AdBlue Heater Warranty Extended to 120,000 Miles

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Go figure. I just replaced the heater in my wife's Passat a few weeks ago before a long road trip, and today in the mail we received notification that the warranty for the AdBlue heater has been extended for:

Certain 2009-2016 Model Year Volkswagen Touareg 3.0L TDI (Engine Codes CATA & CNRB)
Certain 2012-2014 Model Year Volkswagen Passat 2.0L TDI (Engine Code CKRA)

For 10 years or 120,000 miles.

I'm going to attempt to get reimbursed for the heater I just installed, because why not. They'll probably deny the claim since the work wasn't done by a licensed dealer, but maybe I can get back what I paid for the part from a licensed dealer.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You should at least get reimbursed for the cost of parts, provided you have the proper documentation. If you had the work done at an independent shop, they should reimburse you for that labor, as well. To my knowledge, there is no requirement that the work must be done at a VW dealer.

We're waiting for the notice to come in the mail so that we can have our local VW dealer replace the AdBlue heater module.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Jimbo70: You should have a "Warranty Extension Reimbursement Request Form" in the same envelope. The form requests the "...name, address, and phone number of the repair facility that performed the work." Once you find the document, you should probably edit your post.

There is no mention of any requirement that the repair needed to be done by a VW dealership.

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
You should at least get reimbursed for the cost of parts, provided you have the proper documentation. If you had the work done at an independent shop, they should reimburse you for that labor, as well. To my knowledge, there is no requirement that the work must be done at a VW dealer.

We're waiting for the notice to come in the mail so that we can have our local VW dealer replace the AdBlue heater module.
Our letter came today. The wording is fairly specific. We'll see what they have to say.

-J
The wording is specific, but it doesn't cost anything to try and as long as I have some sort of documentation (I think I have the VAG-COM scan, along with the invoice for the part and a picture or two of me doing the work) maybe they'll decide that $230 is better than $1,230.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, you're trying to get reimbursed for your own labor time? That doesn't sound possible. Sorry.
Parts? do you have receipts? They'll pay you what you paid for them, right?

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Jimbo70: You should have a "Warranty Extension Reimbursement Request Form" in the same envelope. The form requests the "...name, address, and phone number of the repair facility that performed the work." Once you find the document, you should probably edit your post.

There is no mention of any requirement that the repair needed to be done by a VW dealership.
I had the document when I wrote the post. It says:

1. Please provide legible copies of receipts, invoices and/or repair orders and keep the originals for your records. Documents will not be returned. Documentation must include (emphasis mine):
- The name and address of the person who paid for the repair
- The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the repaired vehicle
- A description of the problem and what repair was done, and the name, address and phone number of the repair facility that performed the work.
- Proof of payment for the repair and date payment was made (cancelled check, bank statement, etc.)

They may accept DIY work, but my past experience with VWoA (including time as a dealer employee) tells me that they when in doubt, they deny the claim.

There is nothing to edit.

---

I called VW Care today to get clarification, but the hold time was 38 to 55 minutes so I bailed. It costs nothing but a stamp and some time to submit the clam, so I'll guinea pig it.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I misunderstood your initial post, that you were requesting to be reimbursed for your own labor time/parts replacement. Sorry about that.
...carry on...

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I misunderstood your initial post, that you were requesting to be reimbursed for your own labor time/parts replacement. Sorry about that.
...carry on...
No worries. I don't expect to be reimbursed for my labor, which is in fact priceless... :D

Just the part.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
This was a long time coming, given the numbers of people on here who have been replacing them. I'll keep an eye on the mail......

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
no letter, just like no clock spring coverage on my 2013. "certain 2012-2014" must only include ones built on Monday and Friday :mad:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
no letter, just like no clock spring coverage on my 2013. "certain 2012-2014" must only include ones built on Monday and Friday :mad:
Patience. Your vehicle should be part of this recall. Clockspring is a totally different issue.

lousyg

TDI
VW
I got the CEL for P202A earlier this year. I decided to hold off on a fix until the buyback stuff got sorted out.

Lo and behold, I passed 120k miles a few weeks ago...

When the CEL came on, I was closer to 100k miles. Of course, I really have no evidence to prove that (maybe a VAGCOM scan saved on my computer, but since that could be easily fabricated, I can't imagine they'd honor that).

Any idea if VW would cut me some slack since the failure happened pre-120k and/or since I'm so close to 120k (122,900 to be exact)?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<snip>

Any idea if VW would cut me some slack since the failure happened pre-120k and/or since I'm so close to 120k (122,900 to be exact)?
Unless you've got some way to document that, I'd give it a big NO.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^^I'm afraid I agree. VAG has to draw the line somewhere with all these extended warranties floating around. They're rather time/mileage specific.
I will offer that a good relationship with a dealership (oil changes, tires, balancing, etc) will go a long way toward "goodwill" replacement of some parts. I've had excellent experience over the past decade.
Of course, YMMV!

Azathoth

TDI
Passat
Just got my notice. This is the issue that tipped me into the buyback. 1500 miles out of warranty mine went bad. Thought with all the bad bad press from the emissions deal there would be no problem getting it a little goodwill coverage. HA! I pick up my new BMW Monday.

scottohackett

TDI
Is the adblue heater and temp sensory totally different? I had a code of P205C & P205B but it only says reductant tank temp sensor but I swear two years ago I remember them telling me it was the heater. Repair was about $700.00 but paperworks states replace adblue temp sensor

HAHA Never mind just looked at second page of paperwork. The order the sensor by accident now I found where they had to return it and replace with 561-198-970 which is the heater element. SWEET! I can use the extra $675.00

Last edited:

itsjimbob

TDI
2013 Passat
Nice surprise and just in time

Yep fully covered. I was ironically at the VW dealer today picking up my Tourag heater to put into my Passat ($350 vs $650) and stopped by the service desk to ask if the heaters would be fixed under the Dieselgate fixes. The lady there said no but it was now covered under a separate recall. She looked up my VIN and I am covered. I took the other heater back to the parts counter and got a refund. Funny part is I used the $500 goodwill parts card to pay for it and then threw it away. The cashier told me they could only credit that debit card. When I told her I didn't have it anymore she went and talked to the service manager and they gave me a non-expiring service credit. My next 2 or three oils changes will be free. The gal at the service desk told me she was very happy Volkswagen finally did the right thing because she has seen a lot of disappointed customers learn their heaters were not covered with 40-50K on their cars. This dealer plans to go back and notify owners who have paid the $1100 for the fix to submit for a full refund. Thats pretty good customer service. She was also very happy I am doing the fix and not abandoning the car with the buy back. She didn't say what it was but did say this dealership was planning to do something special for the customers who purchased from them and repair their cars their rather than sell them back. Even if it is a free oil change or a vehicle detail 'Ill take it.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
Got my letter, glad I waited but now it will be fixed before winter. Next question is how long until they do the same for the '15 Golf's (had one replaced under warranty, but the car was only a year old and 25k miles.)

Santa2ya

TDI
None
Wonder if VAG will refund me the $465 goodwill dealer money that I used to pay for a replacement heater (pump) this past February and the $140 I just spent mid August to diagnose a MIL?

Upon diagnosis of the Adblue heater failure in mid August we decided to park it based on the buyback details and the need for a 5th heater issue. All service except for the 40K trans service has been done at the same dealership.

I feel it is good that VAG is extending warranty for so many issues. At the same time I am horrified VAG has the need to. :eek: So much for "German Engineering" and a quality product.

DEAD-BROKE

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat TDI 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo-diesel
living in florida i doubt mine will ever go bad (lol yeah right ) but it is good to know it will be covered.

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Wonder if VAG will refund me the $465 goodwill dealer money that I used to pay for a replacement heater (pump) this past February and the $140 I just spent mid August to diagnose a MIL?

Upon diagnosis of the Adblue heater failure in mid August we decided to park it based on the buyback details and the need for a 5th heater issue. All service except for the 40K trans service has been done at the same dealership.

I feel it is good that VAG is extending warranty for so many issues. At the same time I am horrified VAG has the need to. :eek: So much for "German Engineering" and a quality product.

I'm going the same route, paid my dealer with the $500 goodwill card. On my receipt it shows a Visa transaction so I'm hoping they just issue me a check for $500 as a refund. I'm not sure how VAG would actually know if I paid with their Visa or one of mine. Either way, it was money that was issued to us to use at our discretion so I would think it should be refunded. We'll see...sending out my reimbursement paperwork tomorrow.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm going the same route, paid my dealer with the $500 goodwill card. On my receipt it shows a Visa transaction so I'm hoping they just issue me a check for $500 as a refund. I'm not sure how VAG would actually know if I paid with their Visa or one of mine. Either way, it was money that was issued to us to use at our discretion so I would think it should be refunded. We'll see...sending out my reimbursement paperwork tomorrow.
I think you are entitled to a refund under the terms of the recall, regardless of how you paid for it. Money is money.

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
You would think that any shop is acceptable to submit for reimbursement, Many owners are hours away from a dealer,, so it would be unthinkable to take a car in for every service

jolvi1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Had mine replaced under warranty, well at first they said they wouldn't dealer offered a discount on the part. Dealer also charged me $100.00 to diagnose CEL. I did have to have a discussion with VW about the Adblue tank and it was after the dieselgate issue. I asked the question what does the Adblue do? She stated that it cut down on pollution, well then she stated that it had no big effect on it. Well guess it did because she did eventually get back with me and had it replaced. Wonder if I should try and get my $100.00 back or just ignore it..

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I spoke with VW customer care this morning, seems that those of us with just a temp sensor failure are SOL. This warranty extension is only for the heater part of the assembly.

-J

WISCO

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I got my AdBlue Warranty Reimbursement letter from VAG and in typical VW fashion, they are being cheap because they can. For those that had the work done at an Indy, VW tells you that either the parts or labor were too much. In fact they state that:

- VW had to establish a standard rate
- Reimbursement based on standard labor rate time of authorized vw dealer
- Maximum reimbursement ammount for parts based on warranty prices for components

Funny because the parts (Adblue Heater and Control Module) were bought from VW (Bosch parts) and the labor only came to 4 hours. Even more funny the INDY (Bosch certified) repair cost $1,100 and the VW dealer cost was $1,700. The dealer also wanted the tank to go and I said 'NOPE.' Part of the reason I went to the Indy is that I had zero confidence in the dealer technicians.

Long story short I don't know what I'm getting reimbursed, but my best guess is they will reimburse right in the range of $500 - 700. That means two hours labor and the current price of the heater - $400ish.

Still better than a sharp poke in the eye. I'm surprised Mercedes and Ford haven't had a recall on the heater as well. They use the same Bosch component.