2012 Passat HID DIY Install

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Folx,

to clarify, this is the kit to get (subject to one's color temp preferences): http://uspmotorsports.com/product_info.php?products_id=632{98}342

AND

it includes the "bulb adapters" so that use of dremel is no longer required ?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Compu 85 and VeeDubTDI are practically neighbors of mine, hence the request to order together.
I didn't intend to start a group buy. Sorry. Next time, I'll phone them...or PM them...

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Also, they talk about disabling DRL after the install - but since in Passats we have *dedicated* DRL bulbs - do we need to disable the DRL ?

I reckon need to disable DRL is only for the cars that put the *regular* beam light bulbs in half-power for DRL, as opposed to cars like ours that use dedicated DRL bulbs instead ?

Niner

duplicate account, banned
compu 85: Thanks for the clarification. Now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense that a photo of a light would have issues.

Hmmm...don't press that "Buy it Now" button until you talk to me...maybe you/we can get a discount if you buy 2 sets? I'm seriously considering it...
So now it's about being neighborly, not the discount? :D ;)

Niner

Anyone have any ideas about how the heat of a regeneration might affect the life of the the electronics/ballasts under the hood of a Passat TDI? Just asking if it might be a factor in longevity of the lighting system.

ValveCoverGasket

Veteran Member
TDI
colorado duramax, 1z vanagon, tdi touareg
Anyone have any ideas about how the heat of a regeneration might affect the life of the the electronics/ballasts under the hood of a Passat TDI? Just asking if it might be a factor in longevity of the lighting system.

i wouldnt worry about it... you can be certain that everything that could have been affected was designed with this in mind

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Looks like lots of interest in this retrofit... just got off the phone with Niner.

We're gonna go ahead and get the 4300K kit and see what that looks like, although I really liked the color of the 6000K kit. We're also going to get some brighter high beam lamps - probably PIAA or something. I think with the increased output of the low beams, the high beams will look a little wimpy on dark back roads.

I think the install can be done without dremeling any plastic or cutting any wires, but that's Jason's area of expertise, so I'll wait for his write-up. :cool:

Regarding group buy, I don't think we'll get any sort of discount... just order at your convenience.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Someone on another forum mentioned a good point... when the HIDs start up they draw a lot of power... probably 15 amps or so. The halogen lamps are under 5. It looks like the Chinese market cars have the HIDs going right to the body control module so I don't think it's a huge issue in this case, but is something to keep in mind.

-J

eprater1

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI w/DSG(transmission failed w/800 miles on it) 2012 Passat SE w/Sunroof -65k traded in on 2013 Passat TDI SE w/Sunroof 2006 Ford F350 on 37's, few things deleted, little methanol injection, few things modded, few more filters added :)
Me too, Group buy. I'd be in for the 6000k version. Have them drop shipped.

Thought you didn't believe in HIDs, wheels, stereos, ect? ;) Seems like even you are starting to see the benefit of the aftermarket. Hope your install goes well and heat doest effect the ballast, keep us posted.

Last edited:

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Got me a 4300K set (see the link I shared above). Install is very easy. I used piercing clips that come with the kit, as opposed to soldering. Kit comes with bulb retainers/adapters - so you don't have to mess with stock ones at all.

About the only thing worth mentioning is how to immobilize the bulbs within the adapters as you insert the whole thing in and twist it to lock. I ended up jamming the ends of the bulbs inside of the adapters with pieces of Styrofoam that I later removed.

If u are result oriented :) should not take more than 30 mins to install . You mix a six pack in there and then there's no telling

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
What do you think about the 4300K color temperature?

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Me likes ... didn't want to look like one of dem boy racers with 6000K :)

Niner

Would really like to see a set of 4300k lights installed and pics compared to standard halogen bulbs. I just might go for it, for the extra light it would afford these old eyes.

Niner

In a leap of blind faith, I ordered a set of 4300k... don't know what came over me when I got the nerve to push that order button. $116 poorer, but if it keeps me out of an accident driving at night, it's a net gain.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Niner, go for it. The 4300 don't look bluish to me at all. Install is very easy, no perm mods are made to the car, set of 2 replacement bulbs cost $25 on Amazon, whats not to like (compare that to D2S/D2R ). Complete HID set is $99 from USP ... I think I forgot to apply the 5% or 10% coupon.

The light output is most remarkable, you will love it

Niner

Niner, go for it. The 4300 don't look bluish to me at all. Install is very easy, no perm mods are made to the car, set of 2 replacement bulbs cost $25 on Amazon, whats not to like (compare that to D2S/D2R ). Complete HID set is $99 from USP ... I think I forgot to apply the 5% or 10% coupon.

The light output is most remarkable, you will love it

Done deal, credit card already took the hit.

What is the most sanitized way to pierce the rubber cover on back to pull the wiring through for the ballasts? I don't want moisture getting in through the back. Small X cuts with a razor blade?

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Drilling soft rubber aint gonna give one anything that looks like a nice round hole. A punch would work much better.

Lotsa folx assume that inside of HID assys needs to be hermetically sealed, but it most cases she aint. I'd seal with a caulk, but in my case, I did a cut with a knife, let the wires through and kept it at that.

Coffeemade

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Prem
very tiny razor blade cut and then use some needle nose pliers to force it open so you can slide the connector and then take a little pliers out and then take a drop of silicone sealant to cover up the hole. Forgot to put that in the DIY.

MaynardLD50

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I wish someone lived near Chicago to help me with this :( I'm terrified of doing anything to my car. I can build a computer and do anything to an electronic, but when it comes to modding a car I'm terrified.

Niner

I wish someone lived near Chicago to help me with this :( I'm terrified of doing anything to my car. I can build a computer and do anything to an electronic, but when it comes to modding a car I'm terrified.
I bet if you had a set of lights and attended TDIFest in Ypsilanti, MI, Matt98AHU could do it for you, like just before Fall, short days, and long nights. It will be done right, he's a guru, but I don't think he works for beer anymore. PM him if you are interested.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
Niner - u got 'em installed yet ? Betcha those "old eyes" are much happier now and will be even more so as days begin to shorten.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I don't think Niner's kit is due to arrive until Tuesday. I'm looking forward to some pics, too!

We have decided to order the XE+ kit due to good recommendations from Coffeemade and the lifetime guarantee (compared to USP's one year).