99.5 5spd transmission linkage

captKrunch

TDI
looking
Driving through freeway traffic the other day, I snapped one of the connectors at the end of my transmission cable and my car was stuck in 2nd gear for a while (I crappled it together in the parking lot of a bowling alley and it's currently being held together with zip ties, hey it works). It's a 99.5 jetta, so it's a little different than the majority of the MK4 transmission linkages. It has a black weight instead of the chrome one, the way it connects to the transmission is a bolt, not a ball. Anyway, I need to get a new cable at the very least. Doing some research it looks like the 2000+ shift box versions use a more robust design when it comes to the longevity of the cable ends.

1) the ends are replaceable
2) I watched the linkage shifter adjustment video found here GREAT TDICLUB VIDEO and I can't do that with mine the way it sits now
3) A short shift kit would be much easier to install on a 2000+ setup
4) my local vw autowrecker (read: cheap good parts) has more options on the 2000+ shift cables
5) rumor has it the 99.5 shift box has excessive slop in it

I'm wondering if anybody has swapped the shifter shift box on a 99.5 to a newer version.
Can I swap the 5spd cables + box for a 6sp cables +box?

I think my current linkage setup is the same on the older bugs too (98-99?)

My other option that I'm looking at is this: SHORT SHIFT KIT. It comes with the cables so it should fix my problem AND shorten the throw.

I'm leaning towards the short shift kit idea and keeping the original shift box unless anybody has any wisdom for me that tells me otherwise.

Thanks in advance

-Josh

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
To swap to the newer shift box and cables, you will also need to swap out the shift tower and selector base from the transmission. It is a straight up swap, just make sure the trans is in neutral when you pull the shift tower. You will have to change the reverse light connector as well. Most junkyards won't sell you the shift tower unless the trans is broken otherwise.

Most of those shift kits are junk, and in my opinion are only going to make things worse with your original shifter parts. If you want a short shifter, upgrade to the newer setup and then buy a short shifter from www.dieselgeek.com