports, doubled again after running AutoRx. (went from 1Q/2000:confused: --> 1Q/800:mad: --> 1Q/400 miles:eek:). Car runs great aside from the oil consumption. No hard starts, no blue start up puff, nothing.

Anyway, a buddy of mine suggested that the oil return line from the turbo could be coked up. this makes sense to me because of the sludge/coke problems I have seen under my valve cover due to WVO use. The high turbo temps would certainly foster coking inside those lines with WVO-contaminated oil.

Anybody have thoughts on this?

Is there an easy way to check this?

As alway, thanks in advance

You mentioned sludge under the valve cover-have you cleaner the oil demisting pads out lately?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEZzSUQONVA

With your WVO useage, and gunk under the valve cover it would be good to do.