please help. Temp warning

incipienz

Hi guys,

I have a 53 plate golf gt tdi 150

very cold tonight. Car been lying for a few days. (0 degrees outside)
Started car within a few seconds 3 warning tones and "STOP" check coolant level.Temp gauge flashing. switched off immediatley. Checked service book. Have I killed my beautiful car!?:confused:

incipienz

Could it just be the cold thats retracted the solution? I plan to buy some G12 coolant 2mw and add some mineral water. Will this fix it?

incipienz

Hiya

i did it's very hard to see in the dark with a torch though. Think it's just on the min. read some other forums and some say it's a common problem in the winter and it goes away...Any thoughts?

zanyman

TDI
2002 Beetle TDI
If the reservoir has an acceptable fill level, then you may have a sensor issue. Where are you located? You could update your profile with that info. Also, what mix of G12/distilled water are you using?
Have you checked for leaks (puddles), etc.?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Try adding some distilled water to the expansion tank. Also take the lid off and look inside with the torch.. that should let you see where the coolant level is (only do this with a cold engine though)

-Jason

brucep

Veteran Member
TDI
peebs4u2
This is a VERY common issue.... but not a "problem". The antifreeze contracts when it gets cold (6th grade science!) This lowers the level just enough to cause the sensor to think the antifreeze is low for a few minutes until the heat makes it expand and satisfy the sensor.

Add less than a cup of distilled water to fix it. (If you want to add more than that... use G12 antifreeze)

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
Mine showed that problem a few days ago when it dropped to 10 F here.

I added a little G12, but then decided it was too full and took some out with a turkey baster.

This moring it was the same warning light. Its not low on coolant though. Went away when the engine got warm.

Just a bad sensor you think? I have about 25k on my o4 Jetta.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
If you are leaking coolant, you might have a problem with the EGR cooler.