OBD2 Lock - VW Maintenance Visit

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
I just got back from the final visit to BMW Volkswagen of Topeka on the 3-year/30K extended warranty on the original purchase of my 2015 GSW TDI.

Every time I go there, their service department is just top notch. They signed my "anti-fix" paperwork, I signed their paperwork declining the Dieselgate recall, and they said my OBD2 lock was cool. The service advisor said that for maintenance visits, there was no need to access the ECU directly.

-- Nicole

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
Very nice. It is hard to find good, respectful dealers. I must admit, I am interested in your OBD2 lock. Can you provide pictures. IF I ever flash mine, I want to be sure my money is not wasted by a technician on autopilot.

Drive safe.

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
The service advisor said that for maintenance visits, there was no need to access the ECU directly.

-- Nicole
My wife took the Jetta for an oil change at our local VW Guru. When she got back I noticed the gauges function on our kenwood headunit was no longer working.

I thought maybe the wires that go to the OBDII port came loose or fell out.

So I check the OBDII port and see the wires for the Maestro that go into the port were cut off!?!?!?!?

Luckily the wires from the headunit had enough slack I was able to pull out some more and reconnect to the OBDII port.

I don't understand why he needed to access the port for an oil change. Even if he did he could have just pulled the wires out. I don't understand the need to cut them.

I'm going to give him a call and see if he can explain himself.

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
My wife took the Jetta for an oil change at our local VW Guru. When she got back I noticed the gauges function on our kenwood headunit was no longer working.

I thought maybe the wires that go to the OBDII port came loose or fell out.

So I check the OBDII port and see the wires for the Maestro that go into the port were cut off!?!?!?!?

Luckily the wires from the headunit had enough slack I was able to pull out some more and reconnect to the OBDII port.

I don't understand why he needed to access the port for an oil change. Even if he did he could have just pulled the wires out. I don't understand the need to cut them.

I'm going to give him a call and see if he can explain himself.
That's really odd. If you find out what's the reasoning behind cutting your wires, please post it here.

Did you have the wire for the headunit hidden underneath the snap-in plastic covers or something?