replaced fuel filter now car takes forever to start.

Bdpprocessors

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 jetta tdi 5 speed
today i replaced the fuel filter. after a few minutes of cranking i got the car running and it runs fine but now it takes atleast 5 seconds to start every time i start it.

i do have a vag com but i'm not sure what to test (i just got it a few days ago and am still trying to learn how to use it)

any ideas???

chirishboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
Did you prime the filter?? You need to make sure and prime the filter or it will cause you headaches and hurt your pump...

While the car is running, check your fuel lines running to the car and see how many bubbles you have in the lines

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
bleed off the injectors and check all the clamps and connections especially the O rings in the filter

Bdpprocessors

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 jetta tdi 5 speed
i did bleed the injectors to get it started. like i said i drove 60 miles right after i changed it so any air left in the fuel system should have been sucked through the injectors already. atleast thats how it works in my powerstroke

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
hmpf :confused:

well I guess the next thing to do would be check the O rings, I've had a few that would unroll as they were inserted, replace the spring clamps with good clamps, gear clamps ore OK but there are better one out there

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
Check your fuel line connections toward the back of the motor. You might have knocked something loose, had that problem in a B-4 Passat. Would crank for a long time as the fuel was draining back to the tank.