replaced OEM 17" ContiProContacts with 17" Michelin Priamcy MXM4's

A8540TDI

TDI
Golf Mk VI TDI, 335d
As a BMW owner, I can attest to the awfulness of runflat tires! Harsh, noisy, fast wearing and expensive. On my Golf TDI, the original tires were replaced with Continental DWS 235/45-17. The slight oversize mostly corrected the optimistic speedometer and the DWS ride better and are quieter. I'll be heading north soon, so may get to test their "light snow" capabilities!

VDUB_TDI_2004

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Conti DWS on order for Saturday

I decided to go with the Conti DWS at Discount Tire. Just under $700 out the door. I had these on an old 94 BMW 525 wagon and that was a BEAST! Maybe next round of shoes will be the MXM4.

Just wanted to say Thanks for all the advice and comments. Thats why I check this site daily. :D

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
When I went to the mxm4s on my 06 Jetta right before I totaled it, I thought that was a awesome tire overall. When these oem tires wear down I'll get the mxm4s again.

SomeJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6m
Ahhh, glad that someone dug this up. I was going to dig and see what people thought about going to an even taller tire. Im looking at the MXM4s here in the next month or 2 and am looking at going with a 225/55R17 setup on my portos. But not sure if it would be too tall. Has anyone tried this tall of a tire on a jsw without changing the suspension? I really could use the extra 1inch ride height with the roads i have to travel.

And thanks for the link kazin! That is a good price.

Thanks,
J

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Ahhh, glad that someone dug this up. I was going to dig and see what people thought about going to an even taller tire. Im looking at the MXM4s here in the next month or 2 and am looking at going with a 225/55R17 setup on my portos. But not sure if it would be too tall. Has anyone tried this tall of a tire on a jsw without changing the suspension? I really could use the extra 1inch ride height with the roads i have to travel.

And thanks for the link kazin! That is a good price.

Thanks,
J
I am running MXM4's in size 225-50-18 with no suspension changes, a tight fit but OK. I did it not for ride height, but to offset the DSG gearing somewhat.

rob c

TDI
2011 sportwagen dsg
I also hated the OEM continentals. Especially horrible in the snow. Slight uphill + lots of torque = spinning the tires... OK let's see if I can do this start in 3rd gear.....

Got the gmax aprx. 10k miles ago. Terrific tires in every sense. Also even though categorized as ultra high performance, they perform quite well in snow (only tried in apex 4" so far - waiting for a bigger storm).

OEM tires in the basement with maybe 10-15k tread left. May not be able to bring myself to ever put them back on.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
I wiash I would have seen that 89 each before I paid 670 for a set.

is that legit?

edit - 90V?

90V isnt the proper rating - nor the one I have on my tire. Mine is 91H

If these are 90V theyre an OEM tire, and not built to the same spec as the 91H, as far as I know. I oculd be wrong.

Mine primacys are sitting in the garage. Im trying to grind the last bit out of the OEM contis before putting them on, probably in the spring.

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
The car came with 17" silver Goal wheels wrapped in Continental ContiProContacts. Awful tires.... I was torn between trying a different set of 17's, or whether I should ditch the Goal wheels and get a set of VW 16" wheels. Was it the tire, or was it simply the wheel size?
Yes it is partially due to the rim size. Metal weights more than air and some rubber sidewall. More rolling mass means a very small change in MPG. However most people make the swap to new rim size at the same time as going from worn rubber to new rubber.... that is a factor.

Well, I went with a new set of 17" Michelin Primacy MXM4's. And I'm glad I did. They are a great tire. HUGE improvement over the ContiProContacts. Smooth and quiet, although not quite as quiet as a 16"........ One downside is that I lost 2mpg when I went back to the 17's.
I have 17" Goals with Michelin Primacy MXM4's. You really did not lose 2 mpg because of the tire make/brand difference, at least not all of it. You will lose about/approx, 1%-2% going from any worn out tires to new tires, same rim. 16" to 17" rims might lose another precent or so. On a TDI you can expect going from worn to new tires on same rims to lose 0.5-1.0 MPG. Why? Weight, new tires are wrapped in new deep tread; it's heavier. Second diameter - As your car tires wears, it not only gets lighter, the diameter gets smaller, so speed-O is reading un-conservative now. You are going further than it shows, therefore lower MPG. Yes due to drag (grip) of new tires vs. old, due to different brand compound or tread design, could scrub a little mileage, but not 2 mpg. Tire rack does side-by-side comparison of similar NEW tires and you will see very small differences.... Due to their short duration of their tests on a race track, driver variables, you have to take all MPG differences with a grain of salt. There are differences but not likely to make 2 mpg as a single factor.

I lost some MPG going from Hankook 16" to 17" (Goal Rims) Michelin Primacy MXM4's. Also it was summer/spring going to winte/ fall, so time of year, driving habits all had an effect on my MPG. Bottom line, I am happy with the 17" look but will likely go back to 16" when these wear out (in about 5 years if I still own the car).

As far as noise, the new Michelin's are acceptable, but the ride did get more harsh from the 16" to 17" Hankook to Michelin. Big buckles or potholes in the road (I avoid like the plague) are not pretty if I hit them, where 16" rims and rubber is less jolting and harsh. Also rim rash is more likely with 17".

I had 4 sets of Michelin's on my Mk4 Golf, and they were all excellent tires, so I've been a fan of Michelin's. They're more expensive tires, but worth it, in my opinion.
I am going to agree and disagree. Yes they are quality and made in North America (USA and Canada). Regardless the South Korea/South Asia tires are pretty darn good values, offer a lot of bang or miles for the bucks, with decent performance. When you by Michelin or Contentntal or Firestone or Goodyear you are paying for the name, and even some of these brands use imports with their branding (I think). Also more expensive tires can get nails and unrepairable road damage as easily as cheap tires. It might be a better move to buy cheaper tires with extended road damage insurance? Anyway these are my first Michelin's, glad I got them. I paid $170 each with free shipping no tax. I was able to finagle free mount and balance from the VW dealer who OWED me.... (They got even and mounted two of them on backwards, Doha!) If I would have paid to mount and balance it would have been +$30 a tire. So total is $200 per tire.... All local Michelin dealers wanted +$240 mounted and balanced. There is NO WAY I would have paid that, if there was not a lower price mail order option. I have had great luck with Discount Tires Falken brand. In the 225/45R-17 size there are four Falken's from $86, $96, $114 and $124.... That is a lot cheaper than $170, and again they are nice looking, quiet, good handling tires... I moved and there are no Discount Tires locally.

I'm just saying this because there are MANY brands and models of tires; there are no BEST.... I never was a "name brand" hound. I could care less about name brands. (BTW the OEM VW Hankooks that came with my car were decent tires for +50K miles, and they still had +15K miles remaining when I took them off. Got $80 selling them on craigslist. :) ) I do like value and quality. The Falken's I put on my old Acura Legend Coupe made a night and day difference to the car. Don't get Michelin blinders on. With that said, you can't go wrong with Michelin man, but don't expect miracles. They are just tires after-all. I suspect after spending a grand on tires, people tend to project their desire to justify the money. Some people hate OEM tire choices, just because they assume they are bad or cheap, when in fact they can be quite decent, chosen carefully and a good fit for the car. I considered getting another set of Hankook, but they were not cheap. There is a mind boggling array of choices in brands and models, not to mention deciding to go with 15", 16", 17" or 18" rims..... (20" spinners anyone, ha ha).

Last edited:

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I just order a set of the MXM4's yesterday to replace my OEM tires they lasted 52 K so I can not complain but I am looking forward to a better tire, tire rack cost yesterday for the 17's were $154 a tire, plus del, and I get a $70!prepaid Visa card. They are made in the USA and I am sure that may have added a few $$$$$ to each tire but I am ok with that. I have put Michelin's on most of my cars and have not been disappointed yet, not cheap but to me worth it. Based on the reviews here I am sure the MXM4 will be a great tire.

BITRBO

TDI
'09 JSW DSG
I am running MXM4's in size 225-50-18 with no suspension changes, a tight fit but OK. I did it not for ride height, but to offset the DSG gearing somewhat.
Hey RNDDUDE, I know this thread is a bit old and not sure if you ever get a chance to see this, but do you happen to have any pics (the more the better!) of your JSW running the 225-50-18 w/ 18" Goals? I just picked up a set of 18" Goals for my JSW (to replace my 17" Goals) and I am looking at tires, but still undecided on what's the most profile/height that looks OK. Luke @ TireRack told me I can't go more than a 40-series tire on a 225 width (with an 18" wheel) as it will conflict with the uprights in the front. He said to stick with a 225-40-18 if I can.

On another note: Anyone have experience with the Bridgestone RE97AS by chance? I know I'm going to take a little bit of a hit on ride quality with the new 18's, so I'm leaning towards either a Standard or Grand Touring All-Season, and as tall as I can get (225-45?)... My other priorities (in order, after ride-quality) are noise, longevity, and mpg. I do about 50/50% city/highway, and don't normally have a heavy foot, so I'm not too worried about the mpg. I just want a SOFT/COMFORTABLE, QUIET tire that will last 40-50k and not kill my mileage too bad.

Thx!