Replaced heater core 2000 Beetle

vwdieseling

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, more bugs
I replaced my heater core this weekend. Started Sunday finished Monday. It was an emergency. I hate those blend door cables. I removed the HVAC box that contained the core itself. I know why they charge 850.00 to do it. By passed the AC and Steering wheel removal sections. The box was filled with coolant. I think the Beetle is harder than the Jetta. Went with a Specter premium heater core had to do an AutoZone quick buy. 10 hours and with my aftermarket gauges a little longer because they are mounted on the dashboard. Next project new rear shock mount and bump stop. I would say a number 10 on the pain in the %$## scale.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
I agree we did our Golf = 2 days.. PITA scale 10-11. But the lack of G12 smell is really nice.

I suggest that you look and the coolant overflow canister. If it is has soot you will probable need a new head gasket. The heater core is a weak link in the system. Pressure leaking past the head gasket over pressures the core is as you can see is flimsy st best.

vwdieseling

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, more bugs
I agree we did our Golf = 2 days.. PITA scale 10-11. But the lack of G12 smell is really nice.

I suggest that you look and the coolant overflow canister. If it is has soot you will probable need a new head gasket. The heater core is a weak link in the system. Pressure leaking past the head gasket over pressures the core is as you can see is flimsy st best.

My coolant was clean. This problem had been ongoing, I let it go. The car had been jumped by a deer that landed on the windshield. I replaced the windshield and driver side mirror where the deer slid off the car. I believe that that's what put stress on the core after the impact jolt. I've seen the 2.0 L gassers do the same as far as the heater cores going bad. Mine has over 300,000 miles on it. I will check the coolant again, the last compression check I did was good with 500 psi across the deck. I ran UV dye through it two months ago looking for the leak. If there had been any compression gasses leaking it seems it would have showed up in that stuff. A head gasket leak is not what I need at this time. I have a CSI leak down tester, I should probably do that. I'm in the process of doing an engine swap on my 1984 Rabbit with another 1.6 diesel. I'm strapped for cash and time.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
This is interesting information. I did not replace the coolant bottle in my TT during the engine swap, so I'm wondering if the soot in my coolant bottle came from a prior failure or from the current motor's head gasket leaking. The last thing I want is the heater core in the TT popping - who knows how expensive that'll be. What's the best way to determine if there's a problem? Has anyone tried venting the coolant bottle at a certain pressure?

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
VW seems extra sinister on heater cores.

Check your reatr axle beam bushings as they normally fail around here after like 100k or so and the rear shock mounts rarely fail. And if you've never heard the beam clunk before your first guess is shock mounts - like my first guess was.

vwdieseling

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, more bugs
VW seems extra sinister on heater cores.

Check your reatr axle beam bushings as they normally fail around here after like 100k or so and the rear shock mounts rarely fail. And if you've never heard the beam clunk before your first guess is shock mounts - like my first guess was.
I have seen the gassers heater cores fail before after 200,000. Yes it is my rear driver side shock mount. I replaced rear shocks a year ago and thought I would save by not replacing the bump stop. The mount is a Replacement brand mount. I checked spring cup and the spring is tight. Just a clunk when I hit a bump. FYI I installed SENSEN shocks when I replaced the original Sachs. I'll check the bushings. Sorry, I jumped on your post, could be a bushing.

Last edited:

vwdieseling

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, more bugs
This is interesting information. I did not replace the coolant bottle in my TT during the engine swap, so I'm wondering if the soot in my coolant bottle came from a prior failure or from the current motor's head gasket leaking. The last thing I want is the heater core in the TT popping - who knows how expensive that'll be. What's the best way to determine if there's a problem? Has anyone tried venting the coolant bottle at a certain pressure?

Do a compression check, or a leak down test. Mines clean, but at the current rate of the way things have been going it is not out of the spectrum of possibilities. The old 1.6 IDI should be changed at about every 100,000 miles.

vwdieseling

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, more bugs
The heater core failed at under 60k on my '98 2.0 beetle. I agree it is a 12+ on a scale of 1-10.

I've seen heater cores fail for no apparent reason. I detest Fords for that reason. But it is just me, and not of any real reasoning. I don't think compression gasses could rupture a heater core per se. But it could be possible. The heater core is located on the highest point of the cooling system. I know cores can rupture by impact. The impact breaks the aluminum welds, also being plugged with excessive pressure breaking the welds. Thats why compression gasses could cause a rupture. I never seen that, but they do bubble in the reserve with a blown head gasket, I've seen many a gasser do that with blown head gasket. Never saw it take out the heater core, but there is always a first. One test method for a blown head gasket is monitering gas emissions from the coolant reserve.

vwdieseling

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, more bugs
Did a leak down test, shows no head gasket leakage. Also pressure tested cooling system, no sudden drop in pressure when starting engine.