Are these HIDs?

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II

MSRP: $449.50
Your Price: $427.02
Code: 75113
Headlamp conversion, VW Golf IV look angle eye look from In-Pro, includes both left and right lights. The latest in function and styling lights for your Golf IV. This upgrade set has the Xenon opitical look including the "angel eye" ring and includes fog lights.

Shipping Weight:30.00 pounds

web page

I really like these. Are these good? Can any of the vendors get these for a lower price or is the price good already? Does any body have any info or comments on these?

What the hell does this mean:
"This upgrade set has the Xenon opitical look"

LowlyOilBurner

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDi
Those kinda suck. A friend of mine has those guys. The "angel eye" is not real fiber optics, looks kinda cheap. As far as HID goes, keep your stock lights, get an HID conversion. I picked up a McColloh(sp?) set up (5300k bulbs, balast and igniters) and is is THE BEST MOD i've done for my car, honsetly, it should have been the first thing i ever did to the car. I don't even need to use my high beams anymore, and i don't blind on coming drivers either. Really nice bluish/white light output. This is with the N/A enclosures, not even E-codes or anything fancy.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I saw this web page for these and other MK IV lights for a lot cheaper. It has all MKIV styles. Are these at least e-codes? OR at least better lighting than stock?

web page

Mk4 Golf Projector Headlamp w/ Angel Eyes, Chrome
Code: VW101
Price:$389.99
Shipping Weight: 20.00 pounds
Glass Lense, Fits without modification to wiring or core
support. (Angel eyes require custom wiring to parking light
circuit) Golf 4 headlamps use H7 bulbs for low and high beam
and H3 bulbs for fogs. Bulbs are not included. For cars that
came without foglights you will need a foglight wiring harness
and factory foglight switch. Call for any information about
installation inquiries.

I hope they wouldn't be crap. What kind of beam pattern can come out of the "zenon" lens if it isn't a zenon light?

LowlyOilBurner

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDi
does not really matter. The xenon lens will throw the light differently, if you have HID's. (more focused beam). I'm telling you, keep your stock headlight enclosures and get an HID conversion, it works fine. Having a projector lens or E-code housings will better enhance the HID's output, thats about it, but the stock enclosure works fine.

Darren_J

Veteran Member
TDI
MK 4 TDI
I don't want to sound like Granny pointing her finger at you but everthing I have read on Vortex and experienced first-hand would suggest that HID conversions in a DOT lens is the worst match you could possibly do in terms of creating a glare machine for other drivers. There is just too much scattered light above the hoodline. E-codes on the other hand are a far better, but not perfect match for a HID kit. If you get a chance you should upgrade to E-codes, other drivers will thank you for it and you will see a huge difference as well.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I already have e-codes but i havent installed them, I actually am contemplating selling them so I could get these. But if these suck, then I will stick with the e-codes. I do like the way they look though. What is in volved in a HID conversion?

LowlyOilBurner

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDi
HID conversion is super easy. You obviously need to get a kit. Its a two wire job. You splice the + and - from your stock lowbeam connector onto the + and - coming off the balast. The balast's and igniter need to be mounted somewhere, easy. The bulb has 2 wires coming off it that plug into the igniter/balast. The hardest part is drilling a hole thru the bulb cover on the back of the headlight enclosure. It all should be water tight to, to prevent problems, but you get the idea.

As far as blinding people, no way! I have had these on for a little over a month, and not one person has flashed me. I used to get flashed with my non-HID lights before. I also used to have E-code in my Audi 200, and got flashed at and pulled over all the time for those, again, no HID's in there. If you do have E-codes for the Golf and go HID, you will be sure happy, it throws the light better and has a more concentrated beam too, so thats a good thing.

Darren_J

Veteran Member
TDI
MK 4 TDI
As far as blinding people, no way! I have had these on for a little over a month, and not one person has flashed me.
Of course they haven't flashed you, they're too busy trying to keep the car on the road while driving blind
I think the Golf OEM's are a bit better then the Jetta in beam pattern to begin with. The Jetta is absolutely horrid, half the light is upstairs.

LowlyOilBurner

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDi
lol!!!!
yeah, i think you are right...but i never have any issues with that...maybe i have e-codes? by some factory mistake? who knows? no issues to date.