Happy with Emissions Fix on TDI Jetta SportWagen 2014 2.0

lwoll

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen
Happy with Emissions Fix on TDI Jetta SportWagen 2014 2.0??

Wondering if anyone has had the fix done on a TDI jetta sportswagen 2.0 or another car that has the same fix? Mine is from 2014. Have you noticed more than a 3 mph change? Does the car drive any differently? Would you chose the fix again? Thanks so much.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Happy with the fix

I'm happy with the fix. The car feels a bit zippier, if anything, and makes a bit more noise. The diesel mileage is about the same, as far as I can tell at this point (~1500 miles since fix).( Update: average consumption for 2017 was 34.8 mpg. Average for the first five refills after the fix is 34.4 mpg.)
The DPF cracked shortly after the fix, so the car now has a new DPF and EGR filter. I drove a 2015 GSW TDI as a loaner, which seemed surprisingly lifeless, until I realized it's geared 15% longer. Somehow I had overlooked that being mentioned before; or maybe it wasn't mentioned? That cured any remaining doubts regarding fix vs buyback + buying a 'new' 2015.
Regenerations have been spaced farther apart than before the fix, but the pattern is still a bit irregular.
Added: the 'S' mode shift pattern is now more useable in my opinion; it no longer stays in a low gear at low load unnecessarily. Before it would rev above 3000 RPM even if your foot was already mostly off the throttle. I think the 'D' mode shift points got a bit sportier in exchange, but I'm not sure. But 'S' mode is definitely more useable for me after the fix.
And a comment on mileage: my lifetime average is 36 mpg, so I never got those 40+ mpg 600 miles tanks like other people. My average has also been dropping slightly over the years, probably due to highway speeds increasing from 70 to 80 mph in the Chicago area ( not that I would ever go that fast).
I'm perfectly happy with the 36 mpg, given the speed and performance I'm getting out of the car.

Last edited:

lilsmokey

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
I am unhappy with the Fix. 2014 JSW with DSG. 36k miles. Driven about 3-4 thousand miles since fix. I used to be able to get 41 mpg steadily, best was 43 before the fix. Post fix mpg has dropped to a best of 37 mpg on all highway. I even got one tank at 27 mpg but that was all city traffic, but still I have never achieved that low before. But 35 to 36 seems to be the new norm. At 35 mpg, a gasser is almost better now.
It drives fine, no noticeable noise or performance issues except for two exceptions. The first which is almost dangerous, is there is a delay in throttle response from low speeds. When the accelerator is pressed there is a noticeable delay in takeoff, you can almost count to two before it goes. Once it goes, the car goes, but in quick acceleration lane change or get out of trouble, not possible anymore. I have also noticed that on the highway any slight incline the car will downshift, which I find extremely annoying. But that is also what I get for my wife refusing to get a manual gearbox.

dyehead

TDI
2013 Q7 Prestige
Your acceleration delay is exactly what I’ve been complaining about on my ‘13 Q7 since the day I got the fix. It is dangerous to not have the throttle response that you were used to. My workaround has literally been to move my seat forward so I press the gas further with the same foot pressure ( you have to press a lot harder on the gas for similar performance as before)

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I have not noticed a significant difference in throttle response.

I always found 'D' mode a bit sluggish for stop-and-go traffic (or, putting a positive spin on it, always found it conducive to a more relaxed attitude in stop-and-go traffic), but 'S' mode kept RPMs high even when not needed. I'm happier with 'S' mode now that it doesn't keep the car at higher RPMs during coasting. In 'D' mode I have not noticed an increase in sluggishness, maybe the opposite, but if there is a difference it seems pretty subtle.

You should take into account that my mpg average for last year was just below 35 mpg, so my 'gas foot' might be heavier than average.

I have observed a few (2-5 total over 2000 miles) hiccups at constant throttle at highway speed, accompanied by a spike in requested vs measured manifold pressure. I'm assuming emissions control is doing something, and a transition didn't work out as smooth as intended. There is a lot more high EGT3 readings now than before the fix, probably leading to a lot more 'on-the-go' regeneration of the DPF. (I don't want to call it 'passive', since there might be extra (late cycle) fuel injection going on.)

Last edited: