Activate Bluetooth Audio? Activate Bluetooth Audio? Activate Bluetooth Audio? Activat

SRPumpelly

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Is anyone else getting a message to activate bluetooth audio every time you breathe near you iphone. I had this issue with both the stock 9W2 and the 9W7 and I am getting sick of it. Is there a fix?

2010 JSW.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
i never had an issue when i did have my iphone. have you tried all the usual fixes. restarting iphone, or backing up and reloading iphone?

SRPumpelly

TDI
I'm sorry, I was a bit unclear. The message pops up on the RNS-510 display. I turn bluetooth off in the settings menu but I am prompted to turn it back on every time I touch the phone. Is there a way to permanently shut it down?

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tip (gasser)
...I turn bluetooth off in the [iPhone's] settings menu but I am prompted to turn it back on [by the iPhone] every time I touch the phone. Is there a way to permanently shut down [the Bluetooth in the iPhone]?
Are my edits in your last post correct? I see what you describe as an iPhone setup problem that is unrelated to the RNS-510.

Have you tried any other phone with the RNS-510?

SRPumpelly

TDI
No. Replace all "iphone"s with "RNS-510".

The message pops up on the RNS-510 display. I turn bluetooth AUDIO off in the settings menu of the RNS-510 but I am prompted by ther RNS-510 to turn it back on every time I touch the iphone. Is there a way to permanently shut the bluetooth AUDIO down?

And no, I have not tried any other phones.

Last edited:

StewartinND

TDI
'17 328d Sportswagon
I'm not an iphone guy however on my droid I'm able to select what kind of connection I want. The rns is seeing a media conection from your phone thus the activation request. Limit your bluetooth connection to phone audio only and that should fix the problem.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Which iPhone and which iPhone OS?

I firmly believe that iOS 4.0x and/or the iPhone 4 have BT issues. My iPhone 4 will randomly disconnect from the 9W3 module and then connect back up, all while the phone is sitting there idle.

JRide

TDI
2012 GTI
I had this problem last week. Every time I would touch my iPhone4 it would prompt me to activate the BT audio. I got sick of it I activated the BT auido and no more message. Any reason why you don't want this activated?

I know I was hesitant to turn this option on because in my F-150 it would start playing music through BT audio despite me turning the auto play feature off.

SRPumpelly

TDI
When you activate the BT Audio you no longer have access to the ipod through the RNS-510. You have to use the iphone. Therefore I would like to leave it off and not have it prompt me 18 times an hour.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
The newly released iOS 4.1 states that there are some BT updates. Maybe this will resolve this issue and other issues that people are speaking of.

sudseh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 4door
I had the same problem (Nexus One), and ended up just enabling BT audio, and then turning off BT audio on the phone itself. This works most of the time, but resets itself when the phone pairs (maybe at a different time, but I have to re-do this disablement a lot).

I would really like some resolution to this as well.

Krfar

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 CandyWhite JSW TDI DSG, NAV & Pano
You might want to reset RNS510 and then reestablish the BT connectivity in your preferred manner. This is obviously a software glitch. A number of people have reported problems with their iPhone. Also, this may not apply in your case but 9W2 and 9W7 BT modules have internal antennas and 9W3 has an external antennas that is sold separately and without it there is definitely a problem. I have the 9W3 with the antenna and have had no issue with the iPod running OS 4 or my Blackberry Curve.

Is anyone else getting a message to activate bluetooth audio every time you breathe near you iphone. I had this issue with both the stock 9W2 and the 9W7 and I am getting sick of it. Is there a fix?

2010 JSW.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I can confirm this issue isn't limited to the RNS-510.

I have the RCD-510 and I have my Epic 4G android phone on bluetooth. While I have it in navigation mode, every time the voice speaks, the RCD-510 prompts me to activate BT audio. I hit cancel every time, but it keeps coming back.

This unfortunately causes a secondary problem. If I have BT turned paired, then I won't hear the verbal the phone says. But if I turn off BT audio to hear directions, then I no can no longer use the hands free.

I'm hoping to find a way to make the changes to the phone so that it doesn't default to playing every single sound through BT audio once the phone is paired to a BT device.

I feel this is an issue with both the radios and the phones. The radios shouldn't prompt every time and the phones should have the settings to limit what device is assigned to play the audio.

sudseh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 4door
the phones should have the settings to limit what device is assigned to play the audio.
The NexusOne does have that capability, and whenever I need directions, I have to go into the BT phone options and disable the Media.
Crude, but effective (until someone figures out the vcds edit to disable BT Media in the module).

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
The NexusOne does have that capability, and whenever I need directions, I have to go into the BT phone options and disable the Media.
Crude, but effective (until someone figures out the vcds edit to disable BT Media in the module).
Unfortunately there is no such option in my phone. It's either all or nothing.

Parva

TDI
Now have a '13 Beetle Turbo, had a '10 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Bluetooth Audio seems to not be available with my new iPhone 4G.

With my old iPhone 3G, it worked XLNT. That is, it worked wirelessly and activated the BT Audio touch-screen button -- now, I can only playback [for example, Pandora] on the the phone & through the RCD-510 with the iPod media function.

As background, the car is a '10 JSW TDi I assume w/ the 9W2 interface.

I really like having the ability to stream all apps directly into the stereo. Now, the functionality is there, but only in the MDI mode... not bluetooth audio.

Suggestions, solutions??

Parva

TDI
Now have a '13 Beetle Turbo, had a '10 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Bluetooth Audio seems to not be available with my new iPhone 4G.
With my old iPhone 3G, it worked XLNT. That is, it worked wirelessly and activated the BT Audio touch-screen button -- now, I can only playback [for example, Pandora] on the the phone & through the RCD-510 with the iPod media function.
As background, the car is a '10 JSW TDi I assume w/ the 9W2 interface.
I really like having the ability to stream all apps directly into the stereo. Now, the functionality is there, but only in the MDI mode... not bluetooth audio.
Suggestions, solutions??
RESOLVED by simply re-pairing the iPhone 4. After pairing my wife's 3GS & everything worked 100%; decided to retry mine.
AKA... nevermind ;-)